[OT] Build your Fantasy Fleet

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
Ok so here’s my idea for a massive argument discussion topic.

Using whatever sci-fi universes you want, build your fantasy fleet.

In order to prevent interesting but (IMO) overdone arguments about universe vs universe strengths, We’re going to average out strengths across universes. Basically how this works is roughly equivalent size and category ships from one universe will be rated as a similar strength to ships from a different universe of a similar size and usage, i.e. A Mercury class Battlestar will be roughly equivalent to an ISD. The Normandy SR2 is super overpowered in every universe because it is in It’s universe. An Idris will be roughly equivalent to a lancer class frigate, except that in a straight fight the Idris would probably take a lancer due to focus, as the Idris has anti-capital ship capability, while the Lancer is exclusively anti-fighter, does that make sense?

I’m also making it “good-guy” factions only, so, you can’t use a Reaper destroyer. Now… I’ll allow ships that were extensively used by a good guy faction even if not built for/by them. So an Executor class SSD, or an ISDII would be fine, as the republic used the Lusankya and Guardian for example, but not an Eclipse Class SSD as the Republic never had one, and you can’t use a Covenant Corvette just because Noble team hijacked one.

Ship categories. I’m basically bastardising the "Anaxes War College" System and simplifying it. For me I’m trying not to be stupid and go “I have 100 Star destroyers and a thousand frigates” and imagining there is some limitations, but you can do what you want ;)

A Corvette is anything 100-200m,
A Frigate is 200-350m,
A Destroyer is 350-900m,
A Cruiser is 900-2000m,
A Battlecruiser is 2000m to 6000m,
A Dreadnought is >6000m,

I’m giving myself 1 Dreadnought, 2 Battlecruisers, 12 Cruisers, 15 Destroyers, 20 Frigates, and 25 Corvettes. You can split up fleet allowances however you like, pick ships for whatever reason you want.
My Choices

I split it up in 3 fleet groups and tried to balance the strengths.
Fleet group 1;
Group 1 has my flagship, A Viscount class Star Defender, I was really tempted to go with an Executor class, but I like Mon Cal ships XD.
The cruisers are 2 Mass Effect Everest Class and 2 Bengal Carriers.
I’ll use 2 Javelins, 2 Carracks (Star Wars, not Citizen) and a Valkyrie Class Battlestar for destroyers.
Frigates, I’d use 2 Daedalus class ships from Stargate, 2 Idris-M’s, And 2 Quasar Fire class carriers
Corvettes; 2 Polaris, 4 Hammerheads, 2 CR90’s, And the Normandy SR2.

Fleet groups 2 and 3
The flagships of these groups are Infinity Class supercarriers from Halo.
They are flanked by 2 MC90 Cruisers and 2 Mercury Class Battlestars
The destroyer complement is the same as group 1
Frigates, 2 Daedalus class, 4 Idris M’s and 1 Quasar Fire.
Corvettes, 2 Polaris, 5 Hammerheads and an Anvil Carrack each

The intelligent among you will have noticed I cheated, cause the Infinity is super overpowered as shit, and carriers 10 600m long ships inside it XD

The fighter compliments across all 3 fleets is A-Wings, Vipers, and M50s for interceptors, Hornets and X-Wings for superiority, And Gladiators and Tie Bombers for missile boats/bombers. There would also be a number of Retaliator Bombers, U-Wings, Raptors (BSG), and Anvil Valkyries as utility and dropship craft.

Basically what I was trying to do across the fleets is balance; long range hitting power (UNSC Infinity, Everest Class etc), close in hitting power (MC90s, Viscount etc,) point defence and fighter carrying. With the ability to split elements off for long range strikes or patrolling

So go nuts Testies, change the rules at your whim, justify your choices however you want, build your fantasy fleets. :)

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
I'll keep my fleet rather limited, but enhance it with property claim instead. I'd own ALL of the planet Uranus just for the shock / joke value & have my home base / fortress built inside that frigid place. I'd also build in 3 other installations on the other side of the planet, 1 for the guards over the 2 UEE military prison colonies (Male & Female) that I'd charge rent to the UEE as well as have them guard my planet from unwelcome invaders that don't arrive with me or through the military detail. As the owner / ruler of that planet that would technically be inhabited, I'd also be deemed a permanent member of the UEE Senate. With which I would be able to help my fellow TESTies with various legal issues by offering them alternative forms of "community service" to pay off their debts to society. (They can work at my in base bar after parties for all TESTies. Sure, they'll have to clean the place up, but at least they would've gotten to get hammered with us the night before.) Should anybody dare to pick a fight with me, I'll jokingly remind them that they "don't want to do that because I already own Uranus in 1 way, I doubt that you'd care to double that." I know, bad joke, but such is life sometimes. It's often better to lol at bad or awkward situations while figuring them out than to panic.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Feel like I could cheat as well and simply take Warhammer 40K's flagship of Abaddon the Despoiler named, Krukal'Righ.

