Scan School

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Consequent to watching ‘50’s pirate movies at 2AM, my internet access is throttled and all navigation is now painful. I can however load the Hardpoint calculator and write offline, so here follows some of my most recent finds on scan, stealth and seeing stuff in space. IMHO, this is one of the most important game dynamics to master, and though it is still early, there is already a lot to learn. Whether you are planning to sit tactical on the bridge of a larger ship, or just want to improve your dogfighting chances, every able citizen of the stars needs to know this stuff. My hope is someone will sticky this up and we can all post our finds here. This is all about how to win at seeing before you’re seen, or concomitantly, how to avoid being seen before you see. Seeing stuff in space is the first tactical action and if we ignore how the game works, we will pay for it one way or another.

First thing to note is stealth and scan are not yet finalized, but they are both working with as close an approximation as CIG can offer for now. IR is unimplemented and the calculator does not show useful numbers here, nor offer any real choices for coolers, so this post only considers EM. Additionally, to reduce the number of salient factors I’m reporting figures with weapons, shields and Q Drives off—super stealth mode—so we can make some useful observations without cluttering with data about how ballistics usually have lower standby EM than lasers, these shields emit more than those shields, etc.

So to some useful observations:

Stealth frames include a box around the reactor that gives lower EM stats that you cannot swap in or out. Since the reactor is the biggest producer of EM, and can’t be switched off, this means you’ll never be able to trick out a SuperHornet to stats like the Ghost. If you want good stealth, buy it in the ship frame. This does not mean you can’t gain a huge advantage by tricking out a non-stealth package. It just means if you meet a stealth bird, he is probably going to see you before you see him. So you’ll only be hiding from non-stealth birds if you stealify a non-stealth ship.

Sabres are a great first case to examine. They are unusual in that they offer two S1 reactors rather than the usual 1. They come with a pair of SonicLite reactors that provide 2,250 power @ and emit 408 EM. One thing I recommend for those wanting to trick out the Sabre is pull both reactors and see how the bird flies with 1 IonBurst (1,796 power/230 EM) as primary, and perhaps a StarHeart (3,250 power/797 EM) as secondary, and leave the secondary off until you need it. Especially if you’re flying ballistics, you may greatly improve the stealth qualities of your Sabre this way, and if you need the second reactor, you will actually have more power available than the stock bird. You may prefer to go to ballistics like the Mantis, since the Mantis requires less than half the power of the Panthers and emits one sixth the EM signature on standby. This is a good choice to optimize EM stealth. Try using other reactors than the StarHeart and see if your shields refresh quickly enough with whatever weapons you choose.

Almost all ships have 2 coolers. There’s no detail yet as to which are better in this or that—they all produce 18 EM. Whatever CIG does with coolers, if you have something like a Sabre where you can switch off 1 of 2 reactors, try flying with 1 of the Coolers off when your second reactor is off.

So what of the numbers? According to the Hardpoint calculator, the standard Sabre in super-stealth has an EM sig of 633, and with the changes I describe, only 440. Furthermore, a tricked out Sabre with 4 Mantises busy firing and 3 beasty Forcewall shields recharging, requires 2,017 power. You can easily get that from a pair of IonBurst reactors. So it does appear the Sabre will fly just fine and offer greatly enhanced stealth, if you swap the guns, reactors and put in the biggest shields, but we still need to test this since the thruster data is not enabled in the Hardpoint calculator.

It looks like you can get hugely improved stealth, shields and DPS with these kinds of changes, without sacrificing maneuverability nor speed. It does mean you have to practice trigger control so you don’t run out of ammo, but the Mantis does 10% more damage than the Panthers, more of that penetrates shields, and the shots fly about 20% faster so you’ll hit more often too.

Yeah, yeah, someone will say it’s too early to do analysis since everything will change—but hey, the fact everything will be different in two years does not mean you should fly the ship you have today without as much optimization as you can get. What I learned is the Sabre actually has astonishing stealth ability. It's no small advantage. I thought it was like the F35, but it is much more like an F22. I want a Sabre now!

Last edited:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Another interesting point: In drift mode, with weapons, shields, 1 reactor, one cooler, engines and maneuvering thrusters all off: the Sabre has an EM sig of just 138. It's nearly invisible, but it can still scan for EM and IR, and fire missiles like this. Just how close could you drift toward any given target without being seen with such an insanely low signature, before you fired missiles?

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
The way radar (scanning) works in real life, you have 2 primary modes: Active and Passive. Active means you send out a ping and listen for a reply (similar to the way pinging in SC works now). Passive means you sit there and only listen without sending out a ping. CIG has barely implemented these mechanics into the game. Lets let them develop and refine it a little bit before we go off the deep end with theorycrafting unfinished mechanics.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I must respectfully disagree. Plenty of this stuff is in game. Players discuss it at a very surface level in some vids, but there is room to explore scan dynamics in order to become a better pilot.

