Speeding Ticket cleck tells me i may or may not have a warrant for my arrest

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos
Penalties need to be even harsher, people break the law freely when everything is a slap on the wrist. Those speeds are set in place from a scientific stand point based on avg human capability to drive and be aware, its to protect human lives. One person capability does not mean another can hold that standard so everyone needs to obey the standard based on the lowest capability otherwise you would have plenty of privileged issues.

Reactions: Duckforceone

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
so your saying they should be income based? How else will you make it mean the same to a rich person? $200 is a lot to most folks but nothing a rich person.

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
Penalties need to be even harsher, people break the law freely when everything is a slap on the wrist. Those speeds are set in place from a scientific stand point based on avg human capability to drive and be aware, its to protect human lives. One person capability does not mean another can hold that standard so everyone needs to obey the standard based on the lowest capability otherwise you would have plenty of privileged issues.
I've been saying for years that licenses should have tiers. I currently hold a CDL and drive a vehicle rated for 80,000lbs. Several years experience as well. I've already driven more miles in my career than most people drive in a lifetime. But I'm subject to the same laws as an idiot teenager fresh out of the license branch.

The world should not be judged by the lowest common denominator.

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Jesus, you get arrested in the US of A for unpaid speeding tickets?
In Canada they just charge you interest, and won't let you renew your registration until you pay the fines.

That's fucked man.
That is not normally how it is supposed to be handled :p

Reactions: Blind Owl

mromutt

Duck Army
Staff member
Oct 14, 2014
RSI Handle
mromutt
Go talk to the judge, in city court. You should have a court date and you can arrange a payment plan
Yeah i was going to say see the judge and contest it and explain the only reason its being contested is because cannot pay till payday, most judges will give an extension and payment plan or outright drop it if you have a good record

Griflet

Space Marshal
Aug 19, 2014
RSI Handle
Griflet
Jesus, you get arrested in the US of A for unpaid speeding tickets?
In Canada they just charge you interest, and won't let you renew your registration until you pay the fines.

That's fucked man.
Yeah bro, I got a speeding ticket down here in Texas and there was a warrant out for my arrest as well as the inability to renew anything. It's pretty crazy stuff.

Carlos Spicyweiner

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 14, 2015
RSI Handle
DMGunslinger
me too. but the clerk said I have till the 9th with the 3 days extension. I thought they could give you a 30 day extension instead of a 3 days one as well. Maybe it is just a stupid clerk. She did say she would put a note saying I would pay on the 14th. I even told said in the phone call "so I may or may not be arrested on the 10th thru the 13th". she said that it probably would not go a warrant but it could. I replied "so do I need to come in and talk to a judge?" She said "no". the level of incompetence is just astonishing to me and no wonder people end up in jail sitting out a traffic ticket. Think I will just drive extra careful for a few days.
Take it to court, plead guilty. Explain that's a weeks worth of groceries and ask if you can make 2 or 3 payments on it. Most of the time they drop it and charge you "court costs", which will probably be around 50 bucks for something like that. They don't want to put you in jail, and they don't want to drag out traffic court. Listen for the judge to say something like "before we get started, does anyone want to plead guilty and not have to wait around?", usually you don't even have to say anything(especially if you have a good driving record, and the judge will have your record right in front of him!). Good luck!

Ripcord33

Grand Admiral
May 2, 2016
RSI Handle
Ripcord03
I've been saying for years that licenses should have tiers. I currently hold a CDL and drive a vehicle rated for 80,000lbs. Several years experience as well. I've already driven more miles in my career than most people drive in a lifetime. But I'm subject to the same laws as an idiot teenager fresh out of the license branch.

Only thing i would say here as a professional Driver myself is that we are actually held to an even higher standard than anyone else on the road, even though we generally are the safest and most experienced drivers on the road. I mean, i pay around $75 a year to renew my CDL, but every other year i have to renew my HAZMAT which usually tosses in another 250 on top of that. I got screwed at the Chicago scales last month and they pegged me with a $1,000 ticket for being 100lbs over on my trailer axle. I mean, it was an easy fix, but a grand for 100lbs over on the trailer axles, I was only scaled in at 76k/

orac_zen

Space Marshal
Mar 16, 2016
RSI Handle
orak1
Yeah i was going to say see the judge and contest it and explain the only reason its being contested is because cannot pay till payday, most judges will give an extension and payment plan or outright drop it if you have a good record
What made me the maddest is that by the time I have the money to pay the ticket the fees to be able to do the defensive driving course go up! Like really your going to tax me on my fine because my payday is 5 days after the date my ticket fine is due.... WTF... it is just a money making scheme taxing the poor! I am seriously thinking about just letting it go to warrant then turning my self in and sitting in jail for a few weeks that way I don't pay a penny except some time getting free meals and a roof over my head!

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Yeah, move to Canada.
We're happy and easy going and very nice. And if you don't like society, drive an hour north, east or west (sometimes south if you're already north) of where you are and you'll be in the wilderness. It's the best.
Most people working in any government capacity know nothing about their jobs.
True fact. I work for the government and I have no fucking idea what I'm doing. And I deal with high explosives.
Just the military. ;) Reference my above statement. Ha

Thalstan

Space Marshal
Jun 5, 2016
RSI Handle
Thalstan
unfortunately, like most, you would benefit from an attorney, but can't afford to get one. (hence why a lot of people say the US has a two tiered justice system)
You might want to see if you can talk (well talk/go in) to someone from legal aid about setting up a payment plan or at least getting an extension. Probably be best to be prepared to show income levels/payment (payment stubs, tax returns, etc). Either that or see if you can talk to a court clerk about setting up a payment plan.

Here is the thing...right now, it PROBABLY won't impact your insurance too much. Get busted for driving on a suspended license and I suspect it will have much bigger impact on your insurance rates...much more than the $183 would

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
unfortunately, like most, you would benefit from an attorney, but can't afford to get one. (hence why a lot of people say the US has a two tiered justice system)
You might want to see if you can talk (well talk/go in) to someone from legal aid about setting up a payment plan or at least getting an extension. Probably be best to be prepared to show income levels/payment (payment stubs, tax returns, etc). Either that or see if you can talk to a court clerk about setting up a payment plan.

Here is the thing...right now, it PROBABLY won't impact your insurance too much. Get busted for driving on a suspended license and I suspect it will have much bigger impact on your insurance rates...much more than the $183 would
Speeding tickets increase insurance by a decent amount. It's not really that trivial. But a suspended license is MUCH more.

Forgot your password?