New FPS mechanics should keep CoD kiddies at bay :)

Do you loke what CIG is trying to do (More ARMA like than CoD like experience)?

• Hell yeah !!!

Votes: 16 51.6%
  • Well it is ok, but I have some complaints regarding their overkill realism system.

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • No way man, I preffer fun foremost and realism second when it comes to my FPS Jazz.

Votes: 1 3.2%
  • I am quite indifferent to FPS. I am here because of Ships man. Ships !! It will be OK I guess.

Votes: 6 19.4%

• Total voters

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Now, this is only my personal belief, so i did not make this thread to moralize, discuss or impart my personal tastes onto how people should play their game and what the preffer.
I just want to know your honest opinions.

Immediately when I read it, I was like "shocked" at how incredibly restrictive this is going to be.
But when I gave it some more thought, it dawned on me that we have a perma death in SC also and you will not want to take same approach as in CoD for example. We need systems in place for that, and it is good that it is going to be a little more slower paced.

I am glad this is not going to be another run-of-the-mill shooter with insta respawn and especially that it is not going to cater to all those CoD and BF kiddies out there.

That kind of gaming is a disgrace of todays modern gaming industry for the most part.

I know I know, you are thinking "Aren't you being to harsh? We all love those games (to a point)".
I say no, fuck em.
They had their time, they had their fun.

Hell, even I enjoy me an ocasional CoD, BF etc,.. but I get tired of it easily, especially when I realize how shallow they are.

Here is the original CIG post.

You have the ability to change your vote in this poll.

Tooterfish

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Tooterfish
I listened intently on CR's vision of the FPS pacing in last 10ftc and I think you're going to see a unique middle ground. I don't agree that liking CoD or BF makes you a "kiddie" but I do acknowledge the necessity of catering to the space sim and sim-in-general market by not diluting the FPS module with over-simplified pro-twitch pew pew that you otherwise find in bro-shooters. Still, with that said, look at their success.

SC is a business overall and everybody is going to make compromises in favor of attracting the most potential players to the game. CR has also stated that inevitably you're going to piss people off, but he's fixated on balancing game mechanics to marry what is practical to the game and his vision and fun.

If it were up to me I'd shoot for something like Insurgency with better movement physics.

Snowianth

Grand Admiral
Oct 13, 2014
RSI Handle
Snowianth
If they make it arma/dayz style reallistic it will be hell of a camping and even more when there is chance of perma death.

What comes to CoD/BF game styles, peoples play like they play those games since there is no death penalty. they would not run aimlesly around if they would get 1day ban from dying for example.

Willem Default

Space Marshal
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
WillemDefault
I think you're going to see a unique middle ground.
If it were up to me I'd shoot for something like Insurgency with better movement physics.
I'm with Tooterfish on this. I love ArmA, even though I'm not too great at it, but I think it'd be too much realism for SC. The middle ground option is good with me. I'd like it if CIG combined the influences of the simulation realism of ArmA with the tactical shooter elements of Insurgency and Red Orchestra 2.

WarrenPeace

Space Marshal
Jul 17, 2014
RSI Handle
Shortspark
As long as the visors don't fog up too bad, I'm all for realism!
Depends, do you have the basic visor, or the aftermarket high-end Behring CombatHawk Pro model with infrared, nightvision, AR targeting and interaction modules, and cool new style for 2944?

GrammarGestapo

Pro Chat Necromancer
Jun 8, 2014
RSI Handle
TheGrammarpolice
this isn't ArmA like, I was pretty disappointed. By "Stances" I thought they meant several, variable height positions so that you can fire over, under, and around obstacles like in ArmA. It's a bit complex, but once you get used to it it's really useful, and the terrain can be made more realistic and variable instead of just cookie-cutter height.

It is, however, a very logical system and I like it. There's a difference between firing a weapon shouldered, aiming down the sights, and hipfire and I think it's a good thing that that difference between all three is noted. I hope we don't end up with just the standard standing, crouching, prone. I hope we at least get some good leaning.

But yeah, they should do EVERYTHING to avoid a battlefield or call of duty style, lone-wolf, run and gun playstyle. That's just so bullshit it infuriates me when people play like that. It encourages idiocy, lack of care and general incompetence on a scale you can't even imagine. If the game is more tactical, you're going to have a MUCH higher skill ceiling and gameplay in general will be more rewarding, thoughtful, and less twitch based. There is a place for twitch based games, and I maintain that counterstrike and quake are two of the most skill intensive games on the market at high levels, but something shallow like battlefield or CoD has no place in the BDSSE when the ship-to-ship combat system has so much promise!

honcho12

Space Marshal
Oct 12, 2014
RSI Handle
honcho12
Depends, do you have the basic visor, or the aftermarket high-end Behring CombatHawk Pro model with infrared, nightvision, AR targeting and interaction modules, and cool new style for 2944?
I hope that 929 years in the future they will have figured out a good anti fog spray...

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
If they make it arma/dayz style reallistic it will be hell of a camping and even more when there is chance of perma death.

What comes to CoD/BF game styles, peoples play like they play those games since there is no death penalty. they would not run aimlesly around if they would get 1day ban from dying for example.
If there is no perma death you will have people giving zero fucks about their own life and doing suicide runs or strapping shit to vehicles blowing it up etc. this ruins a good tactical shooter, if their goal is to make a tactical shooter arma 3 is a good starting point, but they should implement shields or up the damage just a little bit so you are not doing in 2 bullets from the chest. The biggest outcome of entertainment for a shooter though is cone of fire for weapons, body camera sway, and how smooth movement feels. If you have unrealisic weapons and hp that can always be offset by how well it plays in the other categories. I'm for one am for the multiple stances like arma and the leans. They're should be no rainbow six cover were you see around the corner. They should however give you the ability to take cover and lean your head out to look from behind cover. That would be a decent cover system, it would initially zoom in on you and as you scooted to a corner you would lean over and the camera would shift. Farther you lean more you see, but the camera movement dictates how well the mechanics feel, the cone of fire will determine how well people play and everyone wants to play well, if you go overboard realisitic it is not fun, even from my personal level. It is a pain in the ass to accurately shoot. I can go for a rpg element here were the untrained soldier progressively gets better the more you play etc.

Reactions: Nutjob
Forgot your password?