What we’re calling “active radar” or RCS for “Radar Cross Section” is in game since the last patch, and there has been no discussion here of how that game dynamic works. Best I can tell players are not bothering with it, but it appeared to me to offer some great advantages if one knows when and how to use it. I’d be thrilled for players to post here what they’ve learned about that system in the last months.

IR is not really in game, but it may come in game with the release of the Sentinel in September. It would be good for us to know what those dynamics are now, in order to catch up quickly when the game goes EM Warfare for real, just two months from now. Likewise, it would be good to hear what differences players find between the EM and IR locking missiles. We should not be guessing which missiles to fire. It could be, firing EM works best when the target has not turned and burned, and IR works better once they light up their engines, but that’s just a guess. Would be good to hear from those who know.

EM and power usage are the subjects of the calculator right now, and they’re in game. All of your systems in every bird we fly, uses those dynamics. Especially if you fly a Ghost, Sabre, Raven, Razor EX, or Eclipse; or if you plan to fly the Prowler when it is released soon, it would be a good idea to have a clue at what range a standard S1 radar equipped fighter can see you. There’s no point pulling a wide, careful circle around an opponent to come in from behind if you don’t know whether he can see what you’re doing. So knowing the range a Hornet can spot your Sabre really makes good sense.

The Hornets have all offered the choice of loading the WillsOp Long Look Radar for at least a couple years, yet no Hornet pilot I am aware of has ever reported what difference it makes. I don’t even know if there is a single Tracker pilot who has had the cooperation of other TESTies in determining what difference it makes. What does the Long Look Radar do, and why would you ever load it instead of an S4 gun? How much better can a Terrapin or Warden (both sporting S2 radar) see than a standard fighter? Which can see better, a Tracker, or a Terrapin? Does anyone here know the answer to these questions?

Lets say you fly a stock Lancer and you want to sneak past security. You know you have a narrow approach path. With all your systems up and running, you are putting out ~6,000 EM. If you shut down guns and shields, that drops to ~4,500. To know whether it’s worth dropping your shields and guns, you’d probably like to know whether EM remote sensing is linear or inverse quadraric. Standard physics says an EM signal loses power at the rate of the distance or radius squared. That’s inverse quadratic. It’d be really nice to know if CIG uses this real world equation for all remote sensing, or if they simplified for gaming reasons and made it linear. You need to know stuff like this to make wise choices as a pilot. This issue has been in game since there has been shooting.

Why would we not pool our wisdom and get answers to the simplest questions about how we see each other in space? Is it just not worth the time to know when you’re about to get your ass shot off?

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Well we can theorycraft all week and learn how shit works, then next patch all is change and we get the glory of doing it all over again.
This might be why most don't care at this point and managing the scan is not rocket science either.

Scan as it is now have two option 1st it's passive as in turn it on and point on target and wait until it snap up what ever info it can.
2nd is ping as in a active scan and it will show all it can with in the ping set area then as it's active it also show every one else close enough where you are to.

The EM signature at the moment is just arbitrary number on most ships and most share the same values regardless of what the stat say they have.
Reason for that is this game play is not fully implemented yet and a lot of testing is going on how heat and degradation can be used and what effect it have.

Since next patch it might all been change so much with new numbers and anything you knew before that don't matter one bit any more.
Hence the spending a lot a time on see how it works is at this time a bit illogical.

Or as Printimus so well put it ."Lets let them develop and refine it a little bit before we go off the deep end with theorycrafting unfinished mechanics. "

I do agree that learning this can be of good use if you have a goal where it can be useful or care to be stealthy.

But at this time and point in development it is a waste of time since nothing is set in stone or finalized and most numbers are in there for testing of mechanics not as a final product.

CHEERS! 🍻

Last edited:

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
If you don't want to theorycraft, then don't theorycraft. If you want to theorycraft, then go ahead and theorycraft.

I get it. A lot of people are frustrated with CIG, and their constantly changing game mechanics, interfaces, and apparent failure to fix bugs that pile up and make it difficult to even figure out where you're aiming. But it's possible to examine CIG's design philosophy, and work out what to think about now, rather than later. I think there is a big advantage in doing that, because the design philosophy CIG is using is not changing.

I for one don't mind when someone explains what they've worked out.

Something I found out. I've been frustrated with the speed at which a Prospector can blow up. It feels like 1 round from some weapons, you're done. But one day, back in 3.4, I was on Ariel mining a particularly good Bexalite find. Another prospector came and started mining the same rock. I was frustrated by that, it's kind of rude to eat from someone else's plate without asking. So just as I finished mining the fragment, I turned my ship the few degrees to the interloper, and fired my mining laser. To my suprise, he blew up almost instantly. Later at Port Olisar, I was attacked by one of those dorks who sit just where you appear when returning from Daymar. He wasn't that good a pilot I guess and was way too close... and he missed. As he was within 50 meters, I turned my mining laser on and made one shot with it. He also blew up. That was a Hornet. I don't know what kind... but he blew up in seconds.

