Help me spend my money...Poll included.

Upgrading from Avenger to a Freelancer But not sure which one.

• Total voters

chimpdaddy

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2015
RSI Handle
Chimpdaddy
I want to upgrade my Avenger to a Freelancer, but can't figure out which one is the best fit. I am most attracted to the business side of SC, and will be forced to fly solo ships a lot due to family restrictions on time. I am not a good dog-fighter so I am attracted to the armament on the base model Freelancer. Though I am intrigued by the upgraded Jump drive, scanner and fuel capacity of the DUR and how this might help with finding "Stuff" to sell. The MAX is attractive for pure hauling but has a sitting duck feel when it comes to pirates.

Based on this which way would you go?

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I have a DUR because I believe that it is the best 'all around' ship in SC. I can fly solo or with 3 friends (or NPCs).
It is good for exploring and carries the same cargo load as the base Freelancer.
I would not trade my DUR for any other ship.
Also, the rear turret can be replaced with a tractor beam for exploring (preferably if you are not alone).

Reactions: SlowFuse

Kersakov

Rear Admiral
Donor
Apr 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Kersakov
A DUR is just great all round. You can switch between exploring for stuff and information to sell, to hauling, to whatever. If you're playing solo a lot, I think the flexibility would be a lot better for keeping things interesting.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
The DUR sings to me of freedom and pride. It seems to know it is well endowed, and still refuses to wear a brassiere, simultaneously declaring it's liberation and providing immature drunks like myself comedic material. Oh yeah, and of course, you can single hand it, haul lots of junk, and do that sciency stuff too!

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
I'll dissent and say MAX. I love the extra cargo, the expanded hull, and doubled-up engine mounts. The shield is slightly smaller, but you can also mount a larger powerplant, opening the way to using more powerful weapons. But you can't go wrong with either the MAX or DUR.

Edit: I just need to point out those engines again. Even with the incoming size increase for Freelancers, the MAX is currently projected to be using the same number and size for engines as the Constellation, but with half the mass. I feel like the Freelancer MAX will actually be fast.

Reactions: honcho12

Zull Reicher

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Tiltz
I would wait for the Anniversay Sale and get the MIS myself. But I did vote for the dur cause you get the 4x weaps and the extended fuel tanks.

P.S.

I heard from some Testies at Citizencon that the freelancer was NOT getting a size increase even though there are vids on the web showing the changes. Not sure what is going on there

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
I'll dissent and say MAX. I love the extra cargo, the expanded hull, and doubled-up engine mounts. The shield is slightly smaller, but you can also mount a larger powerplant, opening the way to using more powerful weapons. But you can't go wrong with either the MAX or DUR.

Edit: I just need to point out those engines again. Even with the incoming size increase for Freelancers, the MAX is currently projected to be using the same number and size for engines as the Constellation, but with half the mass. I feel like the Freelancer MAX will actually be fast.
I 100% agree! I think it'd make a really fun smuggler/blockade runner

RedDevil

Space Marshal
Sep 4, 2015
RSI Handle
RedDevil9
I'm trying to decide which freelancer to get also, I have been tossing up between the DUR and MAX, but the MIS might be on sale during the Anniversary sale so now I'm even more confused which to go for.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk

vindslav

Vice Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
vindslav
Can't decide?
Don't, go spend the money on a movie and dinner or something. I hear the Last Witch Hunter is pretty good, and James Bonds will be out fairly soonish.

CBS Cares.

Reptar Khan

Vice Admiral
Donor
Feb 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Quail_Girl
Don't upgrade yet wait and see if you want to melt it for an LTI avenger variant!!!
Coming Soon(TM)
[aniversary sale Nov 19th + video sneak peak showing Search & Rescue Avenger variant]

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Freelancer is also getting a major rework done. I'd hold off on the variants until they're finished. Freelancer is growing a good chunk bigger.

You can always upgrade your base Freelancer to a Max or Dur later if you want, but you can't downgrade them for the forseeable future (yes they said it would be coming eventually, but they also said that about automated unmelts and Orgs 2.0 soooooo)

Edit: MIS is also coming back on sale for the Anniversary sale in a week or so, almost 100% sure. Less cargo, but its got more missiles than you can shake a stick at.

Zull Reicher

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2015
RSI Handle
Tiltz
Freelancer is also getting a major rework done. I'd hold off on the variants until they're finished. Freelancer is growing a good chunk bigger.

You can always upgrade your base Freelancer to a Max or Dur later if you want, but you can't downgrade them for the forseeable future (yes they said it would be coming eventually, but they also said that about automated unmelts and Orgs 2.0 soooooo)

Edit: MIS is also coming back on sale for the Anniversary sale in a week or so, almost 100% sure. Less cargo, but its got more missiles than you can shake a stick at.
yeah. like 50 missles or something CRAZY!
Much better pirate ship than the cutlass

Forgot your password?