Perma Death

Horatus

Space Marshal
Nov 2, 2017
RSI Handle
Horatus
It really depends on which side of the engagement you are on as to how your perceive things to have gone. I know i've been accused of being a griefer simply because I was killing players who happened to enter an area we were tasked with protecting while farming for a specific drop. So while we our intent was not to kill for the sake of being dicks we did not give warnings or attempt to allow players to retreat as it was to risky. Even doing some sort of broadcast could have opened up the possibility of an organized counter instead of just a few players who got ganked for being in the wrong place at the wrong time and we hoped to be done before to many people realized what we were doing.

And if you put yourself in the perspective of the killed player it would have very much felt like indiscriminate killing thus being ganked, especially when they came back to the same area and were quickly dispatched with no warning.

So with this in mind I can see us being a very large group engaging in questionable activities having similar experience were we are attempting to accomplish a goal and other players outside of our group just seeing us as being the 1000 pound gorilla throwing our weight around with no reason as to why we targeted them and blew up their ship.
I do agree with your conclusion that perspective has a lot to do with this.

Reactions: Bambooza and Ammorn

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
I do agree with your conclusion that perspective has a lot to do with this.
Yeah, though in that situation they could have been messaged and told it wasn't personal, and that they were just protecting their operation and to not come back while they were there. It would be a courtesy, though not necessary, but would help sooth the butthurt.

If it was a big fleet op with like 100-1,000+ people, then it's their fault for fucking with a big ball of death.

Reactions: Bambooza

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I have wondered how they will deal with changing identities. I have to assume that there will be a consistent character identifier (name) that will persist through all deaths. It in some way diminishes the point of character death, but how else will people keep track of friends?
CIG has said they know they can't punish people for dying in game by taking their finances, since a character's wealth can so easily be tied to what the player invested to play. If you put $1k in and die, they can't have your next character get only a fraction of that. They get your entire till.

So last I heard was the penalty for dying will be reflected in the missions you can access. Regardless of where you are on the outlaw status issue, some missions will be open and others not depending upon arcane influences they do not describe. Death however is one of those influences. So if a mission comes up that offers a rare bit of Xian tech, like chillers with twice the power and half the mass and size; and you have died too often, you'll just need to buy it from someone else. You won't be able to earn it. And rest assured CIG can make that a very painful experience. It costs them NOTHING to invent ships components that outperform all others and these will quickly become the grand goals of the game.

They're very serious about death. You should never presume it won't matter. It will. They're serious about the missions too. If you want a truly great ship, you'll need to fly lots of hard missions with your friends.

Reactions: Ammorn and Bambooza

Phil

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Bacraut
As with every game there will always be loop holes, bugs, manipulation, exploits etc... call it what you will balancing game mechanics like this will always be tricky, until we know more its hard to say but Star Wars had a unique family tree design which might actually be interesting to incorporate into a game like this. Should be interesting to see how there manage this mechanic or if they go a different route.

Reactions: Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
I have to say this part of the game along with crime stats is going to have the biggest impact on everyone and I am really looking forward to see how they envision it.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
As with every game there will always be loop holes, bugs, manipulation, exploits etc... call it what you will balancing game mechanics like this will always be tricky, until we know more its hard to say but Star Wars had a unique family tree design which might actually be interesting to incorporate into a game like this. Should be interesting to see how there manage this mechanic or if they go a different route.
What Star Wars game was that with the family tree design?

Reactions: Phil and Bambooza
Forgot your password?