I haven't had the opportunity to explore that since, and what I would say to CIG is that yes, that should happen. That laser should be incredibly powerful at short range. But the Prospector should have some better armor on the fuselage, given what its role is.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Right now, nothing. It's just a ship with a planned mechanic that isn't implemented yet. The only difference (right now) between Hornet variants is the stock firepower, and some minor differences in velocity capabilities with one of the variants. There are placeholders for almost every other statistic.

Edit: I traded mine in for a Heartseeker variant, and they gave me the base model variant as a placeholder for another ship that isn't implemented yet.

Reactions: Mich Angel

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
Is there anyone here who can share with us what the Long Look radar does on the Tracker?
As far as I seen and know when having it it didn't do anything and not to surprising either since that kind of scanning is not even in the game yet.. ;)

If you don't want to theorycraft, then don't theorycraft. If you want to theorycraft, then go ahead and theorycraft.

I get it. A lot of people are frustrated with CIG, and their constantly changing game mechanics, interfaces, and apparent failure to fix bugs that pile up and make it difficult to even figure out where you're aiming. But it's possible to examine CIG's design philosophy, and work out what to think about now, rather than later. I think there is a big advantage in doing that, because the design philosophy CIG is using is not changing.

I for one don't mind when someone explains what they've worked out.

Something I found out. I've been frustrated with the speed at which a Prospector can blow up. It feels like 1 round from some weapons, you're done. But one day, back in 3.4, I was on Ariel mining a particularly good Bexalite find. Another prospector came and started mining the same rock. I was frustrated by that, it's kind of rude to eat from someone else's plate without asking. So just as I finished mining the fragment, I turned my ship the few degrees to the interloper, and fired my mining laser. To my suprise, he blew up almost instantly. Later at Port Olisar, I was attacked by one of those dorks who sit just where you appear when returning from Daymar. He wasn't that good a pilot I guess and was way too close... and he missed. As he was within 50 meters, I turned my mining laser on and made one shot with it. He also blew up. That was a Hornet. I don't know what kind... but he blew up in seconds.

I haven't had the opportunity to explore that since, and what I would say to CIG is that yes, that should happen. That laser should be incredibly powerful at short range. But the Prospector should have some better armor on the fuselage, given what its role is.
Well they are not changing mechanic to fix bugs, they are simply trying out different variation of it to see what works best and get the most close result they are after.
This is what they do when in Alpha Example: if they might have 10, 15 variation they come up with of a mechanic they think will be what they are after.
They test all and the one that does it best is the one they settle with then start fine tuning and make it perfect.

Most time we don't know or even get to know why something is being tested and that something is causing it a hard time playing.
Maybe that data is exactly the data they want to have so they can void it then move on from there so if such problem come along the way, they have a solution for it.
There is a lot a shit going on behind doors that we don't have a clue about and as such it's fairly pointless do theory craft around it without fact.

But as I said yes this it a good thing once we have some actual fact that we now will more or less stay as they are from a point on forward with just some fine tuning.
That 's when it become really interesting to start making charts and comparisons before this sure it might be interesting for some to do this anyways so why not then do it.

CHEERS! 🍻

Reactions: Vavrik

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
What Vavrik said. Certainly, if you are flying a stealth bird, you ought to care about scan dynamics, because you're optimizing around that quality rather than others. You need to be able to fly unobserved and if you don't know what is a plausible detection distance, you can't do that.

Everyone who flies a Sabre needs to know how far from a Hornet they need to retreat to drop from their scopes. Is really quite simple, and no, I have never heard tell that it has been changed even once. So why are we inventing stories like that?

Likewise, if you plan to crew an 890 Jump, you need to have a clue how scan works. All bridge crew need to master the basics of scan or they can't communicate effectively about their jobs, since seeing your opponent effects everyone in the skies. The best tactical officers will become masters at reading and understanding ping readouts and such, and that's all in game now.

Mich Angel

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2016
RSI Handle
ARCHANGEL_666
What Vavrik said. Certainly, if you are flying a stealth bird, you ought to care about scan dynamics, because you're optimizing around that quality rather than others. You need to be able to fly unobserved and if you don't know what is a plausible detection distance, you can't do that.

Everyone who flies a Sabre needs to know how far from a Hornet they need to retreat to drop from their scopes. Is really quite simple, and no, I have never heard tell that it has been changed even once. So why are we inventing stories like that?

Likewise, if you plan to crew an 890 Jump, you need to have a clue how scan works. All bridge crew need to master the basics of scan or they can't communicate effectively about their jobs, since seeing your opponent effects everyone in the skies. The best tactical officers will become masters at reading and understanding ping readouts and such, and that's all in game now.
Of cause never disagree to that, but it's a bit hard to do know since data is not same in 3.5.1 as it was in 3.3 and it wont be same in 3.6 either

But here is 3.5.1 the latest known data on everything known from current ships..

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15KoCZBuXmoU2p8KADg5E1fcMVM6-3p3N6lmx6gaRdFU/edit#gid=1800252486
Down at the bottom you can pick what you want to see data from power, shield, radar.. etc..

And here is a video describing how to use the charts.. Video show older chart but it is updated regularly when changes happen.

CHEERS! 🍻

Last edited:
Forgot your password?