RSI Handle
Pewbaca

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
It does look like an angry power ranger. But it also looks like the symbol of another Org, not for a Test Squadron division. There's a rule set at play in successful designs like this. The rule set is pretty simple, and it's called heraldry by the way. The purpose is to show the relationship between an organization, and it's subdivisions (originally, a knight and his male offspring)

But you have the seed of amazing Test Squadron heraldry there, buried in the versions. Just an example: Look for the one with the broadsword and ship. Lose the ship, and replace with the Test Squadron quarterly symbol... the yellow and black checks of the org. Make no other changes and what you have is a properly designed symbol. Any subdivisions of that new org, would incorporate that look, and add a change.

It's actually kind of fun to work that out, and it is an art form you can do with a ruler and protractor, or freehand.

EDIT - Look at the Rock Raiders logo for an almost perfect example. the Test Squadron logo under a gear, under crossed mining tools.
Test Squadron/Industry/Mining. Some of the members of Rock Raiders have it in their signature. See @Black Sunder's signature for example. Edit edit... @Black Sunder, I hope you don't mind.

Last edited:

Michael

Space Marshal
Sep 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Pewbaca
It does look like an angry power ranger. But it also looks like the symbol of another Org, not for a Test Squadron division. There's a rule set at play in successful designs like this. The rule set is pretty simple, and it's called heraldry by the way. The purpose is to show the relationship between an organization, and it's subdivisions (originally, a knight and his male offspring)

But you have the seed of amazing Test Squadron heraldry there, buried in the versions. Just an example: Look for the one with the broadsword and ship. Lose the ship, and replace with the Test Squadron quarterly symbol... the yellow and black checks of the org. Make no other changes and what you have is a properly designed symbol. Any subdivisions of that new org, would incorporate that look, and add a change.

It's actually kind of fun to work that out, and it is an art form you can do with a ruler and protractor, or freehand.

EDIT - Look at the Rock Raiders logo for an almost perfect example. the Test Squadron logo under a gear, under crossed mining tools.
Test Squadron/Industry/Mining. Some of the members of Rock Raiders have it in their signature. See @Black Sunder's signature for example. Edit edit... @Black Sunder, I hope you don't mind.
Ofc that's just ideas to start to play with. I think the rock raiders logo has developed very far from the currently known (to me) subdivision logos. Which are here https://testsquadron.com/threads/divisions-of-test-squadron.15044/
I for myself like the "orbits" idea as a variation of the standard logo.
There have beent several ideas I have been toying with:
The sword as a symbol of combat

Wings ( Wings of the sabre raven) for airborne combat or deployment

The helmets are just a variation of the bounty hunter and yellow jackets logo.
The orbits stand for space and conquering planetary system.

I think scapes stars have basically the same meaning attached to it.

I had other ideas with the black and yellow theme, which can be applied in different variations to all variants and would totally go beyond the scope of the initial ideas.

Reactions: Vavrik

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Ofc that's just ideas to start to play with. I think the rock raiders logo has developed very far from the currently known (to me) subdivision logos. Which are here https://testsquadron.com/threads/divisions-of-test-squadron.15044/
I for myself like the "orbits" idea as a variation of the standard logo.
There have beent several ideas I have been toying with:
The sword as a symbol of combat
Well I love the effort, and that sword, just so you know. I can't do that anymore, What I can do with art now is more like paint by numbers. But heraldry was a hobby for a long time. Also whatever I write, is just my opinion. Insert standard disclaimer here.

Reactions: Michael

O-Lefty

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Sep 12, 2016
RSI Handle
O-Lefty
I like the sword, and also the idea of some stars since it's the Star Marines. Always best to keep things simple. I'm also wondering if the TEST Checkered pattern made into a shield could work, with a sword on it, and stars above? Shield might be too different.

Don't worry too much about how the current division symbols look. Everything is subject to change, this is all just creative at this point in development.

Just some food for thought.

o7

Reactions: Michael
Forgot your password?