Opinions on custom computer builders

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
The parts warranty is usually longer than the builder warranty anyhow in most cases. The RTX 2080TI, Ryzen 3690x, and a Gigabye motherboard all have a 3 year warranty from These companies are also going to know alot more about their products than some builder who slapped the machine together. Then if you look at digital storm's warranty its also 3 years so you are not really getting a longer warranty just another middle man. As for the other items they will have different warranties depending what they are but those are the big 3 that actually matter.
Not to mention you are paying extra for their warranty. That or they are freeloading off the parts warranty and claiming "they" provide warrant and just RMA the part for you and just send it to the company to deal with it instead of themselves. Then they upcharge you for "their" warranty

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
FYI, Origin was acquired by Corsair in 2019, so I have no idea how their quality may have changed (improved or decreased), so look carefully if you go with them, I like Corsair products, but anytime you have a change in leadership, things change.

Reactions: Phantomoftruth

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Do not buy Alienware, my son got a Alienware for Christmas and it leaked corrosive lubricant from the cooler all over. Alienware (Dell) would not replace the motherboard even though the lubricant already started eating it away. My advice, build your own.
I've yet to meet a single person who has purchased an Alienware and been pleased with it... outside of those showing off. I helped my kid build a PC a while ago, his buddy's parents got him an Alienware and the kid couldn't stop talking shit. So I specked an Alienware with exactly the same specs in my kid's PC. The Alienware was over 2x the price we paid to build it our selves. Irony being what it is, that kids Alienware bricked it self a month later and they had to ship it to Dell for a replacement. My Kid's PC is a few years old now and has run perfectly since we built it.

c0sign

Commander
Donor
May 1, 2020
RSI Handle
c0sign
i've not built a machine in over 10 years

It hasn't changed, just build your own. You will get more out of it....when it comes to your processor choice, just make sure your motherboard works with it. just because it fits it, doesn't mean it supports it. you also might have to flash the bios if the board is older then the processor.

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
It hasn't changed, just build your own. You will get more out of it....when it comes to your processor choice, just make sure your motherboard works with it. just because it fits it, doesn't mean it supports it. you also might have to flash the bios if the board is older then the processor.
Stupid easy too. Everything is labeled and there isnt a plug that can be put where it doesnt belong.

Radegast74

Space Marshal
Oct 8, 2016
RSI Handle
Radegast74
At various points in time, NewEgg will have a good sale, where it is cheaper to buy a pre-built than it is to put a rig together yourself. I think what you want to to is pick a itme when you are ready to upgrade, and then price compare then. I think we are a in a weird time now, normally there are sales in the summer, timed to "back-to-school" events but now with COVID-19, who knows?

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
At various points in time, NewEgg will have a good sale, where it is cheaper to buy a pre-built than it is to put a rig together yourself. I think what you want to to is pick a itme when you are ready to upgrade, and then price compare then. I think we are a in a weird time now, normally there are sales in the summer, timed to "back-to-school" events but now with COVID-19, who knows?
If there is sales on prebuilts there are sales on parts and it will still be better if you wait on sales.

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
I only buy prebuilts if they are used and only for the case, PW, Keyboard, Mouse, any cables, and MAYBE the motherboard lol. From there i build what i want.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
Xidax is made of old alienware people

unrelated to that, a slight rebuild sacking the threadripper

AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor
Corsair H150i PRO 47.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI MEG X570 ACE ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Western Digital Blue 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB NITRO+ SE Video Card
Thermaltake Core X71 ATX Full Tower Case
EVGA SuperNOVA G3 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

this also change build date to approx. 09/20/20

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264

first thing i want to suggest is you aim for an NVME m.2 drive(samsung leading the market there) their read write speeds are extremely fast and will really help your computer out. if you dont get one of those maybe consider a PCI-express SSD.

next maybe you should think about 12 cores vice 16 as the Ryzen 9 3900X has a 300 MHZ higher base clock and higher turbo boost not to mention its half the price of the 3950X. Below is the current hierarchy. 12 cores should be sufficient for streaming and gaming at this time.(games dont use that many cores yet)

Your video card i can't tell you much about it because i dont know radeon very well and im very nvidia biased so my oppinon will obviously be very 1 sided.

EVGA is good for power supplies

You should map out a good mouse to i highly suggest G900 series from logitech or a Razer mouse i have used a lot of mice and those 2 brands/series are my favorites. currently im rocking a G900 Choas spectrum and i cant tell the difference from that wireless to a normal wired mouse.

Also no blu ray drive? i know lots of stuff moving digital but you may regret someday that you dont have either an external or an internal drive. i get pissed when i want to make a music CD from my music collection to use in my car but cant because i dont have a CD burner on my laptop.

Also another thing you should look into is possibly getting 64 GB if you plan to stream/video edit. I have 32 in mine and i do max out when i use things like CAD and it did affect my streaming quality time to time.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Any computer shop can build you a desktop to your specs. For that shop local. You help out a local small business when they need it, you won't spend more amd if something goes wrong, you aren't trying to get support from China.

Reactions: Radegast74

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
FYI, Origin was acquired by Corsair in 2019, so I have no idea how their quality may have changed (improved or decreased), so look carefully if you go with them, I like Corsair products, but anytime you have a change in leadership, things change.
Their laptops are still Sagers.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale

I see one major problem with this build. Why would you get an M.2 that small? Get an Intel or Samsung NVME Gen 3 that is at least 1TB. Even at 512GB that is going to bottleneck your system.

Other notes liquid cooling looks cool but is extra maintence and significantly higher cost for very little, if any, gain over air cooling.

Your PSU is small for your components, especially if you are going to expand in the future.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
My new build, this weekend's project:
i9 (9900K) 8 corers 16 threads.
Gigabyte G390 "Gaming X"
32 GB (16x2) DDR4-3600 (GSKILL RipJaws)
Intel SSD 2048 GB (2TB) NVME Gen 3.
4x Seagate 2TB 7200 drives (RAID5)
EVGA 850G 850W PSU
EVGA RTX 2080 Super
Zalman CNPS9900-MAX Blue CPU Cooler.
Full set of new fans, MOBO Controlled

It fits in my old Antec DF 84 Full Tower case. :)

Just waiting on UPS. :)

Cost, less than $2500.

Phantomoftruth

Space Marshal
Feb 14, 2016
RSI Handle
PhantomofTruth
I see one major problem with this build. Why would you get an M.2 that small? Get an Intel or Samsung NVME Gen 3 that is at least 1TB. Even at 512GB that is going to bottleneck your system.

Other notes liquid cooling looks cool but is extra maintence and significantly higher cost for very little, if any, gain over air cooling.

Your PSU is small for your components, especially if you are going to expand in the future.
thank you for the review. i've already made some adjustments to the parts list

Reactions: Richard Bong
Forgot your password?