PTU Tutorial misgivings - review

If you tried it in PTU, what was your impression.

• Did not like it particularly.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Amazing piece of programming and voice acting. Better than I expected. I really learned to fly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
This topic is about the tutorial released in PTU.
Please give me your opinions, likes and dislikes.

Here is the official forum topic on the RSI forums.
Some people have great points to make here.
I suggest you read their take on the matter.

My opinion:
I think it is a half-assed rushed pile of Bantha piss.
It is sloppy work, too condensed, too cliché and just lazy. lazy, lazy, lazy.
I have no other way of describing it.

If you have tried it in the PTU, please give me your impressions.
And yeah it looks cool, it is sorta OK. But only since this is a new content we got from them, and god knows we gobble everything up CIG throws at us.

I am more critical because I look with an observers eye from the outside, I put myself into the shoes of people that have never even tried SC Arena Commander.
It is their first day in the hangar, and their first experience so to speak.

For this tutorial to make sense, and to really teach new people it needs to be more, waaaaay more than what they slapped together in a hurry.
And if they did not slap this together in a hurry and they actually spent a month on it, then god help us as the rest of the game is in trouble if that is true.

Tooterfish

Vice Admiral
Donor
Nov 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Tooterfish
Well, it's better than nothing. I'd like to see refinement over time, maybe some more advanced stuff added. From a project management perspective I can understand why it took them a month to slap together and would be surprised if they even had more than a couple people dedicated to it with everything going on.

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
You my friend, fall under the categoy of content starved SC fans like myself, but you settle for "Any content, is good content". :)

I had to distance myself from that in order to stay objective.
I had to put myself into the shoes of people who will see that for the first time.

Remember, there will be many new backers when FPS module hits.
A lot will also try this tutorial in AC. And since they do not know SC like we do, they will of course get their hopes/wishes cut down.
Hype will die within that first 20 minutes of gameplay.

TheZekk

Space Marshal
Mar 23, 2015
RSI Handle
Zekk
I'm going to make my dad try it. Ultimate tutorial test.

We played wing commander together back when I was a kid

Star Pilgrim

Rear Admiral
Feb 24, 2015
RSI Handle
Star_Pilgrim
Perfect test candidate. :)

Feral Oxide

Grand Admiral
Mar 13, 2015
RSI Handle
FeralOxide
I tried to view it as a total newb to the game and it would lose someone with no experience with the controls pretty easy. If you messed up you just got yelled at rather than told how to do it again or have an option to rebook at the instruction page. Not a total fail, but pretty lame. Then again, mostI game tutorials have a tendency to throw you into the fire and you pretty much expect several hours or days looking for tips n youtube walkthroughs to really get the idea,

Forgot your password?