Should I upgrade the Titan to Skirmisher for free

What ship should I upgrade the Titan with?

• Reliant Kore

• 315p

• Reliant Skirmisher

• None, Keep the Titan

Results are only viewable after voting.

RedDevil

Space Marshal
Sep 4, 2015
RSI Handle
RedDevil9
I previously got the free 315p to Reliant Skirmisher Upgrade and Titan Module to Reliant Upgrade
and today got the Reliant to 315p Upgrade therefore I could upgrade my titan to Reliant > 315p > Skirmisher.

So I theoretically could upgrade to any of the 3 ships, should I upgrade the titan to one of these, are they better, if I was looking to keep a mini hauler surely getting a Reliant Kore would be better but if I wanted a mini fighter a skirmisher would be good. I do also have an upgrade to get a Reliant Researcher so would it be worth getting another Reliant variant.

What do you guys think?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
IMHO, the Reliant Tana is one of the most interesting ships in the game. It appears will function well with relatively small main engines and control thrusters, and will have a small radar cross section when folded for landing, so with Void Armor may be a wonderful stealth ship.

It has room for enhanced sensors, an EMP Generator and a second player. That combination can make it all manner of dangerous. If you can reserve a TANA now and get LTI, I suggest go for it.

There is a lot of misinformation about the Reliant on Youtube--most notably almost every review of the ship claims it is going to have about 30 cargo. That's obviously not true. Visual inspection says a little more than the Titan and about 1/3 that of the Cutlass, so around 10. It's not a cargo ship. Also it will not be fast, so don't plan to sprint away from trouble. You'll need the quantum drive for that. Also the guns suck, so it's not a fighter. However the missile racks are nice for running such a small reactor and if you don't try to fight with it you should be fine. It has the best visibility of any ship so far except perhaps the Khartu-al, but I recommend resist the urge to fight with it. Against fighters launch your missiles and run away, or pulse them with the EMP. OTOH, that magnificent visual field is just perfect for a stealth ship waiting for its prey.

Think of a Ghost Hornet with fewer and smaller guns, but carrying an EMP and a second player for boarding or long term excursions. Do not square off against a fighter with it unless you are a stunning pilot and perhaps can use the variable geometry for some surprising combat maneuvers. For those who want to be known for panache in their flying, it might just be the best ship in the universe.

FortuneBlack

Rear Admiral
Dec 26, 2015
RSI Handle
FortuneBlack
I'm in the same boat. I snagged about 5-7 of each of those CCUs when they were free. I upgraded my main game package from an Auroa LN to an avenger Titan, CCU'd to a reliant Kore for free then CCU'd that to a 315P for free. I know I want the 315P. I just like that ship and I can't quite put my finger on why.

Now I have a LTI Titan that can stay a Titan, or become a Kore or Tana and I don't know which one I want... I'm tempted to just make it a Tana (because I'm an American and more expensive is always better) but I also have a Buccaneer so I don't know that it'd get a ton of use.

I'd be interested to hear more thoughts on the subject myself. Does anyone have any insight on the modularity of the Tana? If I can pull all the extra crap out and use it as a mini hauler then it's a no brainer. If the entire hold is packed full of extra Tana stuff (whatever that would be) that can't be removed them I'd just have another fighter that lets me kill a passenger along with myself.

As far as LTI goes...it doesn't factor into my though process much. If I can melt something and get a package that has it then I will. If not...who cares.

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The differences between the Kore and Tana are still obscure. Certainly the ship compare notes are wrong, since they're saying the Kore can haul 30 and looking at the compartment shows the storage will never be the size of a Cutlass. The Tana comes with an upgraded reactor, a larger shield, internal 2X S1X5 missiles, and the wing tip turret is changed from utility (tractor) to weapons. It also comes with twice as many fixed mount weapons on the wing, but they both have the same number of mounting points so you can add 2 to the Kore if you like.

