Hoplite

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Interesting analysis:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUkUjCh-tz0

I would just note two things. First off, the Redeemer and Retaliator have docking collars, so are useful for boarding, whereas any sort of boarding from a Hoplite is going to require some EVA. Not sure how practical that will be.

Secondly, I must respectfully disagree that the Hoplite will be faster or have greater range than the Redeemer. This seems to me most unlikely. These two ships have almost the same mass, but the Redeemer has twice the thrust. It has a pair of TR5's same as the Retaliator, which is almost 5 times its mass. The Redeemer is going to be FAST, but it will no doubt lose to the Vanguard in atmosphere, since the latter has a real airframe.

IMHO, if you plan to be in engagements on the surface, you will want a Hoplite despite there is no lower turret. Most drop ships do not drop under direct fire, as that is far too vulnerable. If you plan ops in space, you'll probably want the docking collar and greater power, speed and maneuverability of the Redeemer, so long as you can get sufficient crew to protect the ship with all those guns.

And just a final note, it still remains to be seen how formidable the Vanguards will be when flown with the primary weapon on gimbal. If you are willing to work very hard as a pilot, you may find the Vanguard is one of the most effective fighting ships, just because it can do so much more than a fighter, and yet may make a decent fighter too. I still think you will not find out unless you fly the primary on gimbal, since the ship rotates too slowly to dogfight, UNLESS all you need to do is keep your target somewhere in front of the ship. That changes everything about how you would fly that ship.

IMHO.

The Chaos Pope

Grand Admiral
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
The_Chaos_Pope
Lack of a docking collar is a major issue for ships designed for troop transport. This leads me to believe that it's intended for transporting troops between carriers, planetary assault or a stopgap measure of some sort on CIG's part (IE they had a set of missions written for the Espera Prowler, but that's nowhere close enough to production to make it into SQ42 at this stage). Having to EVA for an assault rather than using a docking collar or clamping onto the hull and cutting through increases the time to infiltrate the target ship and exposes Marines to getting mowed down by ship fire.

It probably would have taken longer to get the rework of the Redeemer than to add this replacement rear module. Perhaps we will be taking part in some mission that flops horribly that spurs the UEE Navy to look into a gunship project that eventually leads to the development of the Redeemer.

In any case, I'd probably say that there are better options in the PU lore and would not recommend the Hoplite.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
It probably would have taken longer to get the rework of the Redeemer than to add this replacement rear module.
They're still planning on reworking the Redeemer though aren't they? I haven't heard anything about them cancelling the remodel. From what I understand, the look of the redeemer is more of a placeholder and they are actually heading towards some fairly significant changes.

Beerjerker

Grand Admiral
Sep 8, 2015
RSI Handle
Beerjerker
Here's Noob's take on the Vanguard with the loadout set for alpha-strikes rather than primary/secondary.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QwdGb6KdBo

and here is the weapons chart mentioned, that says the Behring M7A is doing 633 DPS. I can't seem to make it open so maybe someone else can tell me how I'm being a bone-head.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13LzkKzDOKIdrhwL5E2n2Co6THa74A2izxn8lykDuPAk/edit#gid=998208401
There are tabs at the very bottom for categories, one for weapons, sorted by size. Took a few times of looking at it to see for me. If that's not what you were having trouble with, I guess I am the bone-head.
Also, it seems to work best when page opened with Chrome. Firefox seemed to load forever.
Hope this is a help.

The Chaos Pope

Grand Admiral
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
The_Chaos_Pope
They're still planning on reworking the Redeemer though aren't they? I haven't heard anything about them cancelling the remodel. From what I understand, the look of the redeemer is more of a placeholder and they are actually heading towards some fairly significant changes.
They haven't canceled it but they're under a time crunch to produce Squadron 42. The Redeemer needs major reworking to get it flight ready, the Vanguard is already flight ready, and I assume that it was less time consuming to build a new variant of a flight ready ship than to bring the Redeemer up to flight status.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
There are tabs at the very bottom for categories, one for weapons, sorted by size. Took a few times of looking at it to see for me. If that's not what you were having trouble with, I guess I am the bone-head.
No, I'm the bone-head. I never saw the tabs. This is a great chart save that it needs to be color coded. As is it wants to make me blind. I like that he's giving average DPS over different time periods but using the earlier "burst" category might have been better in some ways.

