Mechwarrior 5: Mercs

Den Kartho

Space Marshal
Dec 24, 2016
RSI Handle
Den_Kartho
It really takes me back to 2002.. and not in many good ways.
The gameplay is pretty fun, but repetitive, but the graphics are not very modern, especially the lighting, you have to use a bloody .ini file to configure any sticks, and 'failed to connect' is more common than it should be for any game that brags on it's 'co-op' campaign, which isn't really anything more than letting a couple people take the place of mechs and pilots you have in your campaign, they get no progression, no access to mech bays, they're just your pilots for the mission.

Xious

Admiral
Dec 4, 2018
RSI Handle
Xious11
It really takes me back to 2002.. and not in many good ways.
The gameplay is pretty fun, but repetitive, but the graphics are not very modern, especially the lighting, you have to use a bloody .ini file to configure any sticks, and 'failed to connect' is more common than it should be for any game that brags on it's 'co-op' campaign, which isn't really anything more than letting a couple people take the place of mechs and pilots you have in your campaign, they get no progression, no access to mech bays, they're just your pilots for the mission.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking... 2002 Mechwarrior was great but... it's 2019 now.

Do you know how to bypass the cut scenes? I haven't figured it out yet.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
Overall I was disappointed, I got it mainly for the co-op only to find out the other players have to use one of your mechs and cant really do anything independently it only serves the main players story line, money and salvage. Another MechWarrior let down as usual, the gameplay is there and I could live with the graphics if the co-op had been done right but everything else is lacking.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
I bought this game yesterday and have been pretty disappointed. Among other issues, the graphics are shockingly bad for 2019. It really just feels like a beta release at best.

This review captures my thoughts exactly...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlUFOeZ2Uu8
I was looking forward to this game sooooo much! I'm really disappointed that it turned out to be crappy.
Will get it if it pops up for cheap in some winter sale just to try the gameplay. Last year I played mech4:mercs and I didn't mind the graphics cos the game was fun lol

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I picked it up since it seems like there was some decent reviews, and never really had anything against MWO as it was made by the same people, but overall even as a Battletech fan this did leave a lot to be desired and feels very much like a sit and hop in for a bit kind of game versus one I plan on putting a lot of time into. I am not putting much hope into the future of it, but revisiting the clans lore and making some campaigns from it would be a good addition.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
I downloaded it form "other surcers" for try it out and I'm preatty disappointed too.
Graphic is definitly not up time in most case: most of the texture looks like they are been take form an early 2000 game, they are compleatly flat, and llight and shadows are bad when they are present.
But is not only that, the character you end up speaking to are totaly bad, without expression, and with a texture that remember me of TES III Morrowind (2002), and are simple menequin, with totaly no movement or interaction, they can't even torun around to face you while speaking.

Misssion side they are boring, AI is a crap it just trow a you enemy, without tactics or an engament profile: my god, MW4 back then have a far better AI.
Mech cockpit are terrible: no radar, basically no HUD... geez, this guy have already done Machwarrior Online that have a far better immersion, could just have copy&paste those one, like they have done with the Mech models (texture excluded it seams...).

Mech customization iis terrible: they have done this two version of the mechlab interface similar of that one of MW 4, I don't like it but I can understand the reason, Make it simple form newbie... but then what the hell at leas put the heat sink count and the ammo in there, other wise is just a trash!
Like the harpoint thing for missile, balistck and energy weapon (even if the purist form Battletech don't), but why di they add the hardpoint size in there too?? Midium size laser hardpoint, small size missile hardpoint... good, the slot in the mach already do that thing without introduce another value to consider that has the only purpoose of makea a configuration of a mach basically untouchable...
I'm not even speaking of this TIER ting they have introduce... that work well in Battletech becouse you stat find them in later game, here instead...

And speaking of the Battletech game (the turn base strategic from HBS...), here oolso have the mercenary company to manage, but geex if that is bad...
Stating with the contract you can't understand how much they will going to pay you, you have this comunication pannel where contract contact are listed and then actual contract list... with income spread all over 4 (four) recap pannel... $hit I'll like to play a game not atttend a ccourse in financial management!
Getting a new mech form the salvaga is basically impossibile: you need to have a higter reputation with you client AND a hight enough mercenary reating AND spend most of your nogotioation point on salvage to allow to do that... and this mean less income...

I could go on for anoter page of post but the final conclusion is: stay away form this crap, this is an un-finish, un-polish game thing!
If you want a good mercenary management game go for Battletech by the HBS, they neiled it in my opinion they recently open up to mod, so it will be all better from now on.
If you want a first person Mech combat game go for Machwarrion online (free to play by the way...), that have a good PvP experience, a better mach management and a far better graphics... while is done by the same company.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Overall I was disappointed, I got it mainly for the co-op only to find out the other players have to use one of your mechs and cant really do anything independently it only serves the main players story line, money and salvage. Another MechWarrior let down as usual, the gameplay is there and I could live with the graphics if the co-op had been done right but everything else is lacking.
Sorry man how could you tell that the gameplay is there?
AI is not existing, MW4 was better, lance control is basic at most, they also lack the "eject command" (that was present in MW4), there isn't a proper radar, missiles work a shit, since they do not even try to to hit the target, they just go in that direction (try the MWO and you'll know what i'm talking about...)
Managging contract is a mess, mech rapair is crap since while in a combat zone it cost you more both in credit (wich I understand) and time (wich I don't...), but out side of this zone, that are , by the way the only one where you have a ny contract, or you are in one of the "Industrial hub" or you can't do any repair at all si "this system doesn't have the resurce for allow you to do repair".

Oh and by the way, the game has the whole BT map... yes THE map of the entire InnerSphere, but conflict zone are just a small portion of the Davion territory... really?? WHY????
If the objective was to limit the mobility of the player for the beginning of the campain HBS with Battletech has done a better job (no spoiler...), this is just a stupid solution and feel like an(other) incomplete part of this suppoesed "game"...

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
I play MWO and your comparing AI to real people, AI in most games is shit it always has been, name one game out there where the AI is tactically better than human? Not a single game, yea sure there are games where the AI is tougher because their bullet sponges or do more damage but there isn't a single game I can think of where the AI has been successful.

The gameplay is there, some of your points are valid and some are not I have no issues with the interface in the mech bay, ya it took a few hours to get used to but now for me at least it all makes sense and works fine. The actual mech movement and weapons work the same as MWO.

Like I said outside of the actual gameplay this game leaves a lot to be desired for sure mech diehard fans will say this is the best MechWarrior game in 10 years because well it is simply because there hasn't been any but that doesn't mean its good. IGN gave it an 8 out of 10 again simply because its the only game out there with a mech story mode.

Bottom line is this game isn't worth 49$ or 59$ which ever you paid it wasn't worth it, maybe 29$ addon at most imo, again another game company ripping its fan base off with a promised title that fails to deliver at most I would have given this game a 5 out of 10 and that is simple because there is really no other single player story driven mech games out there so no real competition.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
I call super crap on this game, the control remap system is absolutely terrible, you should not be expecting your player base to have to get into various .ini files decode their system in an to attempt to setup their hardware. Every single other game in recent memory (SC included) just lets you do that from the UI. But not this poorly implemented piece of garbage. I don't want to have to be scraping out my PIDs and VIDs from device manager then hand crafting every bloody single input.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Jesus those graphics are shit.... mechwarrior was always one of my favorite games since Mechwarrior 2 mercenaries. You could do what the story tells you to do or go off and kill all the enimies even if it was "Impossible". nothing will be better than MW2. I moved on after MW3 to Armoed core and played that until AC5..... AC5 went south from there also.

Forgot your password?