GIB POLARIS... M2 or C2? 600i or Phoenix?

ShadyYoYo

Commander
Dec 5, 2019
RSI Handle
ShadyYoYo
I currently own the $695 Exploration pack. I've got those 5 slots of LTI in my hangar and want to utilize them. I've put some upgrades into it already, Terrapin to Valkyrie, DUR to Retaliator, Cyclone RN to Mercury and the Dragonfly to a Titan. I'm planning on upgrading the Carrack to a Polaris, because it's the better looking and best looking ship in the 'verse. Also, I want to be one of TEST's enforcers.🥊

Below are my 2950 Anniversary sale plans. Now as the thread states, I'm trying to figure out if I should get the M2 or C2? and should I swap out the 600i with a Phoenix? Also, do you think I should just have a Titan for my Polaris instead of a Gladius? I'd love to use the Titan as more of a troop transport/strike team ship. Instead of a Gladius, maybe get a Vulcan or a Nova/Ballista/Rover for my Hercules? My gameplay plans are mainly to stick with a large group and defend TEST resources, or resources of other orgs that I end up with or get hired out to help. I'm a social gamer that doesn't mind being a taxi for strike teams. I'm most likely going to avoid exploration unless the fleet I'm with decides to move out, at that time I'll gladly be part of a scouting party for a new temp home. Lastly, SRV is the most underrated ship.:like:
fleetview (1).jpg

Reactions: Vashpede

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Not sure the Titan will fit in the Polaris so I'd be careful of that.
The M2 has more armor than the C2 but how much that will impact things is unknown and the second part, if the Hercules is under that much fire its already in trouble unless it's being used to hot drop forces and tanks into a contested LZ the reduction of cargo, seems to be a hard sell. So you have to ask yourself if you only want to use the Hercules for planetside combat then the M2 would be the preferred ship. If you want to also use it for cargo transport then the C2 would be more beneficial.

As for the Phoenix what Josh did to the VIP section is amazing and I am truly going to keep it. The question is beyond RP and VIP transport missions it really doesn't have a purpose that is not outshined by other ships like the 600i Explorer, Aquila or Corsair if you want to get a mid-sized explorer/multipurpose ship. So on this, you'll have to ask yourself if the looks of the ship are more important then function.

I would recommend keeping the Titan and/or Gladius as both will always have roles in the verse and in any team play. Especially the Gladius as it's going to be useful in any fleet combat and can easily be launched from a Polaris, Idris, and Javelin, while the Titan might fit in an Idris and Javelin but mostly may be limited to a Kraken.

The SRV is truly a gem especially as a support craft for social gameplay. The other ship that would be highly prized and useful in any group would be the Vulcan.

The Polaris has the potential to be a truly leading combat ship but I have a feeling its operating costs are going to be so high as to be hard to impossible operate as a daily ship and so it's good you have alternative ships.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
I think what you have in that picture is good and since I know you, I have a feeling you will be happier with the Pheonix and the C2 instead of the M2.

Also you can get ships in game so starting off with a few decent ships and earning money doing what you want to do with Test can get you those other ships that you want, especially the ones that do not seem like they will be a giant grind like the Vulcan or most ground vehicles, but you know my 2 cents already haha.

ShadyYoYo

Commander
Dec 5, 2019
RSI Handle
ShadyYoYo
I think the Titan should fit since the Polaris is meant to house a Sabre, and the Sabre is 2m larger than the Titan. Unless the Titan is taller then there might be a problem.🤷‍♂️

I definitely like the idea of dropping tanks and ballistas into hellish LZs, but how viable will that be? I'm always game to be more defensive though and so I'm definitely leaning towards the M2. I can't see myself needing an extra 200 scu of cargo space, but the price is a little nicer on the C2. I'm really hoping that there are more ground war/planetside battles. I'm not much for space combat or aerial combat in general, but as a First Person Shooter fan, I like the idea of tactical ground combat over large landscapes. I play way too much Rainbow Six Siege and CoD. Don't get me wrong, I can't wait to use my Polaris and obliterate another capital ship. I just can't see myself being an ace pilot anytime soon.

I'm thinking more and more about buying the SRV and Vulcan instead of a Gladius. I like the diversity that brings to being able to help people in need, which is a solid way to go as a more social gamer... but I also like raising hell and causing chaos. I have 2 sides, one that likes to help those that I deem are in need... and the other side likes to give hell to jackasses who troll other players. I'll give up 3 hours to talk a noob through some problems, but if I see someone giving another player grief then I have no problem consistently spawn killing them and talking trash.:o7::like:

Reactions: Bambooza

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Other than the stronger armor the M2 doesnt really have much going for it. It's got a couple more guns and lower cargo space.

I originally got the C2 because of the space in it, but after thinking about carrying my Tonk, I wouldn't really be using it for cargo, so I looked at the M2. For the upgrade price you're just not getting much of anything.

I ended up going all the way up to the A2, which can only carry my Tonk, but adds almost double the firepower over the M2 and adds S10 bombs.

Regardless none of the Hercules series are meant for cargo, they're vehicle transports. So you need to ask yourself how many vehicles do you want to transport? The C2 can hold two Tonks and maybe some small bikes. Or a single Tonk, a couple Ursas, some bikes, and/or possibly a Cyclone or two.

That extra 200SCU isn't just cargo space, its floor space in the hold to carry vehicles. The M2 will hold a few vehicles less than the C2.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Other than the stronger armor the M2 doesnt really have much going for it. It's got a couple more guns and lower cargo space.

I originally got the C2 because of the space in it, but after thinking about carrying my Tonk, I wouldn't really be using it for cargo, so I looked at the M2. For the upgrade price you're just not getting much of anything.

I ended up going all the way up to the A2, which can only carry my Tonk, but adds almost double the firepower over the M2 and adds S10 bombs.

Regardless none of the Hercules series are meant for cargo, they're vehicle transports. So you need to ask yourself how many vehicles do you want to transport? The C2 can hold two Tonks and maybe some small bikes. Or a single Tonk, a couple Ursas, some bikes, and/or possibly a Cyclone or two.

That extra 200SCU isn't just cargo space, its floor space in the hold to carry vehicles. The M2 will hold a few vehicles less than the C2.

I agree. I personally am sticking with the C2 due to the more cargo space and figured if the LZ or site is hot I'd rather be boots on the ground fighting then flying transport. The other thing to think about is with planetside environment effects the Hercules has the potential to be far more effective at moving stuff from space to the ground then ships like the Caterpillar or Hull which seem to be more focused on space transport.

Caterpillar cargo 576.
Hull B cargo 384 (Hull C can't land with cargo)
Constellation Taurus cargo ? > 96 hopefully similar to the Hull B.
C2 Cargo 624
M2 Cargo 468
A2 Cargo 234

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Its hard to tell someone what they should get, most of it comes down to preference and gameplay specifically suited to you. That being said I am going with the M2 as I like the idea of being more military grade and able to enter hot zones more efficiently to drop those ballista's off or supplies, you stated your primary function was going to be defending Test resources so the M2 is the clear choice imo, as far as luxury goes the 600i is one of the best looking ships in the game to, the Phoenix doesn't appeal to me as much but still a great looking ship, I also like the fact that you will have some modularity with the 600i, no details of that yet but they were clear its going to be modular. As for the Titan again its playstyle, if you want to move people then that's the clear choice.

Forgot your password?