Some of the chart makes no sense. Mass drivers with weapons spread and Jokers without looks like typos to me, but I sure wish we had this guy in Test. When Beta opens we need folks interested to do lots of systematic tests.

BTW, as per all the discussion that the Redeemer needs a serious workover to get it flying, I would just remind it has been flying for many months. It was featured in the Alpha release with FPS, and flew a boarding team into a pirate held station. It flies as is, but I do recall they had lots of Z fighting and soft edges to work through. Isn't it in people's hangars still? A walk through could tell you how close it is to release if they're updating the model as they work.

Last edited:

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
They haven't canceled it but they're under a time crunch to produce Squadron 42. The Redeemer needs major reworking to get it flight ready, the Vanguard is already flight ready, and I assume that it was less time consuming to build a new variant of a flight ready ship than to bring the Redeemer up to flight status.
That's what I thought/hoped. I still love the concept of the Redeemer and I will be keeping it in my hanger until they finish up with it. It has quite a bit of promise and could still turn out to be a major player on the combat scene. Well, as long as it doesn't get any bigger. It should be stupid fast, extremely well armed, and just a beast with a small crew.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
a stopgap measure of some sort on CIG's part
My thoughts exactly.
It probably would have taken longer to get the rework of the Redeemer than to add this replacement rear module.
Yup. Concur.
Yes, it needs to be completely reworked. And it may end up getting changed quite a bit. It may have been too much to promise, what with all the awesomeness that there's supposed to be. I hope they keep it the way it is, but I doubt it. :(

I still want one.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
My thoughts exactly.

Yup. Concur.

Yes, it needs to be completely reworked. And it may end up getting changed quite a bit. It may have been too much to promise, what with all the awesomeness that there's supposed to be. I hope they keep it the way it is, but I doubt it. :(

I still want one.

you can have the one i'll never buy.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
They hired at least one of the team that built the Redeemer, and at one point said it's on his schedule for when he finishes something else that I can't remember right now, so it won't be going over to Foundry 42 for rework.
I think they hired all four of them--"The Four Horsemen" as I recall. Does anyone know where the rumor came from that the Redeemer was going o be reworked? That does not make sense to me considering it beat out ships like the Scimitar, which they are still interested in. The Scimitar is a very interesting ship (despite the crappy visibility), but they're putting time into the Polaris right now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8SYf8Cf1Rc

The interior is really the seller, but she is pretty.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VyBSUuVw9o

FluffyVonRage

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Palegrave
I think they hired all four of them--"The Four Horsemen" as I recall. Does anyone know where the rumor came from that the Redeemer was going o be reworked? That does not make sense to me considering it beat out ships like the Scimitar, which they are still interested in. The Scimitar is a very interesting ship (despite the crappy visibility), but they're putting time into the Polaris right now.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8SYf8Cf1Rc

The interior is really the seller, but she is pretty.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VyBSUuVw9o
Looks like some kind of strike corvette?

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Does anyone know where the rumor came from that the Redeemer was going o be reworked?
I believe they need to run it through the new(ish) ship pipeline to get it balanced. Maybe rework isn't the right term. Perhaps balancing pass would be better.

fiarce

Space Marshal
Jul 19, 2016
RSI Handle
fiarce
Does anyone know where the rumor came from that the Redeemer was going o be reworked?
There was one of the recent CIG shows in which it was stated specifically that the guy the hired in from the team that made the Redeemer is working on Squadron 42 stuff right now and they are not doing anything with the Redeemer until he can work on it again. This way it can stay true to the original design, etc.

Forgot your password?