Ship Advice

Talos

Grand Admiral
Jul 10, 2015
RSI Handle
TalosFury
Hey guys.
Wanted to run a little conundrum past the org. I had the idea when I pledged to get an all round fighter and a multi crew ship of some kind with the main purpose to primarily soloing in the game. I currently own an avenger titan and a coni andromeda, but the problem Im seeing is the coni cannot be solo'd effectively. My question is since I'm looking for an all rounder, cutlass (with the rework in mind) or one of the freelancers? Both options allow me to go out on my own or have a few friends/NPCs along.

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
You won't have issue soloing the Connie with a couple NPCs. Otherwise, go Freelancer. She's a beauty.

NecroKnight

Lieutenant
Dec 27, 2015
RSI Handle
NecroKnight
You will be able to hire NPC's to crew ships when you cannot have actual members. The Freelancers are all very easy to solo with, in fact I feel like it is the ultimate all round ship. It has cargo space, decent weaponry and defense, and with the right package can explore the galaxy. there are few others that let you do just about everything in a single ship. My suggestion is pick up a good fighter and either a mercantile or exploration variant of a lancer and you will have a good time in the game.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
And here I am, saying Cutlass. I like the firepower on the Cutlass, it's pretty easy to solo, the one issue, right now, is the turret has to be manned, but that will be fixed. And with all the work going into the Cutlass, it "should" turn out to be a nice, medium sized, little ship. I just wish they would give the turret control back to the pilot sooner, rather than later. Then I would never get out of it.

PhosphorusForFun

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
PhosphorusForFun
Connie will be better than cutlass with npc crew or even slaved turrets imo. I have neither but i do prefer connie to cutlassBLACK. But love me some blue.

Hadron Xon

Space Marshal
Jan 18, 2016
RSI Handle
Hadron_Xon
I plan on solo flying a Banu MM( if I get one) with the use of NPC's. If you have a Connie and like the ship i don't see a reason to switch up. To be honest i would not even look at crew size at this point. NPc's will be there if you need them. What can be soloed effectively is relative to the type of instance you play in and what you do in the verse.

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
I haven't been too impressed by the Freelancer but, I haven't really been on SC since 2.1 was on PTU. That was a few patches before it went live. I think the Cutlass will be a decent ship when they finish the rework but, either Cutlass or Freelancer both seem to be decent solo able ships.

I'm just confused why it matters that the multicrew isn't capable of being solo'd when you want a solo AND multicrew ship. Is there the point of multicrew to be crewed by.....multiple people? On that note, NPC'S will eventually be able to be hired to fill open rolls on the multicrew ships.

I personally am just waiting for the Redeemer to be flyable and the funds to finish upgrading to it.

You could also choose to get a Super Hornet, it is solo able and multicrew capable.

Talos

Grand Admiral
Jul 10, 2015
RSI Handle
TalosFury
Thanks for the advice guys. Soven, in answer to your question I was looking for a ship with the option of multi crew, whether it npc or otherwise. I'm finding the larger ships don't allow you to fly effectively if done solo. IE the Tali, you can fly it but need extra crew to have any guns. IMO anyway.

PhosphorusForFun

Space Marshal
Mar 14, 2015
RSI Handle
PhosphorusForFun
Thanks for the advice guys. Soven, in answer to your question I was looking for a ship with the option of multi crew, whether it npc or otherwise. I'm finding the larger ships don't allow you to fly effectively if done solo. IE the Tali, you can fly it but need extra crew to have any guns. IMO anyway.
The tali's problem is more gun position than anything. While all guns on the connie and cutlass (freelancer too i believe) can fire forward, the tali's turret placement mean that you *might* have two that can shoot enemies ahead of you. So the additional crew (human or npc) becomes not only necessary, but a hassle imo. I dont like the idea of handing over ALL my guns to 4 people just to fly the ship.

NecroKnight

Lieutenant
Dec 27, 2015
RSI Handle
NecroKnight
I like the tali honestly as it promotes teamwork in a culture that wants to solo in MMO's. Also, it is ideally a bomber with a huge torpedo package (though it can be modded for different mission goals). The key weapons are in the hands of the pilot. The turrets are there to support the pilot going in and dropping a huge payload and then safely getting out. It is not exactly meant to dogfight in.

Soven Taliesyn

Space Marshal
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
Soven-Taliesyn
I understand now. I still think that cutlass or freelancer would be your best bet for those. I don't really have enough experience with the connie to say one way or the other.

thanatos73

Space Marshal
Nov 21, 2014
RSI Handle
thanatos1973
I have flown all 3 (Connie, Freelancer, and Cutlass) and the one still in my hangar is the Cutlass, even after ALL the issues it has had, and the possibility of it getting rekt with the rework.

Forgot your password?