wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
While testing personal hangars in 3.24 PTU, I created few cozy hangar office spaces.

Instead of placing them in the corner of the hangar, like on CIG's videos, I used the entrance area (lobby) and non-functional loading zone. Both places have warm lighting, which is perfect for relaxation areas or briefing rooms.

The lobby has three strong lights between ASOP and Storage Access kiosks -- I didn't like them, so I put a few large storage containers to block the light. This way I created internal walls. I went further, and put a couple more walls here and there, to partially close the lobby.

"Container walls" have additional functionality: I use them as... storage containers, to keep various stuff like weapons, ordnance, armor, food and water, etc. This way, I don't need to run to the freight elevator every time I need something. Smaller containers can be used as office cabinets.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
StarCitizen 2024-07-30 16-51-26.png

StarCitizen 2024-08-06 01-55-04.png

StarCitizen 2024-07-30 16-49-42.png

StarCitizen 2024-07-30 17-59-09.png

StarCitizen 2024-07-30 20-49-28.png

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Damn, this is very impressive, especially with the current limited options you have to work with in game. The only thing that your setup seems to be missing, is its own Big Benny vending machine. Something that I will always regret missing out on due to financial issues at that time.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Limited Options indeed.
One of there days we will need pets too.
It's simply not the same if you tell the person strapped to that torture device that you do not actually expect them to talk if you are not petting a cat at the time.
I tried it with a Pico plushy but.. meeeh..
Oh yeah... an Aquarium! Full of Piranhas! That would be nice.
And if i'm feeling cruel.
A bar area. Fully stocked. With NON-alcoholic beverages...!
Mua-ha-ha-haaaaa...!

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Oh yeah... an Aquarium! Full of Piranhas! That would be nice.
And if i'm feeling cruel.
A bar area. Fully stocked. With NON-alcoholic beverages...!
Mua-ha-ha-haaaaa...!
When I was a young boy, my family had a large aquarium that had about a dozen or so pirana in it. Eventually we went on a family trip & my dad hired some teen boy to feed them these turkey legs each day, but when we got home, there was only 1 super fat pirana left alive. When he was confronted at the church the next week, he admitted to having gotten stoned before coming over to feed them & then ate the turkey legs himself. He said they looked fine, so he took the rest of the legs home & didn't come back. So the 1 survivor had eaten others to remain. When that 1 passed, my dad took it to a taxidermist to have it's skeleton framed in a clear case that he displayed on his desk. That was the only cool thing about my dad, so that's what I wanted when he died. Unfortunately, my "golden child" younger brother threw it in the trash instead.

As for the bar stocked with non-alcoholic beverages part, that would be fine with me as I don't drink alcohol for the most part. At most I'll have a shot with somebody to either celebrate something special for somebody or mourn the loss of somebody. This being said, I'm happy to help make drinks for those that do consume booze while watching over to help keep them safe. Cheers!

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
This probably falls under Man Cave rules.. but does she know you're this handy around the place? And which corner is the new Apache going in?
Absolutely, this is going to be my in-game man cave! The only thing I need is some large LED screen. And a bottle of whisky.

Damn, this is very impressive, especially with the current limited options you have to work with in game. The only thing that your setup seems to be missing, is its own Big Benny vending machine. Something that I will always regret missing out on due to financial issues at that time.
Oh, I'd love to put a vending machine there.. -- sadly, I don't have any... : /

By the way, a lot of old hangar flairs still cannot be used, as they can't be removed from the freight elevator. My decommissioned Tephra homing mine needs to wait a little longer.
You can keep some large torpedoes in the hangar though smirk

StarCitizen 2024-08-14 17-09-29.png

StarCitizen 2024-07-30 18-05-45.png

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
By the way, a lot of old hangar flairs still cannot be used, as they can't be removed from the freight elevator. My decommissioned Tephra homing mine needs to wait a little longer.
You can keep some large torpedoes in the hangar though smirk
Just a little suggestion for those that might also have this idea, it might not be the most wise idea to MacGuyver the "decommissioned" Tephra homing mine into the base of a glass table for people to play dominoes on, because sometimes "decommissioned" items aren't entirely made safe, and when people get excited while playing dominoes & slam those bones down, well ... boom? Though that would make for a hell of a conversation piece.

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Just a little suggestion for those that might also have this idea, it might not be the most wise idea to MacGuyver the "decommissioned" Tephra homing mine into the base of a glass table for people to play dominoes on, because sometimes "decommissioned" items aren't entirely made safe, and when people get excited while playing dominoes & slam those bones down, well ... boom? Though that would make for a hell of a conversation piece.
---- There's nothing to worry about. Everything is under control, Sir

StarCitizen 2024-07-31 00-06-16.png

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Glad to see personal hangars coming to fruition.

I'm thinking that personal hangars will be the tip of the iceberg too. If CIG's plan for procedurally-generated planets pans out, there may be plenty of 'open space' for player-owned starbases. Given that, my hunch is that player-owned 'base building' is the next great funding frontier (other than LTI NPC crew) that we'll see CIG experiment with. Imagine CIG selling 'deeds' for starbases that can be placed on planets, with higher-cost deeds allowing the construction of bigger bases. Then imagine CIG selling key starbase components (e.g., military outpost, cantina, med center, etc.) to build out each base. Then decoration components for sale on top of that. Is this what we'll have to look forward to in the pledge store? If so, starship pledges are just the beginning for monetization in this game.

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
Glad to see personal hangars coming to fruition.

