I'm torn between a Redeemer and a Vanguard =/

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
At the end of the day it's going to be my primary combat ship for whenever I dive into that gameplay loop. I don't need the meta/best ship around and what pulled me to the Vanguards in the first place was their range. Range is something that I don't want to be a limiting factor for me in the future, and the Vanguard's are sold as long range fighters. The sent is particularly sexy thanks to the mysterious e-war stuff. I have a feeling I'll just be applying the ccu for the sent in a few months but I wanna hold out so I don't regret upgrading it. Even if I didn't hold it after it released, could up into another boat for less.
There is one other consideration, the Vanguard is a ship designed for fixed weapons. I highly recommend stick, not keyboard/mouse for it. Like most ships in Star Citizen, you have to put in the stick time to get the most out of it.

For my personal preference, Vanguard, no it isn't close.

I do have a Warden with a Sentinel BUK.

The Vanguard is part of my core fleet, and has been since my first Anniversary sale. I especially like that one Vanguard equals all Vanguards.

My better half liked my Vanguard so much we got her one. We fly them as a pair and it is the ships we pull most.

For a fighter, with our flight styles, we have found the Vanguard fits both of us.

The Vanguard isn't an Arrow, Hawk (we each have a Hawk for early bounties and as our one carrier fighter.) or other light fighter, it requires a different flight mindset but once you get the feel for it, especially when you have a wingman, it is a nasty customer.

I am sitting on a Constellation to Redeemer CCU in my hangar.

I liked the original concept of the Redeemer and its versatility but what we have been told over the past year, about it, has left me flat.

We intend to be bounty hunters, and my Connie looks like it will fill our intended use better than the current information on the Redeemer. I doubt I will be applying that CCU.

Further crewing a Redeemer feels like it will be more difficult than crewing my Retaliator or Carrack.

If you happen to catch "McHale" online, ask to borrow my Vanguard.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Note that there is some sort of module swapping update due in 3.14, so if that includes the hoped for Vanguard modules, they will go up in price next patch. Currently they're still maked as Battlefield Upgrade Kits (BUKs) but I think those include all the guns, etc, and the new expectation is you'll be able to purchase just the center swap modules. The BUKs therefore are a better deal if you want to insure specific weapons. If you fly a Sentinel with the Warden BUK because you want those weapons, I believe that is the only way to insure those weapons. So the BUKs do have some advantages over the incoming system.

Remember that the frames are NOT the same. The Warden comes with the best guns. The Hoplite and Harbinger both have enhanced armor, IIRC. The Sentinel slower but has stealth. You're not going to get real stealh performance with anything other than the Sentinal frame, but you can then put the other three modules in it.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Note that there is some sort of module swapping update due in 3.14, so if that includes the hoped for Vanguard modules, they will go up in price next patch. Currently they're still maked as Battlefield Upgrade Kits (BUKs) but I think those include all the guns, etc, and the new expectation is you'll be able to purchase just the center swap modules. The BUKs therefore are a better deal if you want to insure specific weapons. If you fly a Sentinel with the Warden BUK because you want those weapons, I believe that is the only way to insure those weapons. So the BUKs do have some advantages over the incoming system.

Remember that the frames are NOT the same. The Warden comes with the best guns. The Hoplite and Harbinger both have enhanced armor, IIRC. The Sentinel slower but has stealth. You're not going to get real stealh performance with anything other than the Sentinal frame, but you can then put the other three modules in it.
More likely we will see "Combination Kits" which is everything the BUK is except the one button change.

And they did say it is more than just the module. The Harbinger's extra armor was specifically mentioned as included.

