*LONG POST* MY views on the faction.

ROBINSON

Grand Admiral
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
R0BINS0N
Views of a drunk Scot. (I did have a cool name called ‘A Systematic Flow’)

By ROBINSON

The perils of faction membership

I am making this the first point as really its the main issue facing us as a group, at the moment we are ‘part’ of ReddFaction and depending on how we negotiate our official involvement i will assume we are following their constitution, found here.

The groups within Reddfaction;

OrangeRed - citizens who abide by UEE and the Law

Periwinkle - citizens who believe they can step outside of the law

Gold - Commerce

The first part that jumps out at me is the faction is covering basically all aspects of the game, which in its own way is very admiral however, I feel this in the long run will be a weakness due to mainly the mindset of OrangeRed & Periwinkle. On one hand we have OrangeRed, now this may be my failing here but I believe these will simply be the guys will will not cause direction action against anyone unless taunted or following orders based from a political/diplomatic decision. Then we have Periwinkle who will be member Orgs that to put it bluntly will conduct pirate operations, from my experience such a setup normally means a large proportion of their members will be quick to attack someone for fun and/or profit.

My fear with these play styles is that they will most likely counter each other and will cause issues Militarily, Politically and Diplomatically. The third group within ReddFaction - Gold, may suffer even further. Imagine you are are a gold corp and you must conduct operations in areas where Periwinkle Orgs are, as a known member of the same faction it brings a much higher risk of you being attacked.

I can not foresee any setup which could limit any aggression against Gold caused by pirate activities, yes sure we can go as far as assigning protection but such an operation running all the time is too heavy on the logistical side.

Reddfaction Constitution

I will again link the current Reddfaction Constitution.

When I read over the given Constitution the aspect which worries me is too much politics, too much centralization. We can see the committees state there will be 1 representative from each organization and they will then in-turn but filter by their branch (RedOrange, Periwinkle & Gold) on top of this there will be a nominate military adviser (this is not clear if its from the selected rep’s or can be anyone from the member Orgs of that branch)

From each committee there will be 1 representative selected to sit on the Supreme Council, another person will be chosen by the military advisers and the 5th Member will be the highest ranking public official from the Dept. of the Interior.

Department of the Interior

This department seems to be separate and anyone can join, in doing so you will not be able to be involved in any of the committees however as already stated one person from the DotI will sit on the Supreme Council. The DotI is essentially a Diplomatic wing of Reddfaction but seems to have some remit to delve into counter-intelligence.

Issues/Conclusions

Now the first issue I would like to point out is the shear number of members that could be in the branch committees, I find it perfectly reasonable for there to be somewhere any org in the faction gets to voice its concerns. The problem I have with such a system, is you could have one faction that makes up 30% of the faction and that Org’s member is not chosen for the Supreme Council, perhaps the Supreme council is only chaired by members of the smallest orgs in the faction, this could bring many issues.

I am not trying to be egotistical here but merely practically, there should be a better say for those who commit more to the faction. Those Orgs may be large just because of cunning advertising ;) but when it comes down to the fight those who are bigger and more organized have got their due to their leadership and therefore that should count more to a larger voice within the faction.

Dealing with such an issue is no simple feat, what options is there? Well first issue is veto power, if we reference the UN Security Council then the 5 permanent members (China, France, Russian Federation, United Kingdom and the United States) have veto power. Something like this would be the main org’s who guarantee higher accountability as well as productivity for the faction would be main selection criteria.

This would mean there's one group/committee which all issues are dealt with and voted on but those from the ‘chosen’ Organizations would have a veto vote, such a vote would be looked down upon but this is merely an option for those who feel they contribute more to get more of a say (well in this case the ability to sway decision). The department of the Interior would be removed as I do not see how this is needed and how issues can be resolved between the chosen faction diplomats

Now the veto option is as diplomatic as I am going to get, my own preference is the leaders of the Faction should be the leaders from the Main Orgs. Reasoning for this is simple, if an Organization is consider ‘large’ and their own operations bring them success then their leadership is already proven. Now you may have noticed that what I am proposing is that those in charge of the faction are only from those factions involved, I do not believe in allowing anyone only be involved in the faction and not part of an Organization as well.

The overall leadership of the faction is probably still only No2 on my list of issues, my main concern is still the fact we will have pirates and law-abiding Orgs with Commerce Orgs stuck in the middle, are we going to push out into the SC Universe, claim our area of space and work side by side? Shall we have one side blowing the crap out of everything it sees while the other lets you pass by. When we talk about Periwinkle who follow the “principles of liberty and ingenuity. Members of Periwinkle may find their paths taking them outside of UEE control and thrive in the abundance of personal freedom.” we are essentially trying to play two games at work.

This wont work. Pick one or the other.

