Terrible Terrapin

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
If you purchased a terrapin expecting to have the firepower of a super hornet, the manoeuvrability of a sabre, the cargo space of a freelancer then I guess you were always in for a disappointment!

I think there are some really niche areas that this ship can fulfil.

* sitting on the underside of an asteroid with systems powered down waiting for that enemy org fleet to roll past, instruct test battle group 2 to stop drinking beer one jump away, jumps in to take the spoils.
* sitting on the edge of a space station powered down, scanning each Hull D/E that takes off to report back to test pirate battlegroup 1 - 5000SCU of fine ale? Yes sir.
Lone exploration, it looks to be awesome for this, power down your engines, hop in the scanning seat, see what's out there, hop back in the main seat, jump. When get back sell all data to test cartography section for overly inflated price = rich!

There's loads more.

etc

Just need to think outside the traditional dogfighting box. And I understand why the box is there and so big and thick and suffocating as dogfighting is all we've had for years. Soon(tm) we will have more!!!!

NapalmX

Space Marshal
May 16, 2014
RSI Handle
UpUrShaft
The ONLY disappointing aspect of the Terrapin (or the MFS Shelley) IMHO is the nerfing of the chin gun in Q&A #2. Everything else was pretty much spelled out in the concept ship page.
I won't be breaking windows and setting cars alight, but I am disappointed.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
The problem is turrets don't function as they should yet so they're effectively worthless. if it becomes a size 4 turret - that could mean we could rip the turret off and fit a s4 specialty mount, and a s3 fixed? Who knows.

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
I am actually looking forward to working my terrapin. The idea of sneaking into a area staying hidden and scanning for info is intriguing. This is one aspect if star citizen that can be quite lucrative, selling off intelligence and data for military, mining, scavenging and exploration that most people apparently don't want to do the footwork for. I think this can be a pretty profitable endeavor with this ship. Looking forward to checking it out. Its going to be a nice change from pew pew pew

Jul 6, 2014
RSI Handle
Salt_Lake
Weight my 2 cents on this.

The Terrapin seems to have 2 functions, military and civilian.

Military it seems to run quiet with the armor cracked open and the shields down, emitting a low heat/low sig. It takes cover from a distance and scans and finds enemy fleets. Once located it sends a message back to it's fleet about the location of said fleet. Now, if it is detected it will hopefully have enough time to lock its armor down and charge its shield, making your sig huge, and begin to run away. This demonstrates its weakness, if you have a bad scanner operator or a very good sneaky fighter, you can get wrecked. If a fighter gets up on you with your shields down and armor cracked you are easy pickings. It must use it's scanner as a defensive measure just as much as a way to find things, because once its found with its armor cracked its dinner.

For civilian explorers it seems to be something that you would take into hostile territories such as acidic atmospheres or galactic lightning storms or an asteroid field. It is meant to go into smaller wormholes and into more dangerous place to retrieve some rare data and then be able to make it back. This way you don't send your carrack but a smaller cheaper terrapin.

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
still sounds amazing to me.

Sure it sucks losing the option to at least be a tough hitter from a fixed front...

but being able to take hits on armor, when trying to hide and scan.... i will love that type of gameplay once i get to earn one in game.
I would rather avoid most dogfights anyways... :D

Liquor_and_ores

Space Marshal
Jun 22, 2014
RSI Handle
Liquor_and_Ores
When I first saw the ship and write up, the first thing I thought of it was that it was a step up from the Hornet Tracker.

Double scan package (top and bottom)
Heavy armor
long range

I can't say I will keep it til release, but if I was then I would use it as a scout ship for asteroid belts ( assuming it can scan for minerals and possible pirate bases in the belt)

Darkstar

Vice Admiral
Jul 6, 2016
RSI Handle
Lordcat_Darkstar
One of these by itself might not be much but many of these on a large battle field could have some kind of an impact. At least that's what I'm thinking. For me I'm planning on using mine to run some two man training missions to learn how to scan properly and get used to the ins and outs of wormholes. I would rather get a Terror pin blown up than a Connie. Also I will probably use it to find belts for mining opps since mining is gonna be my main thing.

