Should I buy WH40k Darktide?

CRISS9000

Space Marshal
Jul 13, 2016
RSI Handle
criss9000
40k Darktide was released about a year ago to roaring criticism, and apparently the premium skins shop had recently bumped up the prices for stuff, but steam reviews and youtubes seem to like it now. There are still negative reviews on steam, but it seems for the most part that the consensus is that Darktide is good now.

It's currently available at a discounted price until the 18th (2 more days), with a price tag of 26$.

Buy or no buy?

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
While I know nothing about this game, I do know that you can probably watch people playing it on Twitch to get a better understanding of it to help you make your decision. I hope that this helps more than not.

Mastersan

Space Marshal
Aug 14, 2017
RSI Handle
Mastersan
I've played it before the major class skill tree rework and after it. It's good if you want some casual play. E.g. you want to spend 20 minutes and have lots of action while slashing and shooting hordes of enemies. On a medium difficulty mission you can face about 1,500 enemies, so it's really hordes. The characters in your team interact/talk with each other automatically, which creates immersion. Who interact with whom and in which way depends on character classes and their past, which you select when creating a character. You also have a voice chat. The skill tree rework didn't impact the gameplay too much, IMHO. Before the rework you had 5 times (on lvl 10, 15 etc. max lvl 30) when you can select one of 3 skills, total choice of 15, and you could change the selection at any time. After the rework you can still change the selection at any time, but now you've got long skill trees with branches and 30 skill points to spend. It gives you more choice and flexibility, and allowing you to max out a particular area (or build a balanced character if you want).

While this is Warhammer 40k setting, there are no Space Marines, you only have Astra Militarum: humans (sharpshooter, zealot, and psyker) and ogryns. You can specialize those into different playstyles via skill trees and selection of wargear (weapons). E.g. as a psyker you can cast "magic" and stay behind the team mates (since you are a "glass cannon") or you can get a sabre and a laspistol and be at the front and use no psyker skills if you build your character that way. As an ogryn you can also stay behind and shoot an e.g. grenade launcher, or build a bullgryn, grab a shield (armored bunker door) and a mace, and charge ahead.

The premium skins give you nothing, just aesthetics, plus you unlock some skins as you progress through the ranks.

The game had some bugs, when just released. For me in particular, it was a disconnect just after you join a battle. But this was fixed long ago.

For $26 it's not too bad. I think it was much more when not on special. So, if you like slash'em up games it's good fun.

• o7

Ltmifune

Captain
Nov 6, 2022
RSI Handle
ltmifune
Pay the $14 for the game pass and try it out. I like the game, but it is still a little lacking compared to Vermin Tide series. If you get in a good group it is awesome, but most of the time you group up with "runners" who don't stay with the group and it makes it hard to really enjoy the game. For me it's a pick up play whenever i just want to smash some ones head in as an Ogryn. Let me know if you get game, either way we can play together.

• o7
Forgot your password?