Oculus Rift

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I originally intended to wait for the consumer version, but knowing it's going to be out in more than a year, I just couldn't wait any longer.

I got the dev kit in the mail today, and I already love it. I plan on spending a lot of time playing DayZ with this sexy piece of hardware. Quick pros/cons:

Pros:
-It's lightweight and comes with different sets of lenses for the visually impaired. This helps me greatly.
-Adjustable lens distance. Before I read the manual I put the headset on. My eyeballs did not enjoy that.

Cons:
-The resolution is pretty low, but this is the dev kit after all.
-For many games you need to download third party software to play with the Rift. I don't think this will be an issue in the future though, as more and more games come out with native support.

Questions I might be able to answer or comments on the Rift?

D

DominationAgenda

How much did you pay for the DevKit? 300$? Anyways , I'm very exited myself to try out one of those things myself!
How do you think this will is affect Star Citizen regarding getting advantages over other people?
You think the quality of immersion will be higher using the Oculus Rift?

HechtorDravere

Commander
Jan 4, 2014
RSI Handle
HechtorDravere
I WANT THOSE!!!!!!

Can you just use them as goggles so you can block out the wife get totally immersed in a game without the whole head tilting thing?

Do the have built in headphones? Is the sound quality good?

Reactions: BluChew

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
How much did you pay for the DevKit? 300$? Anyways , I'm very exited myself to try out one of those things myself!
How do you think this will is affect Star Citizen regarding getting advantages over other people?
You think the quality of immersion will be higher using the Oculus Rift?
Yes, it was $300. I don't think it will provide any more advantage than a TrackIR headset, but It will be much more immersive. With the Oculus Rift I think it will be much more immersive once high resolution versions are made.

I WANT THOSE!!!!!!

Can you just use them as goggles so you can block out the wife get totally immersed in a game without the whole head tilting thing?

Do the have built in headphones? Is the sound quality good?
You can set them up that way somehow, but I'm not sure how.

They don't have built in headphones, which I'm glad for. This lets you keep your own headset and keeps the price down by the $100 extra dollars it might cost with them.

SeungRyul

Spreader of Truth / Master of Hamsters
Staff member
Donor
Oct 30, 2013
RSI Handle
Citizen404
I have very bad eyesight (in the negatives), I was wondering how "convenient" the lens swapping was as a fellow visually impaired person :)

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
I have very bad eyesight (in the negatives), I was wondering how "convenient" the lens swapping was as a fellow visually impaired person :)
Basically they just twist in and out of place. They're pretty easy to exchange, but I'll be damned if it doesn't take a lot of force to twist them in. There are three sets of lenses, one for 20/20 and far sight, one for moderate near sight, and one for severe near sight.

chrizz

Digital Janitor
Staff member
Officer
Jan 22, 2014
RSI Handle
chrizz
I always wondered what happens when you have your head in a straight position, then move it somewhere to look in the game in this particular direction and center it back. does it exactly center ingame and your head in RL too ?

because a minor offset would be bad when you sit in front of your keyboard and mouse, but your head is slightly twisted to the left because this is what ingame is center position.

can the oculus detect a center position ?

i hope you get my question... i don't want to twist my head like a snake and look completely retarded and have neck pain because of that :D

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
If it's calibrated correctly, yes, but if there's a turn limit in games without native support, then you might have to correct with the mouse.

Egriz

Grand Pooh-Bear
Donor
Jan 25, 2014
RSI Handle
Egriz
What is the resolution on the Dev Pack? I plan on getting an Oculus Rift, but if the Dev kit is a much lower resolution compared to what the consumer release will be, I'm going to wait.

edit: according to wiki, dev kit is 1280 x 800, whereas the consumer version will be 1920 x 1080.

Last edited:

SkippyLeDoo

Lame Title
Nov 16, 2013
RSI Handle
SkippyLeDoo
What is the resolution on the Dev Pack? I plan on getting an Oculus Rift, but if the Dev kit is a much lower resolution compared to what the consumer release will be, I'm going to wait.
The screen is 1280x800. I love the Rift, but many games are hard to play and details are hard to make out. I would recommend waiting out.

Forgot your password?