10 units is not much cargo. A Hornet 7C can carry more. If you want a cargo ship I would not recommend anything that small. The Cutlass is really the smallest cargo ship, and if you want to actually earn a living moving stuff, I suggest avoid anything smaller than a Freelancer.
The big question in my mind with the Tana is, how easily can you convert cargo space to equipment space? If you can install an EMP, enhanced sensor array and Void armor into the Tana, that little ship can be a real menace, especially working as part of a team.

Also just to note about the variable geometry, we don't really know until we can fly the thing, but the fact that the engines can lift the bird off vertically while it is balanced would suggest you can fly this way in space, which has the effect that the cockpit and weapons are all turned 90* from the main thrust. Anyone familiar with combat mechanics in things like Mechwarrior knows that this can be used for "orbiting" a target, which is probably the most effective short range brawler tactic.

Orbiting is basically to circle an opponent at maximum speed and minimum distance with your weapons trained on him. What this does is make you as a target move in and out of any weapon's horizon or available firing area in minimum time, so it is hard to even get a bead on your ship or Mech. It's of no use to do this in most fighters because without the ability to target at 90* from your flight path you can't shoot your opponent. To orbit with a fighter you need to have a turret, or in the case of the Reliant, actually turn the bulk of your ship to face target so you can use all of your fixed weapons (and everything else as well.) This makes maximum use of the minimum mount, and could enable the tiny Tana to take down large ships with very powerful turrets, like the Starfarer and Retaliator, without ever taking a hit.

And this is just one of the tactical possibilities opened up by the specific variable geometry of the Reliant. There are others. Definitely a ship worth learning about and flying, IIMHO.

Last edited:

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
Wow, wall of text incoming :eek:

I previously got the free 315p to Reliant Skirmisher Upgrade and Titan Module to Reliant Upgrade
and today got the Reliant to 315p Upgrade therefore I could upgrade my titan to Reliant > 315p > Skirmisher.

So I theoretically could upgrade to any of the 3 ships, should I upgrade the titan to one of these, are they better, if I was looking to keep a mini hauler surely getting a Reliant Kore would be better but if I wanted a mini fighter a skirmisher would be good. I do also have an upgrade to get a Reliant Researcher so would it be worth getting another Reliant variant.

What do you guys think?

I'll keep it SHORT :D

IT DEPENDS WHAT YOU ARE PLANNING TO DO!

Titan = small allround single-player-based fighter with capabilities as a small cargo hauler or weak dog fighter for the easier headhunting assignments
Reliant Skirmisher = is one of the more durable, smallest multi-player fighters with some small cargo space in it. Its made for fast supply or defending runs i.e. of outposts at borderlines to the non-mapped space or perhaps boarding actions or planetary combat.
315P = SP exploration ship, inbetween the Aurora and the Freelancer, but no/minor cargo capabilities and weak fighting ability; if you want to go into exploration, I would recommend to have a look onto the Reliant Sen or Freelancer DUR.

War Pig

Space Marshal
Dec 11, 2014
RSI Handle
ShinzoAnnigans
I suggest a Tana only because of it's limited nature prior to game launch. You can always grab a Titan from the store but having the Tana will give you at least (hopefully) first dibs on flying it once it's flight-ready. I own a Sen and hopefully variant owners will get a flight-ready Kore once it drops. That (and the eventual science mechanics) will then make me really consider if the Reliant is a worthy ship. Technically it's a starter and they're good to have since they will supposedly respawn much quicker than upper tier ships if destroyed.

In short, might as well grab a limited ship while it's available instead of staying attached to one that, to be honest, is a dime a dozen

FortuneBlack

Rear Admiral
Dec 26, 2015
RSI Handle
FortuneBlack
I ended up upgrading to the Tana. I'm assuming when it's flight ready it'll get more expensive so at the very minimum I can just upgrade to something else from the new price with only $50 into the ship.

Forgot your password?