Last edited:

CopperRaven

Ensign
May 19, 2021
RSI Handle
CopperRaven
I literally signed up to this, just to make this post. It was just announced the Redeemers chin turret can now be controlled by the pilot. That a secondary player can take over if you wanted. So now I am truly stuck on which to get. Would that not increase the dps as a single player vs the Vangaurd

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
I literally signed up to this, just to make this post. It was just announced the Redeemers chin turret can now be controlled by the pilot. That a secondary player can take over if you wanted. So now I am truly stuck on which to get. Would that not increase the dps as a single player vs the Vangaurd
2 size 3 and 2 size 4 is roughly the same as a Vanguard's 4 size 2 and one size 5, weapon types being equal. They are going to have to do much better if they want me to unmelt it.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
In case it's not too late for anybody that is still dealing with this debate for themselves, I offer my $0 suggestion that I base on common sense.

Step 1, grab yourself a refreshing beverage of your choice.

Step 2, log into the Verse & rent every ship that you're interested in that is available during the event.

Step 3, test each ship to your content while you've been allowed to help you decide which works best for you present.

Step 4, take your time weighing your options to get the ship that will help you enjoy the game that much more. In my honest opinion, sometimes it's best to wait until you can test each vehicle back to back in order to make the choice that is best for you.

For the Record, I have a Redeemer in my fleet, a Hoplite w/LTI in my BuyBacks & I'm interested in each of the Vanguards for what they bring to different scenarios. I'd like to think that makes me unbiased in this matter as I like them all. Cheers & enjoy the Verse as much as possible.

zelange

Space Marshal
Feb 5, 2018
RSI Handle
zelange
As it look like the price will not go up this sale, i will give my advice too :
Grab a lti token, or a Scorpius with 10y insurance.
upgrade it to the redeemer.
buy and don't apply the redeemer to sentinel ccu.

Buy the sentinel ingame (2millions) because the redeemer loaner is the Valkyrie.

Now wait 3.15 and do what you prefer.

As for what we know today the redeemer look ultra sexy for me
2S3 gimbal + 2s4 for the pilot is around the vanguard dps, can be 4s3 gimbal is the ship is to sluggish.
One friends come and take 2s5, that roughly another vanguard in dps.
Now as john crewe hint and what dataminer found, the redeemer get the same set of components hard-points than 600i, so large power/shield/cooler and medium quantum 2 computers.
Thats 4k regen shield, 6k overclocked.
2scu and all armor and gunrack.

For me is finally the ship where my friends feel good in turrets, feel safe and useful enough to not just bring another ship and experience multicrew happily.

vahadar

Grand Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2020
RSI Handle
vahadar
Now as john crewe hint and what dataminer found, the redeemer get the same set of components hard-points than 600i, so large power/shield/cooler and medium quantum 2 computers.
If true when released, that you be awesome, and a ship I will probably put first on my most liked list.

Also about the upgrade path for the redeemer, i wrote some tips in my guide to lower its cost, i'll repost here (example updated with Invictus infos and because Talon is now released so removed from the chain and replaced by Hull-B, and considering you do not have already CCU in hangar you can use, so only with buying fresh CCU) :
When released, the Redeemer will get a price jump making it even less affordable.
Buy the cheapest token you can get. You can even start with a token of a ship not yet released to gain additional cost saving in the end.
If you want LTI, either get an LTI Warbond token during a concept sale, or a special LTI Warbond LTI CCU when available. Or get a token from grey market.
Let's say you start with an Aurora LN. You don't want to buy an Aurora to Redeemer CCU obviously. You will try to buy as many CCUs of ships not yet released between the Aurora melt value and the Redeemer melt value.
You don't want also to buy all the CCUs needed but just those for the ships not yet released in your upgrade path, from the nearest cheaper ship always available in store (or the nearest limited flight ready ship).
In picture : you buy an Aurora, it is your token (I won't mention insurance here). You buy a Gladius to Hull-B CCU. Gladius is always available, Hull-B not yet released. You buy a Freelancer DUR to Vulture. DUR is always available, Vulture not released. You buy an Andromeda to Redeemer. Andromeda always available, Redeemer not released.
Keep all those CCU in your hangar (or buy them back before each ship release).
Once all "TO" ships are flight ready and released, all those CCUs will have saved you money compared to those new ships value.
You can buy the missing CCUs when you can afford them to complete the upgrade path (assuming the Hull-B did not get as expensive or more than the DUR, and same for the Vulture and the Andromeda) : Aurora to Gladius, Hull-B to DUR, Vulture to Andromeda. Those CCUs will always be available at RSI store. Then you can assemble your cheap Redeemer with all those CCUs!
Of course you could have bet on more intermediate CCU, and maximize on price jumps, like using a Vulture to Taurus CCU (those are two not released ships), then Taurus to Vulcan (as long as Vulcan stays cheaper than the next CCU "FROM" ship, here either Andromeda or Corsair), Vulcan to Corsair, and then Corsair to Scorpius. That is up to your imagination and bet on price jumps :)

