• Total voters

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
I finished this book yesterday. Overall a great book, 5/5.

What are your thoughts of it?
What did you like/dislike about it?
Did you have a favorite part?

Reactions: Bruttle and Sraika

Lorddarthvik

Space Marshal
Donor
Feb 22, 2016
RSI Handle
Lorddarthvik
Short version as I hate writing on this phone. Will be home in a few days to write something proper.

Great book, 4.5/5
.5 deduction for the kinda confusing action sequences. Some of the abbreviations and such make it hard to make sense of sometimes, at least for me as a non-English speaker. Took many names in those (first,lastz and rank used randomly) also, hard to follow after a few beers.
Dislikes: the above + that the childhood friends are just written off as "they bought it at X" . I would have appreciated some more detail on them, but I can understand how this also gives a sense of scale and realism to the story.
Favorite parts: the idea of the political system that works. Flawed explanation but interesting. The lessons. The parts that were adopted for the movie. The basic training.

Sraika

Space Marshal
Nov 7, 2017
RSI Handle
Sraika
Alright, having finished the book, i can say that it was pretty decent. Definitely not one of my favourites, but rather well-written. The plot just... didn't quite click for me. There was quite a few interesting ideas in it, though, and i liked that they had some canadian stuff in as well :)

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
I liked it. There were quite a few interesting and thought provoking points. I wouldn't list it among my favorites though. Then again, I'm more of a junk food kind of guy when it comes to my books. I like books that read more like an action movie than a literary masterpiece. I think that's where my expectations played a major role. After seeing the movie, I was expecting the book to expand on the story. I wasn't expecting something completely different. I hate to say it, but this is one of the few times I would actually recommend the movie over the book.

Shadowscout

Space Marshal
Donor
Dec 31, 2015
RSI Handle
Shadowscout
I read this years back before the movie was even a thing and i'm glad I did. I like both but reading it again after seeing the movie it's a bit confusing in places, although it is fun linking the names in the book with the different characters in the film.
For the book tho I do think that parts of it should have been expanded as it often feels like chapters have been left out and the story has jumped ahead.
i try to avoid the politically related nuances in the same way I try and avoid thinking about that when reading Lord of the Rings.

Forgot your password?