PC Part advice plz

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
After a couple years now not playing SC, I decided a couple weeks ago to do a budget build. Found a suggested build on the web. Don't need a case or a GPU, so it's paired down to under $400. Upgrading the SSD to 500GB, and upgrading power supply to at least 500W and the MOBO to an MSI full ATX instead of a micro, and I'm still under $500. If this is good enough for now, I'm a happy camper. Waiting until cyber Monday might afford some additional upgrading.

View attachment 14181
From looking up that MB it has one M.2 slot but it is NVMe, so that is good.

With 16 gigs of RAM SC frequently had issues on my PC, but as soon as I dropped an EVO 970 into it and moved SC to that 'drive' SC has performed admirably on my system.

ColonelWolf

Commander
Oct 5, 2019
RSI Handle
ColonelWolf
I second the Ryzen 3600 recommendation. I have a 3600X, but the few percent the X may give you more don’t matter really as the 3600 seems to be better when OC‘d.
The 3rd Gen Ryzen benefit a lot from RAM 3200 or faster, I have 16 GB of 3600 and it does a great job. A
Also second the M.2 SSD recommendation if your board supports it. I have a 1 TB that does over 4 GBit/s, measured. Crazy fast when you compare with the „old“ HHDs.

Cugino83

Space Marshal
Apr 25, 2019
RSI Handle
Cugino
Well I haven't assemble a rig for a few years now but from what I'm seeing around AMD Ryzen 3 still have some problem with some motherboard bios, be very carefull with that, same thinks for the AMD GPU especially the newer one.
Note of advice: most game are single tread so core count doesn't matter, clock speed on the single core has more impact.

I suggest as the other an MVM.me driver at least for the SO, for other things if the price for the MVM.me drive is to hight looks for a standard SATA 3 drive: we are at a point where you can buy a 1 TB SSD for 30-50€ (for storage you don't need somothing lake a Samsung EVO, just grab a Kingstone and you'll be fine).

Olso a suggestion: if you plan to keep the rig for several years invest in it now: I was used to buy medium cheep GPU and upgrade later to the same laver of the new generation, well making bottom line count on a 6-8 year time circle it will cost more then buy the top line (or the 2nd rakned GPU) at the start and you also need to get in compormise with performance. It will cost more upfront, but it will pay in the long run.

Dont bother with a multi GPU setup: those are only for test bench and doesn't relly affect your gaming experience.

Reactions: Bambooza and Deroth
Forgot your password?