I'm thinking that personal hangars will be the tip of the iceberg too. If CIG's plan for procedurally-generated planets pans out, there may be plenty of 'open space' for player-owned starbases. Given that, my hunch is that player-owned 'base building' is the next great funding frontier (other than LTI NPC crew) that we'll see CIG experiment with. Imagine CIG selling 'deeds' for starbases that can be placed on planets, with higher-cost deeds allowing the construction of bigger bases. Then imagine CIG selling key starbase components (e.g., military outpost, cantina, med center, etc.) to build out each base. Then decoration components for sale on top of that. Is this what we'll have to look forward to in the pledge store? If so, starship pledges are just the beginning for monetization in this game.
Um, land ownership is already an established thing in the lore of the Verse. They sold land claims when the Pioneer was being concept offered. The last CitizenCon, CIG showed off some ideas of how players would have tools & vehicles they could own to help construct these bases / outposts.

Sky Captain

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 13, 2018
RSI Handle
TheSkyCaptain
Um, land ownership is already an established thing in the lore of the Verse. They sold land claims when the Pioneer was being concept offered. The last CitizenCon, CIG showed off some ideas of how players would have tools & vehicles they could own to help construct these bases / outposts.
True, but CIG is not yet driving player-owned lot sales as a major next funding horizon in the store like they do ship sales yet, are they.

Here's the thing: With multiple procedurally rendered planets coming, Star Citizen will have a ton of land available for players to build on. Yet, so far, CIG has had only an extremely limited lot deed sales approach via the Pioneer sale. Lot sales via Pioneer sales to date are small compared to what is possible. Consider that CIG could sell lots of different sizes; lots suited to different terrains; space station command centers, med centers, artillery, lot decorations; lot-based NPCs, and more. Pioneer sales? Heh. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

CIG is now a large company with a huge appetite for revenue. Ship sales keeping the company afloat today with peter out eventually if they don't end on game release But sales of player-run starbase lots and components? CIG has not made promises not to sell that. And its a huge sales opportunity for them to replace their ship revenue stream after release. Wait and see.

Last edited:

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
When that 1 passed, my dad took it to a taxidermist to have it's skeleton framed in a clear case that he displayed on his desk
That my friend shows great sense and style.
This could only be topped if the Piranha was in a Baracuda thats inside a Shark.
But that would take a bigger table to display it on.
Curse your younger brother though.
How dare he..!!

Here's the thing: With multiple procedurally rendered planets coming, Star Citizen will have a ton of land available for players to build on. Yet, so far, CIG has had only an extremely limited lot deed sales approach via the Pioneer sale. Lot sales via Pioneer sales to date are small compared to what is possible.
I get where you're coming from.
And I wholeheartedly share your concerns over CIG's money-mindedness.
But in game only deeds on planets under human jurisdiction can be sold.
CIG might be inclined to fill the void in best "No man's sky" style, but the important systems will still be mostly handcrafted.
That's still enough room for bases, mind you. But not exactly infinit worlds in infinite directions.
Then again, we are still in Alpha. Maybe they kick out the Lore and simply re-roll Terra in a new engine..?
Naaaaw.... unlikely... even for CIG..
Or is it..?!
Anyway, the actual point is that IF CIG randomized planets then those planets are probably outside of human jurisdiction.
So finder's keeper's, right?

Talonsbane

Space Marshal
Donor
Jul 29, 2017
RSI Handle
Talonsbane
From the looks of it, I don't think that CIG is randomly creating planets. The "procedural generation" programs that they've been creating are supposed to be started with a set of various parameters that then use things to create the basics for each planet & moon, then the devs go in & add points of interest here & there. Which will still leave a massive amount of open areas that may or may not be viable for players to purchase plots of land on to build their bases, outposts & homesteads on.

Mudhawk

Rear Admiral
Donor
Oct 30, 2022
RSI Handle
Mudhawk
Well, logically speaking, if all the players in Star Citizen came together and build their homesteads on one average continent of one average Earth sized planet there would still be room to spare.
But since this is a game and the planets are a little down-scaled.
And since people are greedy and land-grabs always lead to murderballs.
And since people want the perfect rise with the perfect outlook on the perfect sunset...
Let's just say CIG will have their hands full with creating enough vistas for everyones desktop backround.
Still, for everyone living the Explorer's dream, the big question is: Will there ever be uncharted systems?
Will there ever be a wormhole to nowhere that ends somewhere new?
And how bloody will settling there become since the Empire holds no sway there?
Come to think of it...
I probably better stay in that Hangar and prune my potted plants.
It sounds way saver than going out there...:thump:

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
I am shocked. Is it not a transgression, nay; immoral ponderance to discuss “building bases” when so many exist already? Does it not speak to mankind’s most base instincts to multiply materialistic consumer goods when what we already have is so many bases being held temporarily for us to meekly take possession? Oddsbodkins! Think man of the sheer and utter waste you propose, and drama lost forthwith upon neglecting so great a calling as to take possession of what is rightfully (or wrongfully) ours already!

~Kill things, and take their treasure. . .

::urp::

wmk

Space Marshal
Staff member
Officer
Donor
Feb 19, 2018
RSI Handle
wmk
Where do you purchase the new decor items?
They can be purchased at Kel-To and Dumpers Depot, but I found them at Tammany and Sons in Lorville too.

We should be able to use our hangar flairs too, but not all of them have been updated yet -- some of them, like a giant decommissioned mine, have no mass set, therefore they cannot be lifted by any tractor beam tool.

Last edited:
Forgot your password?