Let's talk about Time and other Stuff, that may work different in space.

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
Okay, first hello, this is my first Day in Test, my first Post in this Forum and my first time RP-ing in a space enviroment.
But there are some questions in my mind, which would love to be answered...

Time, let's talk about it.
When we talk about time on earth, we use words as Morning; evening; afternoon...
well in general we describe, our position on the planet refering to the sun.
But when we're in space, can we still call a specific time morning?
And if yes, how?
Do you refer to your hometown, or to the capital City of the closest Planet, and what if this planet has multiple suns?
like: "well in my hometown the sun would rise right now...."
As a spaceman calling a specific time Morning seems wired to me. Esp, if you don't live on a planet or on a planet without a stable rotation (like mars for example)
Imagine you live on a spaceship and you try to meet an other crew member in the morning, how would both of you know which morning the other is refering to? and why would you refer to a morning in the first way?

I like the aproach from startrek, where they refer to a thing called "Sternzeit"(sry...german guy here... but i think in english it's "star-time")
What do you think on this topic?

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
Time will based on UEE Earth time as that is where the Government is located. At least initially.

Welcome to TEST SQUADRON.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
Well...I am currently living on TBT...TESTir Borrowed Time. That's where a person in America goes to bed at 8PM so I stay up a few hours to compensate, then a TESTie in Hawaii goes to bed at 8pm so I stay up a bit later to talk to the Asian TESTies and the Australianz and then HOLY CRAP it's 6am!

Varku

Space Marshal
Apr 21, 2016
RSI Handle
Varku
good effort, but when did he repaired the Camo-thing of the Tardis? seems like it's working again, if i wouldn't know better i would assume this was a Aurora... And why is there a bad Wolf in the background?

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Xian-Luc Picard

Space Marshal
Jan 9, 2016
RSI Handle
Xian-Luc_Picard
Star Trek has Stardates (in English). In the United Federation of Planets, all UFP ships have a standard date and time no matter where they are located.I would imagine it would be like flying internationally,. where you would have an "in space" time and then the time would be whatever the time was when you landed on a planet resulting in some jet lag. You would then have a (complex) system similar to how we have time zones based on what system and planet you are on. Everything dealt with intergalactically would reference the "Stardate" or "in space" time similar to how we reference Greenwich Mean Time here on Earth.

As far as work on a ship, it would probably work the same way as military submarines where there is a 12 hours on 12 hours off cycle for crew where half of them work at "night" and the other half work in the "day" but time has no real meaning... it is just a cycle.

Either way, humans require a proper day/night cycle or bad things happen so it would have to be synchronized somehow.

Snakey

Grand Admiral
Donor
Jul 15, 2015
RSI Handle
SNKYGMG
good effort, but when did he repaired the Camo-thing of the Tardis? seems like it's working again, if i wouldn't know better i would assume this was a Aurora... And why is there a bad Wolf in the background?
Bad budget?

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
Well you've got to have a morning. Otherwise, the song doesn't make a lot of sense.

Forgot your password?