TEST Book Club - March Selection

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
A very good turn out on yall's part! We have selected March's winner. Dont forget, you can always sign up with goodreads to stay current with what books we have read previously via the TEST book club found here.

March's selected book is Seveneves by Neal Stephenson!

A special thanks to @Vavrik for nominating this one.

Will see you all mid-March for next month's nominations!

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Progress update! Where are we at people? Are we enjoying it so far?

I am about 50% in, and its getting a little slow and I'm starting to lose interest. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Some reviewers are hard on the book for that, Stephenson is a scientist himself and seems to be pushing an agenda. Can you pick out his portrayal of Neil deGrasse Tyson? Anyway, the pain you feel now will grow, but it's a setup. Just before you commit suicide, the final 3rd of the book starts. It's quite an interesting use of the reader's emotion. You get to talk like that after you've read it once.

Printimus

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Dec 22, 2015
RSI Handle
Printimus
Some reviewers are hard on the book for that, Stephenson is a scientist himself and seems to be pushing an agenda. Can you pick out his portrayal of Neil deGrasse Tyson? Anyway, the pain you feel now will grow, but it's a setup. Just before you commit suicide, the final 3rd of the book starts. It's quite an interesting use of the reader's emotion. You get to talk like that after you've read it once.
I definately liked the scientific aspect, now it's getting political, not sure how the last third will go. I have picked up the Neil Degrasse Tyson persona.... lol

Reactions: Scape and Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
In the audiobook version he sounds a little like NDT as well. I don't think he was trying to be subtle with it.
I use audio books too. Amazing invention, for me they have been a lifesaver. If you are a member of some of the various book clubs, you can get audio books included in your subscription.

There is a review of Seveneves that showed up almost a year after I read it that captured a lot of how I felt about it. The source is a little surprising, kind of puts a human side to both the book's author (who doesn't like katchup...) and the review's author (who likes onions... and drives a fuggin nice car)

Scape

Space Marshal
Donor
Jan 2, 2019
RSI Handle
Scape_TEST
making my way through patiently, Not in Love with it.....the 3rd Act sounds promising. I may change up the Sci-fi angle next month too

Reactions: Printimus
Forgot your password?