About 13.5 km long and constructed inside the Eye of Terror, it's nicknamed Planet Killer. Drawing on the Warp to power it.

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
I'll keep my fleet rather limited, but enhance it with property claim instead. I'd own ALL of the planet Uranus just for the shock / joke value & have my home base / fortress built inside that frigid place. I'd also build in 3 other installations on the other side of the planet, 1 for the guards over the 2 UEE military prison colonies (Male & Female) that I'd charge rent to the UEE as well as have them guard my planet from unwelcome invaders that don't arrive with me or through the military detail. As the owner / ruler of that planet that would technically be inhabited, I'd also be deemed a permanent member of the UEE Senate. With which I would be able to help my fellow TESTies with various legal issues by offering them alternative forms of "community service" to pay off their debts to society. (They can work at my in base bar after parties for all TESTies. Sure, they'll have to clean the place up, but at least they would've gotten to get hammered with us the night before.) Should anybody dare to pick a fight with me, I'll jokingly remind them that they "don't want to do that because I already own Uranus in 1 way, I doubt that you'd care to double that." I know, bad joke, but such is life sometimes. It's often better to lol at bad or awkward situations while figuring them out than to panic.
All hail Uranus!

SPRNinja

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 20, 2014
RSI Handle
SPRNinja
Feel like I could cheat as well and simply take Warhammer 40K's flagship of Abaddon the Despoiler named, Krukal'Righ.

About 13.5 km long and constructed inside the Eye of Terror, it's nicknamed Planet Killer. Drawing on the Warp to power it.
Lol, I actually did think of this in the question, and was like, I know someone is going to use the Planet killer lol... Warhammer is just on another scale so its really tough to roll it in. The other thing is stuff like EVE Titans, like the Avatar class just wrecks whats in it's way

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Warhammer is just on another scale so its really tough to roll it in.
Yeah. It's hard to balance things when you add in space god demon ships powered by the hatred of pure evil.

I hate being the guy that's like "WaRhAmMeR bEaTs AlL!!!" But they really do go so over the top in their own fiction that it's hard to find areas in which they'd lose.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Yeah. It's hard to balance things when you add in space god demon ships powered by the hatred of pure evil.

I hate being the guy that's like "WaRhAmMeR bEaTs AlL!!!" But they really do go so over the top in their own fiction that it's hard to find areas in which they'd lose.
If I was sitting next to a person while they were playing Warhammer online & I wanted to nerf them hard core while they were in some sort of godlike ship, I'd just reach behind their unit & unplug their PC or unplug their laptop as well as eject their battery simultaneously. I'd say that's just as over the top & crossing the line from my point of view. ;p I obviously haven't played that game before or if I have I don't remember doing so.

Reactions: Vavrik

Sirus7264

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 5, 2017
RSI Handle
Sirus7264
Ok so here’s my idea for a massive argument discussion topic.

Using whatever sci-fi universes you want, build your fantasy fleet.

In order to prevent interesting but (IMO) overdone arguments about universe vs universe strengths, We’re going to average out strengths across universes. Basically how this works is roughly equivalent size and category ships from one universe will be rated as a similar strength to ships from a different universe of a similar size and usage, i.e. A Mercury class Battlestar will be roughly equivalent to an ISD. The Normandy SR2 is super overpowered in every universe because it is in It’s universe. An Idris will be roughly equivalent to a lancer class frigate, except that in a straight fight the Idris would probably take a lancer due to focus, as the Idris has anti-capital ship capability, while the Lancer is exclusively anti-fighter, does that make sense?

I’m also making it “good-guy” factions only, so, you can’t use a Reaper destroyer. Now… I’ll allow ships that were extensively used by a good guy faction even if not built for/by them. So an Executor class SSD, or an ISDII would be fine, as the republic used the Lusankya and Guardian for example, but not an Eclipse Class SSD as the Republic never had one, and you can’t use a Covenant Corvette just because Noble team hijacked one.

