No Man's Sky

chimpdaddy

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2015
RSI Handle
Chimpdaddy
I have a really hard time with games that have no "Why"....
I have been watching this one too...I really like it for my 9 year old. It has an element of SPORE to it which my son loves, and the fact that the universe in this game is actually the size of a universe kind of boggles the mind. I think about how the developer said that even if there are a million players in the game at once you still might never see anyone is just plain crazy. Plus Sean Murray (SP?) is kind of endearing in his awkwardness when you see his interviews, he has a vision that he wants to create and can't stand it when people who want that Why ask him what it is. He is like "this game is not for you" and moves on.

vindslav

Vice Admiral
Mar 28, 2015
RSI Handle
vindslav
A few people who could not understand Minecraft are in this thread, ey?

No Man's Sky is based around the concept of 70's/80's Sci Fi, particularly Dune. The main emphasis is just the experience, in the same way as Journey played out. For me, it holds more appeal than Star Citizen, in all honesty. The premise of game universe, so vast that the human mind can not truely comprehend the scale, and the freedom to essentially go any where, with very little limitation on doing so.

The question why? does not really work with this game. Much like in a game like Minecraft, the elements and core of the game, just are. If you are not overly interested in the game, I would still suggest looking into how they are actually making it, not for the sake of converting you, just that the process is rather interesting. The game is almost entirely procedural, and considering that the game has been made of a team of only 10-11 people, the feat is quite impressive.

In the end though, to each their own, and if this is not your cup of tea, then simply go else where for your coffee.

Edit: One last note, technically there is no end to Star Citizen. It has no true objective for you to achieve. In the end the game is simply what you make of it. The same can be considered here, just that unlike Star Citizen, it is kept vague. They do not want you to know how to do everything, or what you can and cannot do. It is apart of the expeience, to figure things out. I suppose it is this that may be the cause of the confusion as to what the game is, or maybe people generally prefer to be told what to do, prior to engaging in such activites. Strange that, considering the popularity of exploration for Star Citizen...

Last edited:

Guss De Blöd

Admiral
Donor
Jul 22, 2015
RSI Handle
gussdeblod
I agree with vindslav, some games aren't about "why?".

I like, like chimpdaddy said, that the universe is HUGE, the only thing I'm scarred of is the procedurally generated land thingy, but it can be awesome.

I also love the fact that there are huge animals, I think a dense fauna really add to a game, and actually I'm quite worried about that in star citizen.

I think I'll buy it.

FireEmblem6

Captain
Feb 27, 2016
RSI Handle
FireEmblem6
Sorry, all of these thoughts over why had me thinking of old Cave Johnson ....

Cave Johnson: Science isn't about *why* - it's about *why not*. *Why* is so much of our science dangerous? Why not *marry* safe science if you love it so much? In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because *you are fired!* Not you, test subject. You're doing fine.
[to someone else]
Cave Johnson: Yes, *you*. Box. Your stuff. Out the front door. Parking lot. Car. Goodbye.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
I for one am looking forward to NMS. It'll be fun to hold me over until SC is live. I'm a purpose driven player as well. I need to have something to work towards. That's why Elite lost my interest.

The purpose on NMS is to get to the center of the universe. That is a "why" for you that require it. You can achieve this goal in any manner you want, whatever direction you desire, etc etc.

I think it looks amazing.

Reactions: CrudeSasquatch

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
I'm pretty sure SC has no Why either. As far as I know it's all about exploration and discovery or doing some activity. There's no end Boss or level, just a world to escape to.

But looking at this game it appears to be Star Citizen Lite, personally I'm not a fan. I'll stick with SC.

The Chaos Pope

Grand Admiral
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
The_Chaos_Pope
I'm seriously pumped for No Man's Sky. An open galaxy sandbox to explore and discover, with a mystery at it's core. I dig the aesthetics and music they've displayed in the trailers, the gameplay looks engaging but also fairly laid back and relaxed. As far as a "Why?", some games want to tell you a story, some want you to participate in a story, some want to build a story with you, and some want you to go build a story in them. No Man's Sky looks to be one of those games that you are going out to build your own story in their world/universe. The experience I have in No Man's Sky may be similar to the experience that other people may have, it may be drastically different, but it will be my story. It may be the story of how many star systems I can name a combination of the words "BUTTS" and "LOL".

Think of me when you find a star system named "LOLBUTTSBUTTSBUTTSLOL".

I like that Hello Games is building the game that they want to build, and it shows in all the interviews that Sean Murray does, the same way that it shows when Chris Roberts speaks about Star Citizen.

Takran

Admiral
Feb 8, 2016
RSI Handle
TakranG
It looks somewhat interesting, but at $60, I'm not seeing the value proposition. $60 is the asking price for triple-A multi-million dollar productions. Hell, if you're a sane person (i.e. not us) you can get in on SC for $60. I'd pick it up if it goes on sale for $40 or less (Steam holiday sale 2016?). I'm sure it's worth it for people that are super-into this type of game, but I don't need to have it right meow, I'll be patient. Plus, there'll be more info on it down the road, like actual user experiences.

CrudeSasquatch

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2016
RSI Handle
CrudeSasquatch
It looks somewhat interesting, but at $60, I'm not seeing the value proposition. $60 is the asking price for triple-A multi-million dollar productions. Hell, if you're a sane person (i.e. not us) you can get in on SC for $60. I'd pick it up if it goes on sale for $40 or less (Steam holiday sale 2016?). I'm sure it's worth it for people that are super-into this type of game, but I don't need to have it right meow, I'll be patient. Plus, there'll be more info on it down the road, like actual user experiences.
I hear that!
I'm so tired of buying games, and finding out they're absolutely uninteresting.... cough cough Elite:DangerouslyBoring.

Forgot your password?