Samsung 980 PRO SSD - Limited Life

ColdDog

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 3, 2014
RSI Handle
FatalisSmilodon
Anyone have an extremely short Samsung 980 Pro SSD life. Not sure why, I've only been using mine for a couple months for SC and it is reporting it needs to be replaced. Not sure why it says 821 TB... for a drive I only use for SC. Maybe I just got a bad one but maybe something else is going on. Like to figure it out before I go buy another.

Capacity was half full... I read that if I did a secure erase it may return it to factory... not that it would make a difference with the drive health.

I have had the 970 Evo for a couple years and its only at ~15 TB

1657510142181.png

Performance still looks good
1657510196413.png

1657510652825.png

Diagnostic scan reported everything good.

Sadebreth

Captain
Jul 3, 2022
RSI Handle
Sadebreth
My Alienware had the same issue with it’s SSD. Didn’t even have it for a year and the diagnostics showed it was degrading. Dell had to send me a new one. Thank god for 5 year warranties. I will find out what brand it is and get back with you.

Reactions: ColdDog

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Anyone have an extremely short Samsung 980 Pro SSD life. Not sure why, I've only been using mine for a couple months for SC and it is reporting it needs to be replaced. Not sure why it says 821 TB... for a drive I only use for SC. Maybe I just got a bad one but maybe something else is going on. Like to figure it out before I go buy another.

Capacity was half full... I read that if I did a secure erase it may return it to factory... not that it would make a difference with the drive health.

I have had the 970 Evo for a couple years and its only at ~15 TB

View attachment 23188

Performance still looks good
View attachment 23189

View attachment 23190

Diagnostic scan reported everything good.

Sometimes there is a fault in the drive which degrades its performance more rapidly than expected. While a secure erase might make it seem to regain the full drive I would recommend seeing if it's still covered by a warranty and if not still replace it.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
I've been running hundreds of SSDs for over a decade and the performance degradation is very gradual. That's either a firmware bug, or a software bug, or possibly as you say a dodo drive (i doubt it). Warranty it up good sir! Tell them you TESTED it and it FAILED!

Forgot your password?