Some thoughts on the RSI Galaxy for $350

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Worst case, could CIG simply spawn different variants of a ship we think has 'modules', carrying over equipment we have applied, causing us to believe that a module (not ship) was swapped?

As for swaps being easy, I hope that is right but I'm not counting on that. Star Citizen seems to aim for realistic in other areas, and this easily could be another one of them.
responding again. I just wanted to say something if I haven't said it before.
@Sky Captain, you have asked some very interesting questions, this was not an exception! :o7:

Freak0

Grand Admiral
Donor
Aug 31, 2019
RSI Handle
Freako_0
Worst case, could CIG simply spawn different variants of a ship we think has 'modules', carrying over equipment we have applied, causing us to believe that a module (not ship) was swapped?
I think this could work with single module ships like the Galaxy. But the Endeavor, Retaliator, Carrack, etc would require many, many versions due to the number of potential module combinations. The caterpillar would be a nightmare.

Richard Bong

Space Marshal
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
McHale
Well the Q&A answered two questions.
You do need a shipyard (Cousin Crows) to swap modules.
You can travel empty, so you'll make several trips to move your base of operations, since this module won't fit in most ships.

Reactions: Bambooza and Vavrik

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
This is possible, but it is much easier from a programming perspective to change a property in the ship object model that says the module is A or B (and whatnot).

The module can even contain it's own inventory of other components if you do it that way, so for example if you change out a cargo module for a refinery module, it doesn't remove anything currently in the cargo module being swapped out. I doubt they would go that far though but they could, and have:
That's how backpacks work. Two identical backpacks are two instances of the same object, but they can have different contents. The content is saved with the backpack when you take it off, so when you put that backpack back on, it have the same inventory as when you stored it. It's' the easiest way, and also it keeps people from complaining.

I'm not saying they'll go that route, but that's how they SHOULD go.
Just to expand on this CIG with their object container streaming and now storage have made it easy on them selves in regards to both ship modularity as well as other ship parts like components. It's as simple as attaching the module to the ship object tree. I imagine it's also how they will leverage ships blowing up as it's as simple as disconnecting branches from each other and thus spawning them as new nodes in the parent tree.

Reactions: Vavrik

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I love the look of this ship, and I want to love the rest of it as well. I have to wonder if whether CIG had offered more than 3 modules they would have hit a home run with this. Suppose it also had available a tractor and salvage module you could cut and drag components like turrets off dead ships with, a hangar module for the first 2 bay whip, a scan module that offered cap scan and C&C ability, a vehicle and Titansuit module that offered both bunks and mech berths, a cap class electronic warfare suite, a top-firing torp launcher, a drone module, a mine laying module, etc. I imagine we could come up with several more. So why not put that level of intention into something that is paying the bills? You gotta know they'd make the money back on every module they built. Heck, they could farm out module design and build and just pay for what they like, knowing what they'd get in return. I think this should have been a step up. They could have sold this as "the next step in utility" instead of an also-ran.

It does however, remain one of the sexiest rides planned.

Last edited:

Freak0

Grand Admiral
Donor
Aug 31, 2019
RSI Handle
Freako_0
Something to consider. An Arrow will fit in a Carrack if the hangar is open. The hangar on the Galaxy is 2 stories tall. There is also a space for 2x 32 SCU containers in the hangar. I'm thinking that 2 Arrows will fit with their wings up nestled next to each other to save space.

Keep a rover in the main cargo-bay for those moments when you can't land too close to a target.

That could make a the cargo variant a very good all purpose ship for mission running.

Forgot your password?