I love S.C. But some patches make me drink more than others....Asking for a friend

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
They say misery loves company... I had a bit of a bad day and it shows. Sometimes ya got the world by the gnarleys and other days you become the gnarleys. Just saying I hope one of you inebriated brothers and sisters have had at least a few interesting stories of your own to share.
Sorry for the limited skill set but Im so old you would have to cut me in half and count the rings.
Best regards Gang!
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Joi-XvrYlvU

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Hey, nive vid, that was alright to watch!

As for the PTU, Ooof, that's rough!
I took a shot as per recommendation before watching this, so at least I could laugh about your suffering a bit lol

10 years later and we still fall through floors, it's just unbelievable.
Well, akshually... I said this on day one, right here in this forum when CIG explained how they are so awesome for making the player fully physicalized and a 100% "real", on server, so everyone sees the same thing. It's never gonna be stable. If the physics check fucks up for a nano second, if you lose a single packet and become desynced for just a moment, you will be out in space in the middle of a quantum jump, or falling towards the core of a planet, no matter what.
And so we are here 10 years later, and my prediction still holds a 100% true.

As for the ATC not working.. well, we've seen worse. It's quiet normal to be fair, happened a lot even when Live was in an otherwise mostly playable (read: the best it ever was) state, which it most certainly isn't now.

The inventory management needs a rethink cos this might be somewhat immersive but it's way beyond the "rule of cool" or anything fun. I've watched countless videos of youtubers being nice about it, how "it almost works"... But it's just a chaotic mess that was made by a programmer for a programmer, not by a designer for a player. Yes the idea is kind good and unique, but it's implementation is bad.
Ships have a bunch of empty space, unused shelves and cupboards and stuff that looks like storage compartments. Those need to be unified into one big "ship" inventory again so we actually use it. Some ships already have these compartments you could open and an inventory window would pop up. We should be able to utilize those.

I'm okay with not being able to carry around 6 machine guns and 5 rocket launchers in my pocket along with the 17 sets or armor I just looted off the corpses. That is fine by me.
TEST will need to open a new division, the Janitors. A small crew that goes in after a mission with dedicated boxes for guns, armor, junk... and helps you clean up (aka Loot the place). Then dump the boxes in your ship and get payed per item or something.
What I'm not okay with is having to que up everything on that messy UI, from a single tampon to 5373522 Tons of spacecatfood. It's just too messy especially with the mixed up inventory UI that never ever worked properly to begin with.

Regarding your comment on CIG wanting your progression slowed: YES. They do. All the time. Lowering rewards raising prices, introducing grinds (reputation locked mission instead of progression locked chains). My issue with this isn't that it takes time to get anything meaningful done, that's pretty much why SC is kinda uniquely immersive. Having to take the train to the hangars every time and so on, I actually like that.
My issue with this always has been and still is, TTK or rather time-till-reset. If you mess up just a tiny bit, if the server messes up which it does constantly, if you run into someone who gets lucky or is bigger than you... 99% of the time you die in less than 2 seconds, and have to start again from zero.
I'm fine with there being consequence, but I cannot mitigate the risk, as it's so fast and unpredictable that it's always out of my hands. It depends on server lag, desync, and so on. There is no way to use game mechanics like repair or eningeering, cos you and your ship will be in a state where you will be reset to the start. It's fucking pointless! I cannot be bothered to do anything that's not the lowest possible risk, because I will most likely lose my ship or my character doing even the most trivial things such as stepping through a door!

Anyways, happy thoughts!

This is usually the state when I go and massacre a bunch of bugs in helldivers so I can feel happy thoughts for real, but even that is being taken away by the constant nerfs to anything that dared to be fun for a second... The lates patch which was hyped to bits is actually atrocious. Anyways, that's another problem for another day.

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
All I got to say is.. if you think this is bad, get yourself invited to Evocati.

In fairness though, most of us didn't feel like it was ready to release to wave 1. The big blockers got knocked down (you can read the many bugfixes on the patch notes pages) but actual gameplay got really clunky. Lots of iteration needs to happen to get it to an enjoyable state...

GPcustoms

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 3, 2019
RSI Handle
GPcustom
Ive tried to express some of my minor setbacks with humor as best I could :o7:
Yesterday for example I experienced an elevator bug where everything shut down and I became invisible .:wut: After a few minutes the elevator began to work and let me out into a locked down hangar and I entertained myself by shooting at a pico for a while.
Going to go for a drive and come back with a fresh set of eyes and see what kind of trouble I can get myself into.
Even at its worst I can still find something to do in the PTU.
Cheers:o7:

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Ive tried to express some of my minor setbacks with humor as best I could :o7:
Yesterday for example I experienced an elevator bug where everything shut down and I became invisible .:wut: After a few minutes the elevator began to work and let me out into a locked down hangar and I entertained myself by shooting at a pico for a while.
Going to go for a drive and come back with a fresh set of eyes and see what kind of trouble I can get myself into.
Even at its worst I can still find something to do in the PTU.
Cheers:o7:
It's all good.. honestly, as crappy as some of the early patches can be, I usually prefer to play in them for a couple of reasons. One is that I like messing around with the new stuff; hard to go back sometimes once a new quality of life feature is working. The other (and tbh main reason!) is that there are fewer other people around. In Evo there is no PvP without consent because it's too disruptive to testing; being an idiot here gets you removed. So it's largely a group of people loosely working together to document what's actually happening. Once it's open to Wave 1 that flavor changes a bit, but most folks are excited to be there, try stuff out and put in the bug reports.

Add me in game; us old guys can learn them younguns a thing or three.

Forgot your password?