NKato

Grand Admiral
Apr 25, 2014
RSI Handle
NKato
This is why I bought the CCU and did not apply it. I'm going to wait for other people to put out videos of the Terrapin's actual performance before I apply the CCU.

Dalarast

Space Marshal
Oct 29, 2014
RSI Handle
Dalarast
Still satisfied with the space turtle.... But hope they allow for that scanner area to be reduced for cargo or jump seats. It would remove the biggest benefit of the ship (scanning) but would open it up to other options. Having weakened offensive but that major defensive strengths makes one change their style of tactic. It's like the juggernaut....

Blind Owl

Hallucinogenic Owl
Donor
Nov 27, 2015
RSI Handle
BlindOwl
Still satisfied with the space turtle.... But hope they allow for that scanner area to be reduced for cargo or jump seats. It would remove the biggest benefit of the ship (scanning) but would open it up to other options. Having weakened offensive but that major defensive strengths makes one change their style of tactic. It's like the juggernaut....
I haven't read the Q&A. What's this talk about the guns on the ship?

Reactions: AstroSam

AstroSam

Barrista
Mar 8, 2016
RSI Handle
AstroSam
I yesterday have finished reading/watching the Terrapin Q&A. Again, there imho is no room for complaining about the price. CIG has set it - and the market decides whether if its worth it or not. But first buying her and then whining about, thats not the right way to go; first point.

Second point: it has now clearly been stated: the Terrapin is not another exploring vessel! Its not another DUR or Aquila for finding new planets, landing, collection stones and stuff and having a good time. Not at all, for this is almost 100% pure military operations.
Thus, quite the contrary - and, if I may point that out, as suggested by me before - the Terrapin is to understand like a space AWACS. It has a huge signature when using her scanning equipement, but it is the only one which has that scanning equipment. It is meant to fly on its own deep into space, always hidden, and FAR away from any other ship. Its purpose is to make deep space scans, to collect data about hidden space ports or size and structure of moving military/pirate fleets or simply collecting data.

Now, thinking ahead, was does this mean? It means, that the Terrapin is made to save lifes. You want to go on a pirate hunting mission OR a military intervention? Make sure to become the most transparent view of the operational area as well as possible opponents strenght and bases. You want to go for a fuel collection trip with a couple of Starfarers? Perhaps it would make sense to use a Terrapin first to make sure that this area does not contain a hidden surprise and your Starfarers are finally some pieces of chunk - or in the hands of pirates. Or finally, you want to go on a exploring mission? Perhaps it would be a good bonus to have a Terrapin within your exploring fleet for not to navigate into a nasty trap.

The Terrapin will have no storage room, she will be manouverable like a Javelin, will have no fighting abilities, will have not ejection seats or any kind of further comfort. But having this high potential scanners on board, the Terrapin is in and out before anyone has recognized her operations. If detected, the Terrapin can shut down her systems and cover herself which thick plates - which gives her the name - and being almost invisible for quite a time.

Now that I know what its all about with the Terrapin - I find her one of the most interesting ships regarding multiplayer-purposes.

Last edited:

hardroc77

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 27, 2015
RSI Handle
hardroc77
While you are clunking away at rocks or fighting for your survival, I will be basking on an exotic beach with a dozen lovely alien ladies enjoying my wealth.
Cosmo, I like your style!
The Terrapin will have its roll, and it will excel at it.

It is difficult to appreciate the true roll of a ship if you have not had the opportunity to play the game.

We are all comfortable with saying that the Super Hornet and Sabre are excellent fighters because that is the role they fill.

Nobody here has had the chance to properly use the Terrapin, so its usefulness will remain elusive, and those who buy it with hopes of it filling several other roles other than its intended roles will be disappointed.
Such wisdom. This is why you are Leader!

And a Glorious one.

Forgot your password?