Situational Awareness

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
So lots of us love the Lancer but hate that it has such a crumby field of view (FOV). Several birds have bad view angles, and this is not by mistake. Its actually a selling point that fighters have such a FOV, so CIG isn't going to "fix" the Lancer.

However. . .might we not see a special Head Mounted Display that like with the F35, allows one to see through the sides and floor of the craft? Could we see a component upgrade that gives birds with terrible view, a great view? It would be hard to explain why SC does not offer such tech when it is already on the battlefield. I know I'd want it for a Razor, given its terrible FOV below the horizon.

Ammorn

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
Ammorn
They have the rear view camera like a back up camera, they could have other angles for cargo or industrial ships to aid in landing or docking to a docking port. Then again that is/can be automated with autolanding or an autodocking system though cameras would help for when there isn't air traffic control with an automated system.

I think if they are going to implement docking with the docking ports/collars ship to ship like they have planed, then they'll need some sort of automated system like the autolanding system to link flight computers between ships to coordinate automated docking.

Reactions: Vavrik

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
So lots of us love the Lancer but hate that it has such a crumby field of view (FOV). Several birds have bad view angles, and this is not by mistake. Its actually a selling point that fighters have such a FOV, so CIG isn't going to "fix" the Lancer.

However. . .might we not see a special Head Mounted Display that like with the F35, allows one to see through the sides and floor of the craft? Could we see a component upgrade that gives birds with terrible view, a great view? It would be hard to explain why SC does not offer such tech when it is already on the battlefield. I know I'd want it for a Razor, given its terrible FOV below the horizon.
The issue with a heads up display or rearview cameras is that each different view needs to be fully rendered for each camera and has a heavy GPU cost. Its the same issue with things like landing cameras and rear view mirrors. In fact, mirrors, if they do work are often prerendered of the room then they superimpose a player's avatar over it after rendering the avatar in an empty room. Even racing games like Forza do not render everything in the rearview mirror, most notably effects, textures, and low LOD, at a much lower fps.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
It seems your "x-ray" view would be a bit outside the scope of the game at this point in time. Try flying in some of the ships before you knock viewing angles.

Reactions: Ammorn and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
The pilot has a scalable 3d radar on the cockpit of most ships, except the Prospector... It has the radar, just not in your field of view. It's a good idea to learn how that system works. Problem is you can skew it by accident. It has been quite a while since it was updated, but the thing works well if you understand how to read it.

I use it when arriving at PO all the time, because there are people who will sit just past the point where you appear after QT, and take potshots at you. Real brave. They're easy to defeat usually, but in a ship like the Prospector you're not going to see them at first. The other time to use it is when you're at an outpost, and there's someone who doesn't know how to read it in the area. They'll turn suddenly and their ship can slide right into you if you're not aware what they're doing.

Gr33nh0use

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 1, 2015
RSI Handle
Gr33nh0use
I love the idea, but I haven't read anything about it being implemented.

One thing I loved about the Kore is it's cockpit view, you can land on a dime with that ship. A wide, wide dime..

Forgot your password?