Industry Ships with Advanced Sensors Suite can detect minerals. UPDATED 10/13/19

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Been doing some pretty thorough testing. Seems that ships other than Prospectors can scan and detect minerals, so you can FPM them.

NOTE: Of the three ships that can detect resources, only the Prospector breaks it down into whether it is Ore or Minerals before you arrive at the resource.
It also seems to have a greater detection range.

Ships tested:

Aquila: Unable to detect resources
DUR: Unable to detect resources
Terrapin: Confirmed
315P: Unable to detect resources
Reliant Sen: Confirmed
Reclaimer:
Aurora ES: Unable to detect resources
Mustang Beta: Unable to detect resources

Ships yet in game:

Carrack:
Corsair:

Last edited:

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Was trying to test today, and for some reason the Aquila (manned by another Testie) and the 315P would not pick up the minerals on scans, but the Prospector still did. I know on the PTU when I tested, the 315P did work. So more testing needed.
Thanks for input Black Sunder, adding it to the list.

Continued with more testing: Aquila and 315P were unable to pick up minerals that I had found with other ships.
The Aquila scanning turret is not currently functional, so that may be the reason for it.
As for the 315P, I guess they do not want an inexpensive ship to be able to scan for minerals.

Though, the Sen is not exactly expensive.

Last edited:

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I've got Aquila's scanner from the pilot seat picking up a resource. Did it once while doing another mission, so never tried to re-confirm. Have you tried the Aquila's pilot scanner?

Chip Hazzard

Space Marshal
Jan 1, 2018
RSI Handle
ChipHazzard
I would have thought the Freelancer DUR and Aquila would pick up minerals etc, due to them being exploration and all.
Can see why the Reliant SEN can, as it is a science vessel.
I hope both the Carrack and Corsair can pick them up when they are out.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I've tried the Terrapin and compared to Aquila it appears to have a much shorter range, e.g. Aquila could pick stuff from 20 km away. I'll try to test to confirm or otherwise.

Reactions: Chip Hazzard

Reebourne

Space Marshal
Jul 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Reebourne
I wonder what the 315P will scan eventually, Would be handy if CIG gave us a few clues on the direction of scanning/Exploration

Reactions: Radegast74

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
I can confirn that the Terrapin can NOT tell you if any Harvestables are at a location.
I have not been able to find any using it.

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
There are "Surveyor" sensors, "Surveyor-lite" sensors, and Capstan radars (I include the Capstan, as they are in some "Pathfinder" ships).
So far for me, the only ships that have worked are equipped with the "Surveyor-lite" sensors.
Below is a listing of the ships with which sensors and how many of each:

Surveyor
AEGS_Reclaimer-1
AEGS_Retaliator-1
AEGS_Vanguard-2
AEGS_Vanguard_Harbinger-2
AEGS_Vanguard_Hoplite-2
AEGS_Vanguard_Sentinel-2
ANVL_Hurricane-1
DRAK_Caterpillar-3
DRAK_Cutlass_Black-3
MISC_Freelancer-2
MISC_Freelancer_DUR-2
MISC_Freelancer_MAX-2
MISC_Freelancer_MIS-2
MISC_Starfarer-4
MISC_Starfarer_Gemini-4
ORIG_600i-5
RSI_Constellation_Andromeda-1
RSI_Constellation_Aquila-1
RSI_Constellation_Phoenix-3

Surveyor-lite
AEGS_Reclaimer-1
ANVL_Terrapin-2
MISC_Prospector-1
MISC_Reliant_Sen-1

Capstan Radar
ANVL_Hawk-1
CNOU_Mustang_Alpha-1
CNOU_Mustang_Beta-1
DRAK_Herald-1
MISC_Reliant_Kore-1
ORIG_300i-1
ORIG_315p-1
RSI_Aurora_CL-1
RSI_Aurora_ES-1
RSI_Aurora_MR-1
XIAN_Scout-1

Perhaps with the latest update they fixed the Surveyor sensors so that they work correctly now.

Did a little testing today with the DUR, only thing I could pick up was a Bunker on my scans.

Last edited:

Tealwraith

Heresy detector
Donor
May 31, 2017
RSI Handle
Tealwraith
So, no special sensors for the F7C-R? That seems like a ripoff...

Zookajoe

Space Marshal
Donor
Nov 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Zookajoe
Tested the DUR and the Aquila, would not detect resources even after I pulled up to it and had it just off the nose of the ship. Jumped out, went over with Multi-tool and it confirmed it was Shale and mineable.

So, looks like only ships with Survey-Lite sensors is it for now.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
On the subject of Terrapin. It can detect resources: ore and minerals, just doesn't tell you what it is. It's only getting confusing when there is ore with minerals on it, otherwise it's pretty simple: a big chunk of rock - should be ore; a small stone or a group of stones - must be minerals.

Here's ore detected from Terrapin (tried to mine it with a grey cat multi tool):

ScreenShot4524.jpg

Here are minerals detected from Terrapin:

ScreenShot4527.jpg

SilveREvolver

Ensign
Sep 14, 2020
RSI Handle
SilveREvolver
I own a Freelancer DUR. I have been trying to find hand minable using it but no luck so far. What I have found are the large rock minables. When i scan i get the large boxes. If i get close enough it detects the rock and shows the icon. I suspect it may detect hand minables but is not showing an icon (have not found any hand minables yet however or boxes with out large rocks). When I get close to the large rock with the dur I can left click to scan the rock and get details.

Never mind... Just found a whole bunch of Hand minables on Daymar. 3rd moon I have tested. Looks like success with the Freelancer DUR.

Never mind... apparently these smaller rocks are not the large ones but are still not mineable by my hand held mining laser. I think they are meant for ROC or are crackable by the ship mining laser. The confusing part is they showed up with the diamond icon when I pinged. So im still looking. ...

Last edited:

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
With the new update I believer all ships can now detect mineables. Tested this with the Carrack: can detect ore from long distances, about 5km with x1 scanner, and about 15-20 km with x128 scanner. Ore comes with a large and very large box for a group of ore rocks. For the hand and ROC mineables (e.g. Hadanite) the box is much smaller, a small box for 1-2 rocks and alittle larger box for a group of rocks. Those hand mineables come most often if scanned at very low speeds, about 20-30 m/s and with x1 scanner. If I travel very slow, then I find hand mineables quite often.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Ooh! Cant wait to try this in my terrapin!!

Forgot your password?