Gonna start streaming.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I did do a bit of streaming on the xbox but it was hard work with the built in app you couldn't see what was going on in your own chan or interact much. Want to do it on PC now and do it properly.

Looking for advice from experienced streamers on equipment. Two options:

1. Integrate streaming into my existing gaming PC. I.e get a cap card and a small mixer and a mic and webcam and just get it running. PC is a few years old now so not up to the spec that most established streamers have.

2. Use a spare old(ish) laptop as the streaming PC with a USB cap card. The laptop is core i5 and I can stick some more ram in if needed - do you think this would be powerful enough to cope with the straming and overlays and twitch etc to free up the gaming pc for pure gaming?

Cheers all and don't forget test stream best straem

Rainshine

Captain
Donor
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
RainingLight
You really don't need a capture card. It's a bit of legacy tech that won't really go away. Of course, there are some situation where it's needed, but in 90% of streaming it's unnecessary. Good breakdown if you are dead set on it; https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/which-capture-card-should-i-get-for-streaming-or-recording-and-do-i-need-one.10/

All you really need to get setup is OBS, a decent CPU(to handle both the game and encoding simultaneously), and a solid internet connection. No other hoops required. I've successfully streamed 1080p 30fps with no issues with my rig, never bothered to try 60 because my internet is too slow for that.

I'd recommend starting light with just OBS. If your serious and your channel gets around, look into a solid webcam/microphone setup. Then, if you are really pushing with a solid channel and viewerbase, then look into high end cap card solutions (which can easily run over a grand for nicer setups).

Reactions: BUTUZ

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
OK thanks for that. Try before you buy is good advice!! I would like to stream some XBOX Games I have such as Elite Dangerous and Forza 5 or 6. I'll need a cap card to accept a HDMI input.

I'll start on the PC first and see how it goes.

Forgot your password?