SpaceX Catches Returning Superheavy Launch Booster

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
Reminds me of all the years I was arguing with NASA’s senior engineering staff who kept saying SpaceX will never be able to create reusable rockets. Well, you certainly can’t do hard stuff if you believe you can’t do hard stuff. Shout out: eat shit, Bill Carson; and all the other overpaid trolls who used to refuel the Space Shuttle, and acted like know-it-alls for over a decade, cursing Musk as he did what they said daily he could not possibly do.

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
It was amazing to see on the stream!
I didn't even know they were trying to do this, happened upon it by accident.
What's the benefit of doing it like this instead of "just" landing it? Is this a less risky way cos it can't fall over and such?

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
The idea is that eventually, SpaceX will be able to speed up reuse by placing Starship directly on top again. The refurbishing will be reduced to mere hours. Keep in mind Musk wants to launch Starships in the hundreds per year. So very quick turn around for the booster is a must.

Reactions: Lorddarthvik

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
It was amazing to see on the stream!
I didn't even know they were trying to do this, happened upon it by accident.
What's the benefit of doing it like this instead of "just" landing it? Is this a less risky way cos it can't fall over and such?
The engineering reason is weight. The Falcon 9 boosters have deployable legs, which are dead weight that need to be carried for the entire cycle and reduce potential payload. I imagine the legs needs for Superheavy would be huge. There may be other side benefits than looking incredibly cool :)

Edit: There is also the side benefit of holding it from the top with a much more stable structure, so yes, you are correct there!

Last edited:
  • o7
Reactions: Lorddarthvik
Forgot your password?