Looking for recommendations for a new tablet

Intervention

Lieutenant
Jun 30, 2015
RSI Handle
Intervention
So I'm shopping for a new tablet. Something that can play mobile games and has a screen that doesn't suxxors. I was going to purchase a Kindle Fire since my wife has one, but then I heard an evil rumor they do not worship the one true God, almighty Google. Since I can't access google play, this was not the classy solution I was looking for. I'm pretty attached to the Google ecosystem as well, so no Apples for me.

Right now the Samsung S 8.4 inch seems to be my go to, but I thought I'd get some other opinions first. I shall pull the trigger tomorrow during Prime day.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
I strongly believe that iPad mini 2 is an awesome bang for the buck. iOS is still a leading platform for indie and big mobile developers (heartstone, walking dead, CR racing and fallout came out many month before the android version) and you can get it in sub 300 range.

If you are anti mainstream, don't have to worry about that too, as Apple tablets are their best products that somehow sell poorly (compared to iphone and mac), so you are covered there.

This comes from someone who had 2 generations nexus 7, first smartphone ran android 2.1 and is typing this message on 1+1

Reactions: UnderSc0re

ThomSirveaux

Space Marshal
Sep 12, 2014
RSI Handle
Thom_Sirveaux
I strongly believe that iPad mini 2 is an awesome bang for the buck. iOS is still a leading platform for indie and big mobile developers (heartstone, walking dead, CR racing and fallout came out many month before the android version) and you can get it in sub 300 range.

If you are anti mainstream, don't have to worry about that too, as Apple tablets are their best products that somehow sell poorly (compared to iphone and mac), so you are covered there.

This comes from someone who had 2 generations nexus 7, first smartphone ran android 2.1 and is typing this message on 1+1
Don't get the iPad Mini (gen 1). My wife mistakenly got it for me and it is seriously lagging as far as performance. Gonna try to take it back and get the Mini 2.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
Don't get the iPad Mini (gen 1). My wife mistakenly got it for me and it is seriously lagging as far as performance. Gonna try to take it back and get the Mini 2.
Yeah, Mini1 is absolutely horrible, iOS 5 broke it bad. There are memory leak problems, battery problems, poor performance and shameless low resolution. A lot of hardware problems there.
Mini3 is basically mini 2 with a slightly better screen and a touch sensor.
But if you want to go all fancy with a budget, its definitively Air 2. Android tablets are just not on the same level, even in 2015, unlike the smartphones

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
But if you are religious and android is truly the One True God who you worship, yeah, Galaxy tab S 8.4 or 10.5 is basically the king of the hill (but i really mean it, Mini 2 is a much better product)

Intervention

Lieutenant
Jun 30, 2015
RSI Handle
Intervention
So I have to many apple fanboi friends as well.. I decided to drink your koolaid good Sir.

During Capitalist Prime Day, I found a brand new Mini 2 for $220 from Wal Mart. I shall sully my hands and pick it up from the store this afternoon.

CaptainRichard

Stream Meister
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Sep 29, 2014
RSI Handle
CaptainRichard
I was going to suggest the Surface 3, but I think they clock in at $500. I don't own one, but I've used them and they are nice.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
I was going to suggest the Surface 3, but I think they clock in at $500. I don't own one, but I've used them and they are nice.
My friend keeps saying he's going to replace his gaming PC with a Surface and each time says he's going wait and see what the next version will offer. I think it's a pretty slick solution if you have a dock and no need for a gaming PC.

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
My brother has the surface 3 and I can honestly say I like it a lot. It's definitely worth a look, even if it's out of range for the moment.

My friend keeps saying he's going to replace his gaming PC with a Surface and each time says he's going wait and see what the next version will offer. I think it's a pretty slick solution if you have a dock and no need for a gaming PC.
I honestly think that's a bad idea. With the $800 pro you might be able to use it for gaming, but that won't last terribly long.

UnderSc0re

Space Marshal
Mar 17, 2015
RSI Handle
UnderSc0re
My brother has the surface 3 and I can honestly say I like it a lot. It's definitely worth a look, even if it's out of range for the moment.

I honestly think that's a bad idea. With the $800 pro you might be able to use it for gaming, but that won't last terribly long.
Yeah he's been looking into the Pros more. He doesn't give a crap about gaming anymore and just wants a tablet that can be used as a computer when he needs it. Plus he's kind of simplified his life and wants less clutter.

AntiSqueaker

Space Marshal
Apr 23, 2014
RSI Handle
Anti-Squeaker
Honestly I have a Kindle Fire (the original 2011) and it's pretty great. I mainly use it for movies and books, but it does everything I need it to.

Largely replaced by the Kindle app on my S5, but it's still a pretty solid tablet at the price point. The lack of the Google Play store, and all the apps that come with that, is saddening, but the Amazon app marketplace is fairly robust in its own right.

For just over 150 bones, it's not bad.

On a side note, the Fire HD Kid's edition is fantastic! My brother got one for his kid, and he swears by it. Built in controls let you set/disable timers for the internet, certain applications (like blocking all apps past 9pm, or movies past 7 but still lets you read books).

Hydro_Axis

Space Marshal
Mar 3, 2015
RSI Handle
RedBeerdz
just bought my girl a 16gb Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0. She loves it, and I got a killer deal on EBAY for 170.00. It also has a infared remote eye built in so you can control your tv and Cable box w/ it too using an app.

CGPepper

Comrade
Nov 13, 2014
RSI Handle
CGP
So I have to many apple fanboi friends as well.. I decided to drink your koolaid good Sir.

During Capitalist Prime Day, I found a brand new Mini 2 for $220 from Wal Mart. I shall sully my hands and pick it up from the store this afternoon.
That sneaky Capitalist pig got you too huh. Let us know what you got.
I've almost bought mini 2 about 7 different times. But then i keep telling myself: calm down, you need that money to pay the rent, electricity bill, hookers and blow

Forgot your password?