My Google Stadia Thoughts

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
So I purchased the Google Stadia the week it was announced because it was something different for the streaming media world, after a few days with it this week I decided to share my thoughts and try my best to give a good review of it that hopefully puts those on the fence to either get it or move on without any sort of regret.

TLDR before I rant, if you already have a sizable library on either PC or console, then this brings no benefit to you as all games need to be purchased on Stadia as well. And with the required amount of data to stream, a solid connection and high data cap is needed, 4.5GB/hr is the lowest setting ti seems to have.

And now we begin!

SETUP - 7/10

I give the setup this score for a couple of reasons, I ran into some issues trying to get the accounts to link when using the Chromecast on my TV and a simple restart of the Chromecast did alleviate the issue. When it came to using Stadia through a web browser or on my Pixel 2XL, everything was a breeze as the controller required a hard wire setup on the phone and computer. Overall, it was fairly straightforward and the directions on phone and screen were simple to understand.

CONTENT - 4/10

This is where Stadia falters in its current state, all games in the library (besides Destiny 2 and Samurai Shodown for Pro) will require you to purchase them to be able to stream them through Stadia, although the Pro subscription gives you a pretty good discount for most games on it. As such there are no free games to stream on it and as mentioned before, if you own most recently released games on PC or console, then there is nothing to gain here.

PLAY TIME! - 8/10

*YMMV*

This score was given solely based on my experience playing over the course of a few days through a Pixel 2XL, Chrome web browser, and through a Chromecast all with the Stadia controller. When using it on the phone or browser, a hard wired connection is needed currently as wireless is not yet implemented. For using the Chromecast the controller uses WiFi and can be used as expected, but at times this way there was so very slight lag noticed while playing Destiny 2 when firing weapons where visuals and audio were not perfectly lined up. Outside of this there seemed to be no other noticeable issues with latency or input lag that I was aware of.

PRICE - 6/10

Given that you need to purchase Stadia to use the service at $129 USD (it comes with a Chromecast Ultra valued at $69 USD) and then follow that up with purchasing the games on the library, it can become an expensive investment, especially with the high data usage that can potentially accompany it so be careful of your ISP data caps and throttling.

OVERALL

5/10 - do not get (yet)

In its current state, Stadia leaves a lot to be desired and at this time I would not recommend it to anyone until the library grows and having a subscription is beneficial (more free games will come later as a Pro user) but at least games purchased are still playable without a Pro subscription if you cancel.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I don't quite understand your overall score, is it different from the average of the others? Put another way, why 5/10? Is Overall measuring other factors? The average of the other scores is 6.25, which is yanno... not great but not terrible.
Reason I'm asking: Two of my kids have been asking me what I think about it, one of them about specifics.

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
I don't quite understand your overall score, is it different from the average of the others? Put another way, why 5/10? Is Overall measuring other factors? The average of the other scores is 6.25, which is yanno... not great but not terrible.
Reason I'm asking: Two of my kids have been asking me what I think about it, one of them about specifics.
The 5/10 takes into account just a general feel of the idea with everything put together as well. It leaves me not satisfied personally from the lack of content of the library and how there is no small games to play like one would expect. You either having what they give you as a sub or nothing currently. So the score could theoretically be higher if I could use it without a subscription currently.

Feel free to post some questions, I will do my best to answer them as I get more of a feel for this thing.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
So your lowest score was for the content which makes sense.

But lets assume that the younger generation coming in gets into the Stadia ecosystem the same way we got into Steam.

Pretty soon everything they own will be on that platform, in the cloud.

The only remaining issue is basically the latency and bandwidth requirements, right?

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
So your lowest score was for the content which makes sense.

But lets assume that the younger generation coming in gets into the Stadia ecosystem the same way we got into Steam.

Pretty soon everything they own will be on that platform, in the cloud.

The only remaining issue is basically the latency and bandwidth requirements, right?
That would be highly correct, if I stream using my phone plan, the data cap is hit in 10 hours as Stadia eats 4.5GB/hr according to its settings. Given that most ISPs have 1 TB caps that is gone in around 24 hours, and this is on low settings by the way, on higher settings the cap is gone much much sooner.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
That would be highly correct, if I stream using my phone plan, the data cap is hit in 10 hours as Stadia eats 4.5GB/hr according to its settings. Given that most ISPs have 1 TB caps that is gone in around 24 hours, and this is on low settings by the way, on higher settings the cap is gone much much sooner.
I think this is going to stop one of the kids... the other is a bit dense when he wants to be, like when he hears something he doesn't like. But it's his bill. Good info btw.

Reactions: Bambooza

stockish

Space Marshal
Nov 24, 2018
RSI Handle
Stockish
So I went back in to the app to double check just so I would be accurate regarding data usage.

Screenshot_20191121-105822_Stadia.jpg

Forgot your password?