Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
If someone wouldn't mind, I would dearly like to know if your ship, any ship, will hover properly inverted.

For ages I've had a hankerin' to fly the Vanguards inverted on terrestrial strike missions so the turrets are facing downward. For drops obviously you need the Hoplites right side up, but you may like to safeguard that precious human cargo with Harbingers and I'd really like to know if they or any other ships can hover inverted. Can be useful for any ship with a top turret.

Hybus

Space Marshal
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Hybus
Hover mode is slowly getting better, but I still think it's a feature that was unnecessary. Just make it so ships with vtol thrusters have much better fuel efficiency in atmosphere. Yes, I believe many ships should handle better in an atmosphere than say, a brick shaped cutlass, but this was excessive. Was a bloody nightmare trying to land said cutlass on a planet, if you overshot, you basically had to go 3rd person and strafe sideways over the landing pad. God help you if you had to park in one of those narrow, fly in hangers in area 18.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

MurderingPsycho

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 10, 2018
RSI Handle
Zombie_Bait
Hover mode is slowly getting better, but I still think it's a feature that was unnecessary. Just make it so ships with vtol thrusters have much better fuel efficiency in atmosphere. Yes, I believe many ships should handle better in an atmosphere than say, a brick shaped cutlass, but this was excessive. Was a bloody nightmare trying to land said cutlass on a planet, if you overshot, you basically had to go 3rd person and strafe sideways over the landing pad. God help you if you had to park in one of those narrow, fly in hangers in area 18.
The cutlass is just broken (supposedly), it should be able to hover well with the engines pointed down. I still think they could make this a toggle and just push people to use it by making engines overheat or behave unreliably when hover is not active. Basically, make hover mode behave the way ships used when stopped and make stopping without hover behave the way hover does now. They could push it by just claiming that the ships software is able to react and adjust faster than you.

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
It makes the most sense when you think that with ground warfare coming up, having the old "anti-grav, floaty" ships that could just stay stationary had a huge advantage over ground assets, as the ships could just stay motionless and take their time picking off ground targets. Now, hovering is going to take some skill, and ground troops and vehicles have a fighting chance against ships.

This is the latest video I found helpful:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7qy8gcYhXM&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Now, hovering is going to take some skill, and ground troops and vehicles have a fighting chance against ships.
I think too, that the animations of SC ships taking off and landing have always sucked. They don't look like theyt're flying at all. Now you have to actually pilot a ship to pilot a ship, and that is what SC is supposed to be all about.

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
Some ships like the starliner (does this ship even exist) have big through the wing turbines which should mean they could hover inverted! Okay nevermind why even pretend realism.
consider this that the blades of the turbines are fixed. and to revise thrust the opposite way would require that they slow down stop then reverse direction. at high enough altitude this might be possible how ever it would be unlikely that they are designed that way.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
My only complaint is launching forward when bringing a ship into a horizontal hangar, space break should also level the ship out in place vs causing you to hit a wall. Lastly they really do need to add a mechanism to guide you into the vertical hangar bays. I wasn't a fan of ships pointing the nose down when landing at Lorville or Area 18 but you have to see where you're going. A holographic projection of what's under the ship with a guide of some kind would help. Heck, my BMW has a simulated overhead camera, if I can have this on a vehicle produced in 2014, then it should be an every day feature in the 29th century.

Mining is also a lot more challenging on the surface of moons.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
My only complaint is launching forward when bringing a ship into a horizontal hangar, space break should also level the ship out in place vs causing you to hit a wall. Lastly they really do need to add a mechanism to guide you into the vertical hangar bays. I wasn't a fan of ships pointing the nose down when landing at Lorville or Area 18 but you have to see where you're going. A holographic projection of what's under the ship with a guide of some kind would help. Heck, my BMW has a simulated overhead camera, if I can have this on a vehicle produced in 2014, then it should be an every day feature in the 29th century.

Mining is also a lot more challenging on the surface of moons.
You've apparently hit the same difficulties I have. I mean other than the NPC cop that blew me up for not coming to a full stop... except my engines weren't even on... I turned them off to try to get them to stop firing at my apparently moving stationary ship.

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
well while i'm in atmosphere I love Hover mode. its great i find it just fine. interested of thrusting down i just lower my thruster output instead and let Gravity take over if i need to stop just bring it back up. or get thruster output to just keeping the ship aloft then use the strafing with minute adjustments tiling to only do major maneuvers. I am Extremely happy that they removed/disabled Hover in space. when parking the 600I in a vertical bay at a station with it on was difficult as gravity was not on the pad out side of the hanger. so when you had to use fw thust to get in it and hover took over it was jarring and often was just plain luck you didn't put the ship on its side or crash.

last night we got in a battle when UEE decided to fag me due to someone on my ship was with a crime stat. we took a lot of dammage and the resulting malfunctions due to it make flight both in and out of atmo verry interesting. attempting to land with only 3 of the 6 vtol thusters was interesting to say the lest as i often had to add tap afterburn just to maintain altitude. take off was also a bit of a chore as i had to realy get gooing in hovermode and tilt forward to gain enough speed to switch to normal flight. i was in the retaliator.

Reactions: Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
. . .thrust the opposite way would require that they slow down stop then reverse direction.
I doubt the mechanism CIG uses posits fixed blades, nor even blades at all. The Prowler doesn't have blades. It has grav plates.

One simple observation would be to see if there is any negative thrust setting for any given ship, but really the only empirical way to know is to try to fly a ship upside down, under the hover mode velocity. If it instantly falls to the ground, then hover does not work inverted.

Given we don't know what equations they used nor the parameters for them, the only way to know is to try--which will likely get you killed. Better now than when beta comes.

Whether any given ship is able to set a negative thrust for hover is TBD. Best case is not all ships are the same. It will be exciting to find out. Certainly, if you have a Cutlass, a Tally, a Gladiator, a SH, a Vanguard, a Hurricane, or any other ship with dorsal turret(s), you need to know whether you can hover inverted.

I highly suggest die trying now, while it doesn't matter.

Forgot your password?