Screen Tearing

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
I've asked many people, and have received just as many answers on this. I've been having some screen tearing issues with most games. IDK whether it's the PSU, the 7 year old monitor(I doubt it, the monitor hasn't been touched in at least 4 years), my CPU bottlenecking it, or the card itself.

System:
i3-3220
16GB Corsair Vengeance
Gigabyte R9-280X
Corsair CX-500 500W PSU

What could be causing this, and how do I fix it?

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
I've asked many people, and have received just as many answers on this. I've been having some screen tearing issues with most games. IDK whether it's the PSU, the 7 year old monitor(I doubt it, the monitor hasn't been touched in at least 4 years), my CPU bottlenecking it, or the card itself.

System:
i3-3220
16GB Corsair Vengeance
Gigabyte R9-280X
Corsair CX-500 500W PSU

What could be causing this, and how do I fix it?
Do you have any specs or monitoring programs running when you experience the tearing? Like any temps on the GPU, CPU, or just case temp? Any load ratings for both cores of the CPU, the desktop RAM usage, the VRAM usage, the GPU usage? How much VRAM does that card have anyway, this is just out of curiosity more or less lol.

This might help determine where you are bottlenecking or what might be breaking.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
Do you have any specs or monitoring programs running when you experience the tearing? Like any temps on the GPU, CPU, or just case temp? Any load ratings for both cores of the CPU, the desktop RAM usage, the VRAM usage, the GPU usage? How much VRAM does that card have anyway, this is just out of curiosity more or less lol.

This might help determine where you are bottlenecking or what might be breaking.
The GPU runs at about 60C, the CPU around 30C. RAM usage is around 4 GB(5 on SC), and I don't have a program that monitors VRAM usage. The card has 3GB of VRAM.

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
The GPU runs at about 60C, the CPU around 30C. RAM usage is around 4 GB(5 on SC), and I don't have a program that monitors VRAM usage. The card has 3GB of VRAM.
That looks good to me temp-wise.

I'm not 100% sure if you can use non-MSI cards with MSI Afterburner, but that should be able to tell you VRAM usage. However, 3GB is plenty so I don't think its that.

What about the core usage of your CPU? I believe that SC is a little CPU hungry and I know most games are nowadays too.

There might be a program out there to monitor power draw, but I don't know of one off the top of my head. I know EVGA precision has a voltage setting for the GPU.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
That looks good to me temp-wise.

I'm not 100% sure if you can use non-MSI cards with MSI Afterburner, but that should be able to tell you VRAM usage. However, 3GB is plenty so I don't think its that.

What about the core usage of your CPU? I believe that SC is a little CPU hungry and I know most games are nowadays too.

There might be a program out there to monitor power draw, but I don't know of one off the top of my head. I know EVGA precision has a voltage setting for the GPU.
CPU core usage is around 40% in most games, 75% in SC. I'll look for a monitoring program, but I know for a fact that a program can't monitor power draw, you need a voltmeter for that.

JoeCool4433

Wisdom-Master
Donor
Nov 20, 2013
RSI Handle
JoeCool777
RAM usage is 4-5 GB(IDK why I got 16, nothing uses that much)
Because more RAM means more powah.

Idk bud, it doesn't seem like it would be anything hardware related to me aside from voltage issues. My only other thought would be to maybe roll back to an older driver or try another monitor from another computer just to try.

CrashMan054

Commander
Oct 23, 2014
RSI Handle
CrashMan054
Because more RAM means more powah.

Idk bud, it doesn't seem like it would be anything hardware related to me aside from voltage issues. My only other thought would be to maybe roll back to an older driver or try another monitor from another computer just to try.
Ok, I'm getting a new PSU soon, hopefully that'll fix it. I'll see if I can get another monitor, all of mine are at least 5 years old. Thanks!

Last edited:
Forgot your password?