Fighting in the Razor

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I'm really interested in the EX, with stealth enabled (yes, it does work) but this is a decent vid of the wrong way to fly that bird. Smacks of a Mustang pretending its a Hornet--the guy doesn't ever fly defensive!

One thing, the cockpit is a little blind forward. If you're in a fight and find your target keeps going below your horizon, flip a quick snap roll 180* and your target will be where you want. This pilot doesn't seem to get that either.

He does get what happens when you land a shot with the scatterguns.

Starts time index 7:45. This would be so much better to see with stealth enabled.

View: https://youtu.be/6-mMoW_R2uY

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I'm really interested in the EX, with stealth enabled (yes, it does work) but this is a decent vid of the wrong way to fly that bird. Smacks of a Mustang pretending its a Hornet--the guy doesn't ever fly defensive!

One thing, the cockpit is a little blind forward. If you're in a fight and find your target keeps going below your horizon, flip a quick snap roll 180* and your target will be where you want. This pilot doesn't seem to get that either.

Starts time index 7:45. This would be so much better to see with stealth enabled.

It's not really meant to be a combat ship...

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee

But the Razor is a racing ship. Why would you try to fight in it to begin with? I mean the EX is a competent stealth ship on paper, but even so I'm pretty sure it is just meant to scout. I'd have to say that if you find yourself in a dog fight while piloting a Razor, you are doing something wrong.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
It's not really meant to be a combat ship...
But the Razor is a racing ship. Why would you try to fight in it to begin with? I mean the EX is a competent stealth ship on paper, but even so I'm pretty sure it is just meant to scout. I'd have to say that if you find yourself in a dog fight while piloting a Razor, you are doing something wrong.
But its a racing ship.
this is TEST after all

adjust your expectations accordingly

downward

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
I've had the EX for a wile and flew it a lot but melted it for now however I will buy it back or get a new one I love that little ship but then I like racing and flying really fast.

I have encounter a couple time I got cornered and had to fight my way out in it to jump away.

I does handle it self okay in a fight if you use the speed, that said it's not a fighter it don't handle getting hit very well.

Using it's clear advantage of being nimble and fast to get away and live to fight another day if cornered is the advice I give.

So if you have a clear interest in racing or jump in to do fast scouting of a area I say get it you'll love it.

But it is not good for dogfighting against a equal good pilot in a stronger ship, this is the observation I made so my opinion is build on this.

My conclusion:
It's very good for racing, exploring scouting areas or sneaking past ship in high speed scouting a area of enemy then jump out this is what ti does really good.
And of cause just flying really fast :D

CHEERS!

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I fail to see how this is not an effective combat ship?
I honestly don't know. I'm interested in it because as I said, it may be the ideal stealth recon spotter for the Polaris' torpedoes. If you can drift silently through a sector doing a passive scan, and stop to keep a target wet, then the Polaris can eliminate it from outside detection range. (No word on S10 torp range, but S9 torps are 50km, so it is going to be a very long range.) Using a spotter is key becasue if the Polaris gets in range of the Vanduul Void Bomber's three spinal mounts, it will quickly die.

I like the Razor over the Super-Turtle, because it can outrun anything that spots it, and becasue it is so tiny that several of them will fit into the Polaris hangar. Looks like at least 4 and maybe 6 by the time the Polaris gets resized. So the Polaris can do high speed, long distance jumps with cap ship Q drive, and the Razors are in theater with. This makes gameplay faster and more fun.

The only question is really how does the tiny bird handle combat? I'm disappointed there are still no decent vids of the EX with the stealth enabled. Stealth is enabled folks! You can switch it on with a single button and get real numbers. I'm betting they're lower than the Eclipse. Certainly the radar cross section that matters for active scans will be smaller for the EX than any other ship in game.
So here's this guy shooting stuff with the scatterguns the Razors all come with, and they do seem effective, but what is not effective is flying it essentially motionless to take careful shots. It's like a Gladius, Mustang, etc--you need to fly defensively. I didn't see the guy strafe even once. He never circled to get behind an opponent. Just not using the astonishing acceleration and maneuverability to his advantage.

In short, if you want to know how it fights, you need to use the stealth to sneak up on opponents, and limit the use of their missiles, and you need to fly defensive.

I would love to see marcsand2 fly a test for us in the EX, or someone else who knows light fighter combat tactics. The fact this thing can outrun anyting other than an M50, including all Vanduul fighters; means it could have a place in fleet engagements.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
It's very good for. . .exploring scouting areas or sneaking past ship in high speed scouting an area. . .
Also, it is pretty great as standard equipped. Certainly you can custom it for minor improvements, but all the guts are completely usable (I don't know another ship i would not modify) so if it gets all blowed up, it costs nothing to replace so long as you have insurance. That's a key economic issue. The problem is it costs twice what an Arrow does.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Also, it is pretty great as standard equipped. Certainly you can custom it for minor improvements, but all the guts are completely usable (I don't know another ship i would not modify) so if it gets all blowed up, it costs nothing to replace so long as you have insurance. That's a key economic issue. The problem is it costs twice what an Arrow does.
Yeah exactly that to, it's good to go as it is no change is needed... cause it's a wasted effort and cash. ;- )

If you have all the ship you want or most of them it is a good ship to have..

CHEERS!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I like the Razor over the Super-Turtle, because it can outrun anything that spots it, and becasue it is so tiny that several of them will fit into the Polaris hangar. Looks like at least 4 and maybe 6 by the time the Polaris gets resized. So the Polaris can do high speed, long distance jumps with cap ship Q drive, and the Razors are in theater with. This makes gameplay faster and more fun.
You do realize that smashing 4-6 ships into a hangar bay only equipped to handle 1 means that you are going to be replacing your ships a lot. Dunno if you were aware, but a hangar bay only slotted for 1 ship will only magnetically lock down 1 ship. The others will toss around in the hangar as soon as you make any maneuvers with your Polaris.

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Don't know for sure yet, but if I were to bet I would say they are going to treat it like cargo. Once the cargo grid is full you can put boxes wherever but they won't be secured the same way. Hangar bays are probably going to be the same way to prevent you from cramming more than the rated number of ships in them.

Forgot your password?