Keeping up with the Explorations

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
Well one other thought, jump on discord and play with us. There's no reason why it just has to be you and your brother.
Most definitely! =) The exploration side of our game play will be mostly us or if there ends up being a Test exploration fleet we could roll in that, we just have a pace that we like to go at which ends up being either way to fast for some people or too slow, but we plan on being involved with Test for a lot of other parts of the game, as there is so much to do! I for one have a vision of rolling in my Apollo to any of the battles Test gets into to support the troops. I'll keep a cold one next to each bed for when they wake up.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Planetary exploration on foot or by URSA is probably what I will be doing the most (obviously subject to change once we have more information on the PU) if we come across some things from scanning I would like to investigate. So that is where my thought for the Apollo came in, especially if in a system that is not civilized with stations that would have med-bays, but it was just a thought that I wanted to expand my knowledge on as well as gather some other perspectives and opinions.
We don't know much about planetary exploration yet, but it is well to keep in mind it is possible, if not most likely; that multiple X1 Force bikes will be much more efficient than loading everyone up together in a rover. You can then be scanning muiltiple locations at once. So don't assume the ability to carry an Ursa as a baseline. The Apollo will probably be able to carry several X1s, and if you need cargo capacity on the ground to carry loot, you can move your ship. Also note the X1 Force will go places the Ursa will not, so you may have enhanced scan, shields, firepower and mobility in places like caves where the Ursa cannot go.

If the choice is between walking miles of caves on foot, or riding a grav bike, I'll take the bike.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
We don't know much about planetary exploration yet, but it is well to keep in mind it is possible, if not most likely; that multiple X1 Force bikes will be much more efficient than loading everyone up together in a rover. You can then be scanning muiltiple locations at once. So don't assume the ability to carry an Ursa as a baseline. The Apollo will probably be able to carry several X1s, and if you need cargo capacity on the ground to carry loot, you can move your ship. Also note the X1 Force will go places the Ursa will not, so you may have enhanced scan, shields, firepower and mobility in places like caves where the Ursa cannot go.

If the choice is between walking miles of caves on foot, or riding a grav bike, I'll take the bike.
Oh yeah I 100% plan on having bikes as well. I kind of like the Rangers too and had a similar thought with being able to fit those in an Apollo or hopefully a Pisces for small trips. I just like having the option to have an rover as well. Honestly I just have a big boner for the Corsair and an almost equal crush on the Apollo haha, but yes those are great points. Does the X1 have capabilities that the rangers do not besides hovering?

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Does the X1 have capabilities that the rangers do not besides hovering?
Yes. The Rangers are superior in that they are shorter than the X1 Force, so may fit in ships like the Hoplite better. Rangers do not however carry shield generators, which have proven to be especially effective against FPS fire. Also, grav bikes ride over boulders and such (see the various Nox vids) with ease, in places Rangers can't go. Both have vehicle radar, but the Force is gonna be faster and safer by far. Finally, the Force has a fuel intake, so one presumes they can manage without refueling for extended periods, where the bikes cannot.

Additionally, the Force is meant for infiltration, so we have cause to wonder if it won't offer some stealth capability not found in the other grav bikes and cycles.

Last edited:

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yes. The Rangers are superior in that they are shorter than the X1 Force, so may fit in ships like the Hoplite better. Rangers do not however carry shield generators, which have proven to be especially effective against FPS fire. Also, grav bikes ride over boulders and such (see the various Nox vids) with ease, in places Rangers can't go. Both have vehicle radar, but the Force is gonna be faster and safer by far. Finally, the Force has a fuel intake, so one presumes they can manage without refueling for extended periods, where the bikes cannot.

Additionally, the Force is meant for infiltration, so we have cause to wonder if it won't offer some stealth capability not found in the other grav bikes and cycles.

As great as the X1 is I find myself not carrying and knowing that the Carrack will be carrying several Rangers along with the rover for planet cruising. Then again I might also carry a Nox as the sound of that bike is sweetness.

Reactions: Vashpede

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Planetary exploration on foot or by URSA is probably what I will be doing the most (obviously subject to change once we have more information on the PU) if we come across some things from scanning I would like to investigate. So that is where my thought for the Apollo came in, especially if in a system that is not civilized with stations that would have med-bays, but it was just a thought that I wanted to expand my knowledge on as well as gather some other perspectives and opinions.

You also hit the nail on the head as far as what I had in mind for salvaging while exploring, finding some ghost ships to EVA into or even a crashed ship on foot to explore with guns up flashlight out and salvage some parts. I really just want to see what the universe has to offer and have some adventures while not staying in one spot for too long, as well as having a useful alternative (medic) when the Org calls for some backup or a big war is about to break out with another Org. So I had the thought of bringing the Apollo on our exploration journey so i didn't end up 2 systems back because of a hostile alien while checking out an abandoned outpost or something. I figured it would probably be a lot of upkeep for 2 people but I figured I would see what others thought as I have done some pretty deep research into SC but I am by no means an expert and I have gotten a lot of useful information from you guys, so the alternative perspectives and information confirmations are very much appreciated! Thank you!
All part of the risk/reward and pure speculation on our part. We honestly do not know how salvage or even how they are planning on placing the salvage maps out in the verse. It might be the only salvage worth looking for is in locations outside the reach of the Apollo without the aid of a StarFarer. That the only POI ruins are well beyond the reach of the last space station. Hopefully, by the end of this year, we will get to see how the Pyro system is laid out as the Stanton system is way to populated to make anything inaccessible by even short-range fighters.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
The Rangers are superior in that they are shorter than the X1 Force, so may fit in ships like the Hoplite better.
Also, grav bikes ride over boulders and such (see the various Nox vids) with ease, in places Rangers can't go.
Dont forget they have said certain environments will be better suited to a land vehicle as the wind or other factors will make grav bikes behave wierdly.

Shouldn't be a problem taking one of each though. In the PU right now a Cyclone is 28k aUEC, doubt those bikes would be much.

Vashpede

Captain
Donor
Dec 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Vashpede
Dont forget they have said certain environments will be better suited to a land vehicle as the wind or other factors will make grav bikes behave wierdly.

Shouldn't be a problem taking one of each though. In the PU right now a Cyclone is 28k aUEC, doubt those bikes would be much.
That is true, they are small so could fit a few of each. It sounds like there will be no fly zones too where grav bikes can not be used so having both options would be nice and yeah they should be fairly cheap relative to other vehicles. The grav bikes are awesome and the X1 looks sick but for some reason I love the Rangers and the feel of a ground bike.

Not that I would get one but I wonder if they will ever come out with some type of multi-person hover vehicle like a grav-cyclone or something. Would be interesting to see especially if you need to get cargo or a group of people over some water or rough terrain.

Forgot your password?