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
As it look like the price will not go up this sale, i will give my advice too :
Grab a lti token, or a Scorpius with 10y insurance.
upgrade it to the redeemer.
buy and don't apply the redeemer to sentinel ccu.

Buy the sentinel ingame (2millions) because the redeemer loaner is the Valkyrie.

Now wait 3.15 and do what you prefer.

As for what we know today the redeemer look ultra sexy for me
2S3 gimbal + 2s4 for the pilot is around the vanguard dps, can be 4s3 gimbal is the ship is to sluggish.
One friends come and take 2s5, that roughly another vanguard in dps.
Thats 4k regen shield, 6k overclocked.
2scu and all armor and gunrack.

For me is finally the ship where my friends feel good in turrets, feel safe and useful enough to not just bring another ship and experience multicrew happily.
This is pretty close to what I've settled on, just waiting for the right day to open up. I'm gonna melt the redeemer to sentinel ccu and then ccu my banu defender to the sentinel, the defender has lti but I don't know that it'll truly be that hard to get in game, and if it does dock with the BMM, it'll be docked most of the time anyway. That'll keep the redeemer and the sentinel. I do like the defender, and I know they said they're gonna make some changes to it, but it's pretty cheap as is for aUEC. I think the harbinger/sentinel are flipped with the hoplite/warden.

Dirtbag_Leader

Admiral
Nov 27, 2020
RSI Handle
Dirtbag_Leader
I like to do all my fleet planning based on the CURRENT game state, plus maybe what I see in the roadmap for the near future, so from that perspective here's what I can share (as I too am looking at the forthcoming Redeemer drop). Make of this what you will:
- Vanguard is currently my absolute favorite ship in game. It's my go-to mission runner. Great for combat, great for getting around in/out of atmo quickly, can take a buddy, can hold a mission box, etc. I think only the Cutty challenges it for best all-rounder.
- Redeemer I think will be excellent and things like bunker missions. Lower turrets to blast all those static defense turrets, run in and do the FPS part, then on to the next bunker.
- Redeemer has pretty nice loaners until release: Valkyrie AND a SuperHornet!
- Redeemer -> Warden CCU is only $10. If price goes up but turns out to be kinda shitty (Terrapin!) this is pretty cheap insurance. Course if it's WAY over-valued at the new price, then it makes a nice discount path to something better. Harbinger, Cat, Eclipse, and Aquila are all right there around the $300 mark if needed.
- Summary: I think the Redeemer will be fun to try out, but ultimately will probably be better used as an upgrade path with an expected price increase. A Vanguard (really any) I can't see running around in the 'Verse without!

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Redeemer I think will be excellent and things like bunker missions. Lower turrets to blast all those static defense turrets, run in and do the FPS part, then on to the next bunker.
The M7A is a good match on the front of the Vanguard with the BVRS, since they have the same aim pip, and it ranges out to 6km. You should be able to kill bunkers with it without going inside their range.

TheDubya

Vice Admiral
Mar 26, 2021
RSI Handle
TheDubya
I’m sitting on a CCU for it to a sentinel and am gonna hold out till the release! Hopefully it rocks and if it doesn’t, like so many of you with your helpful advice pointed out, it can easily be swapped to something as the value is likely to go up. Thank you all! :D

Forgot your password?