If only SC’s world looks like this…

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
This is what happens when games take to long in development they start spending more time trying to upgrade the engine and graphics and it eats into coding other stuff like features.

Then again it's a bit unfair UE has really taken off on its capabilities in the last few years

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
The demos always look spectacular, but its going to be many years before we see anything like that in an MMO.
This is interesting to think about. I wonder how much effort it would take to make a mmo that utilized AWS for the backend and UE for the game client/server. Normally it's the art and game design that take the lions share of development time but UE art lib is growing massive and blueprints make it fairly easy to script game logic and the world building tools are such that even I who is far more comfortable with a code editor can create a armature level.

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
The demos always look spectacular, but its going to be many years before we see anything like that in an MMO.
yes, but a lot of the stuff that CIG has spent a ton of time on...like fire...are now part of the base engines of new generation engines/renderers.

CIG is rapidly coming to the point where the are going to start looking dated as their engine is now several generations old.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
yes, but a lot of the stuff that CIG has spent a ton of time on...like fire...are now part of the base engines of new generation engines/renderers.

CIG is rapidly coming to the point where the are going to start looking dated as their engine is now several generations old.
What do you mean start?

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Don't like Chris Roberts see this....

"Star Citizen pushed 5 more years pending Unreal 5.2 conversion'

doh!
Hum. The art assets would easily transfer. You could remove all of the lod versions.

The planet tech and city scape would need a little rework.

While you joke and it could take CIG 5 years to port what they have I'm not convinced it would honestly take long.

• Glorious
Reactions: PlayWithMeOrDie

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Hum. The art assets would easily transfer. You could remove all of the lod versions.

The planet tech and city scape would need a little rework.

While you joke and it could take CIG 5 years to port what they have I'm not convinced it would honestly take long.
Any assets created in engine would likely be a bitch to port. Everything created in Max, Maya, Z-Brush, etc. should be simple to port. However this is CIG and they have lots of issues fixing things that are simply database entry errors.

Last edited:
  • Glorious
Reactions: PlayWithMeOrDie
Forgot your password?