Game Capture Devices

Euthanize91

Lieutenant
May 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Euthanize
Hey everyone,

I am posting to hopefully gain some information and some preferences from you all! I have been thinking about purchasing myself a game capture device so that I can stream from my Xbox One console every once in a while as there is content on there which is not available on PC. (SHOCKING I KNOW!)

With that being said, is anyone familiar or has had experience with the Elgato game capture device(s)/series?

I would appreciate your thoughts or if you have any other suggestions for me.

-Euth

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
I'm also curious about streaming setups. I've yet to try it and would like to know what experienced streamers are using.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
so what are you guys looking for? A card for inside your pc, or do you guys want a box outside of it? Anything fancy?

o-BHG-o

Space Marshal
Mar 25, 2014
RSI Handle
o-BHG-o
Thinking I will convert my old rig to a streaming box (when SC launches and I have to replace the whole thing) but I'll be honest I'm not sure how that works, alternatively I would be happy with internal/external add on card.

KingNerd

Admiral
Jul 14, 2015
RSI Handle
KingNerd
I've heard that Elgato devices have issues with getting your voice into the game when live? My friends had one a few years ago, maybe the newest ones dont have the same issue so check out the model you're looking to buy and google "Elgato voice recording issue" or something like that.

They could record the game because it came out of the console into the elgato, but the voice goes into the controller which bypasses the recording device? Something weird like that. Only an issue if you're playing multiplayer games and want to add commentary.

Reactions: o-BHG-o

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
I have been hearing good things about AVerMedia, if you do not mind external they have a nice selection at under $200

Reactions: o-BHG-o

lex

Space Marshal
Jan 3, 2015
RSI Handle
rlex
Doesn't xbox one support streaming out of the box?
I was using capture card (AverMedia Live Gamer HD) for a long time. Some PS3 but mainly PC because i'm too lazy to configure OBS for every game. Recently finally switched to monitor capture and now my capture card collecting dust..
First of all, it will not help your CPU when streaming PC games (common mistake). DirectShow in windows is crap and capturing from any directshow device takes ALOT of CPU resources.
Second, on consoles there is DRM known as "HDCP", so to capture console games you need HDCP stripper since you most likely will be using HDMI for capture card. This DRM is bypassed by HDCP "strippers", sometimes also called "splitters". Prices vary from 20$ (ViewHD products) to 200$+ (HDFury products)
Third, getting your voice AND game sound to your stream will be hard. Requires tinkering with virtual audio cable, multiple devices, etc.

Elgato is OK, but i haven't contacted their support.
AverMedia is complete crap when it comes to product support. No replies for weeks. I do, however, got quick response from local reseller who ensured this was faulty unit and arranged replacement. Also their drivers and capture software hasn't updated for a long time, but they do released win10 software and drivers (Which, it seems, hasn't changed anything, i was using drivers from 8.1 and everything worked)

Reactions: KingNerd

Euthanize91

Lieutenant
May 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Euthanize
So I already have a PC set up that is working outstanding for myself and viewers. I am just looking into different capture cards (external) for my xbox one so that I can use my pc set up to stream instead of the very simple and boring xbox one steam capabilities. You cannot use a layout or any follower/donation/sub alerts with the standard xbox streaming service.

Azmodeth

Grand Admiral
Jun 10, 2015
RSI Handle
Azmodeth
how come you simply can't stream without equipment ? Aren't PCd pretty fast these days... What exactly is streaming tough on?

Euthanize91

Lieutenant
May 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Euthanize
I do stream with my PC, i am looking at options to stream my Xbox One game play from my PC so that I am able to have a more customized experience for my viewers with follow/donation alerts, a stream overlay and so on which is not available at this time by only using the Xbox one streaming app.

Reactions: mromutt

bod699

Admiral
Jul 28, 2015
RSI Handle
bod699
I have an old Elgato Game Capture that I bought when the Xbox One is launched. I dont play to many xbox games (only platform exclusives) but have also used the elgato device to stream Dreamcast and SNES.

The one I have works well, a little tinkering to get everything synched in OBS. They have a Game Capture HD now which gives better performance, my old one doesnt do 1080p, max 720p @ 60fps. However the new one doesnt work with legacy consoles like Dreamcast.

I am very happy with the device for what I paid for it and dont need 1080p for console stuff at the moment.

I am planning a streaming PC myself later in the year when I upgrade my main system, most streamers I know that dual box streams do use an avermedia card for that purpose. Never experienced it myself though.

Reactions: Euthanize91

Euthanize91

Lieutenant
May 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Euthanize
Thanks for the input Bod, I myself have also heard nothing but great things about the avermedia capture cards as well. Worth looking into.

-Euth

1stGhostLive

Captain
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
1stghostlive
I hear people talking about using game capture for their PC games and I wonder why? Is there an overriding reason to use dedicated hardware for capture and streaming of your game? I stream through the same PC I am playing on. It can affect Frame rate but not generally to a point where it is overly difficult to play. Is there a reason to even look at this?

Euthanize91

Lieutenant
May 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Euthanize
I hear people talking about using game capture for their PC games and I wonder why? Is there an overriding reason to use dedicated hardware for capture and streaming of your game? I stream through the same PC I am playing on. It can affect Frame rate but not generally to a point where it is overly difficult to play. Is there a reason to even look at this?

Not sure if this is regards to the topic in general or to someones comment/something specific but I am looking for an easy way to stream my console gaming through my pc and the only way to do this is with a game capture card device.

1stGhostLive

Captain
Dec 5, 2014
RSI Handle
1stghostlive
Not sure if this is regards to the topic in general or to someones comment/something specific but I am looking for an easy way to stream my console gaming through my pc and the only way to do this is with a game capture card device.
Sorry My reply was a bit off topic. I see people discussing capture hardware and I wonder why PC gamers would do so. I understand the need to cap the play from a console. I just wandered into your conversation Sorry for the derail.

Euthanize91

Lieutenant
May 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Euthanize
Sorry My reply was a bit off topic. I see people discussing capture hardware and I wonder why PC gamers would do so. I understand the need to cap the play from a console. I just wandered into your conversation Sorry for the derail.
All good, I enjoy reading other people's thoughts on the topic as broad as it is. I don't plan on using any capture card device for my pc setup.

Farasalt

Vice Admiral
Mar 7, 2015
RSI Handle
Farasalt
I'm personally, after a lot of research, getting a Avermedia Live Gamer HD for my stream PC.

My setup is going to become a dual box rig. This is to lighten the system load on my gaming PC while streaming.
It will also allow me to use some of the highest quality encoders at 60FPS, rather than my current settings (for SC) which use a fast encoder at 30FPS.

I'll also see a pretty measurable increase in my free gaming PC resources (thus, higher graphics settings and framerate in game) due to no longer having to dedicate around 20% of my CPU Cycles to encoding video for broadcast.

Guss De Blöd

Admiral
Donor
Jul 22, 2015
RSI Handle
gussdeblod
Maybe some people don't have a PC powerful enough to not care about frame losses while recording/streaming. I know that I don't have that issue, especially since I'm using shadowplay to record.

Forgot your password?