Regards to rules for the Organizations in the faction we do not need a multiple page rule set before the game is out. Keep it simple, as in;

1. Don’t shoot a Reddfaction member unless provoked and can be proven.

2. Any claims of assets or space must be notified to the faction (keeping track of logistics is only to assure we don't have in-fighting)

3. Disputes dealt with in a case by case manner (report up the chain, you to your leader and them onto the faction)

4. Have a beer

5. DBAD applies at all times (Don’t be a dick)

Now I will be amazed if we couldn't start out operations when the game fully launches by following those simple rules then when we come across issues were we go ‘geeez, we really should have a rule for that’, take it to the powers at be and maybe it will become a rule.

Regards

ROBINSON

ROBINSON

Grand Admiral
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
R0BINS0N
excuse the typos and grammar, wrote it fast on my lunch as I was annoyed when I read the Reddfaction Constitution and probably have ranted a bit ;)

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
I know NKato has been working on a revamp a little time ago that he shared with me. It still has some ways of conduct, but they seem a lot more natural, and encourages co-operation, while still allowing the orgs within the alliance to have full freedom.

ROBINSON

Grand Admiral
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
R0BINS0N
Yes I have read it, but its still too much for a game we don't know yet - too much assuming and bureaucracy before we have got going!

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
I agree that there are some problems that might arise, but I don't really see the point in stirring the pot before it's necessary. But I suppose if we need to spearhead changing it, we may as well do it before it becomes an actual problem.

Reactions: TestBot

Shive

Speed Devil
Staff member
Officer
Mar 9, 2014
RSI Handle
GOD_Shive
I agree that there are some problems that might arise, but I don't really see the point in stirring the pot before it's necessary. But I suppose if we need to spearhead changing it, we may as well do it before it becomes an actual problem.
Amen

TestBot

Ghost
Nov 2, 2013
RSI Handle
TestBot
I, too, dislike the bureaucratic nature of Reddfaction and have been pretty open about it whenever the topic rose. However the general consensus that has resulted from the many times I have disagreed with their style or anything about them really, it has come to, as AntiSqueaker puts it "to not stir the pot before it's necessary" which makes sense.

Based on my understanding after many talks with Montoya and Seung, TEST and any other perwinkle org will only abide to the most general rules of their constitution because technically, we are the "free" orgs not under any strict ruler ship.

However none of these discussions will actually bare fruit until we have a game with clearly outlined micro, macro, and meta mechanics.

I should also say that I like the "we may as well do it before it becomes an actual problem" approach but it should be said that at this point, while I do dislike the style, Redd's bureaucracy has not been a problem. They have not been totalitarian in their approach of "enforcing" it if you could even call it that. All we have right now is an outline and some theory crafting.

ROBINSON

Grand Admiral
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
R0BINS0N
But all this planning is assumption, this is the basic point I am making.

We should follow the rules of KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid! ;)

starkestrel

Space Marshal
Nov 3, 2013
RSI Handle
starkestrel
But all this planning is assumption, this is the basic point I am making.

We should follow the rules of KISS! Keep It Simple Stupid! ;)
We do keep it simple. The Reddfaction Constitution is not our constitution. It's the constitution of the alliance org of all reddit-based organizations that choose to be a member.

We are the largest member org of that alliance organization, and our organization leader has been a member of both the Reddfaction Supreme Council and a leader representative of the Periwinkle branch since the constitution was ratified. There's really very little to fear about the situation.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
We do keep it simple. The Reddfaction Constitution is not our constitution. It's the constitution of the alliance org of all reddit-based organizations that choose to be a member.

We are the largest member org of that alliance organization, and our organization leader has been a member of both the Reddfaction Supreme Council and a leader representative of the Periwinkle branch since the constitution was ratified. There's really very little to fear about the situation.
is this sarcasm ?

ROBINSON

Grand Admiral
May 8, 2014
RSI Handle
R0BINS0N
I am more confused about if its sarcasm or just straight contradiction.

As its been pointed out, we are special and nothing to fear. Therefore all good.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
*shuffles into the thread, dragging a blanket behind him*

What's all this hub-hub so early in the morning? *Yawn*

Oh, the ReddFaction Constitution? Yeah eff that piece of toilet paper.

*shuffles to the kitchen to make himself some breakfast*

BluChew

Captain
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
OGKush
I think we already upset quite a few people with our pro crashing mentality.(There are a few forum threads about how crashers should be punished)
Bunch of crashing heathens they are... damn TEST members.

Last edited:

Thrashdog

Captain
Nov 26, 2013
RSI Handle
Thrashdog
Put bluntly, it's wildly premature to wring our hands about the way that ReddFaction is organized. We don't yet have a game to play, and until then the only thing to keep the bureaucratically-minded sorts who like to put these things together occupied is to build cloud castles like the RF org chart and constitution. Once we're actually playing space shooty-shooty, I fully expect for RF to either adapt rapidly or to break up and re-form in a more flexible, streamlined version. Just let the organizational wonks have their fun until then.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?