Ship categories. I’m basically bastardising the "Anaxes War College" System and simplifying it. For me I’m trying not to be stupid and go “I have 100 Star destroyers and a thousand frigates” and imagining there is some limitations, but you can do what you want ;)

A Corvette is anything 100-200m,
A Frigate is 200-350m,
A Destroyer is 350-900m,
A Cruiser is 900-2000m,
A Battlecruiser is 2000m to 6000m,
A Dreadnought is >6000m,

I’m giving myself 1 Dreadnought, 2 Battlecruisers, 12 Cruisers, 15 Destroyers, 20 Frigates, and 25 Corvettes. You can split up fleet allowances however you like, pick ships for whatever reason you want.
My Choices

I split it up in 3 fleet groups and tried to balance the strengths.
Fleet group 1;
Group 1 has my flagship, A Viscount class Star Defender, I was really tempted to go with an Executor class, but I like Mon Cal ships XD.
The cruisers are 2 Mass Effect Everest Class and 2 Bengal Carriers.
I’ll use 2 Javelins, 2 Carracks (Star Wars, not Citizen) and a Valkyrie Class Battlestar for destroyers.
Frigates, I’d use 2 Daedalus class ships from Stargate, 2 Idris-M’s, And 2 Quasar Fire class carriers
Corvettes; 2 Polaris, 4 Hammerheads, 2 CR90’s, And the Normandy SR2.

Fleet groups 2 and 3
The flagships of these groups are Infinity Class supercarriers from Halo.
They are flanked by 2 MC90 Cruisers and 2 Mercury Class Battlestars
The destroyer complement is the same as group 1
Frigates, 2 Daedalus class, 4 Idris M’s and 1 Quasar Fire.
Corvettes, 2 Polaris, 5 Hammerheads and an Anvil Carrack each

The intelligent among you will have noticed I cheated, cause the Infinity is super overpowered as shit, and carriers 10 600m long ships inside it XD

The fighter compliments across all 3 fleets is A-Wings, Vipers, and M50s for interceptors, Hornets and X-Wings for superiority, And Gladiators and Tie Bombers for missile boats/bombers. There would also be a number of Retaliator Bombers, U-Wings, Raptors (BSG), and Anvil Valkyries as utility and dropship craft.

Basically what I was trying to do across the fleets is balance; long range hitting power (UNSC Infinity, Everest Class etc), close in hitting power (MC90s, Viscount etc,) point defence and fighter carrying. With the ability to split elements off for long range strikes or patrolling

So go nuts Testies, change the rules at your whim, justify your choices however you want, build your fantasy fleets. :)
You sank my battleship.

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
If I was sitting next to a person while they were playing Warhammer online & I wanted to nerf them hard core while they were in some sort of godlike ship, I'd just reach behind their unit & unplug their PC or unplug their laptop as well as eject their battery simultaneously. I'd say that's just as over the top & crossing the line from my point of view. ;p I obviously haven't played that game before or if I have I don't remember doing so.
Spoiler Alert: (with potential solution)
You can't normally remove a battery from a laptop that way, and the disassembly which typically requires turning it over, (involves a Phillips screwdriver or even nowadays a Torx) is not going to occur as a complete surprise. Also many PC's have a safety for the power cable, so you'd just end up dragging it around. This is in addition to the somewhat elevated risk of requiring a dental surgeon.

Solution: Just turn off the router instead. There's also less of a chance of needing to look for a new tooth.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Spoiler Alert: (with potential solution)
You can't normally remove a battery from a laptop that way, and the disassembly which typically requires turning it over, (involves a Phillips screwdriver or even nowadays a Torx) is not going to occur as a complete surprise. Also many PC's have a safety for the power cable, so you'd just end up dragging it around. This is in addition to the somewhat elevated risk of requiring a dental surgeon.

Solution: Just turn off the router instead. There's also less of a chance of needing to look for a new tooth.
Once again the obvious escaped my grasp. Great call.

Reactions: Vavrik

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
If this is a Fantasy Draft of spaceships, I'll just say I have a Legatus Pack Equivalent in regards to any Sci-Fi movie, show or comic ever. I'll have one of every ship :P

Forgot your password?