Thinking of making a switch

SoloFlyer

Grand Admiral
May 27, 2018
RSI Handle
housebroken
Is anyone who has had both cablevision and Verizon Fios able to comment on the difference in performance? I was taking a look at my cable bill because something I neglected to do for a while was cancel the TV portion since I never watch it. So I now just have the internet and phone with them. My internet package and phone with cablevision is for 100Mbps download speed, but I was looking at Verizon Fios and I could get the 1Gbps plan and phone for less than what I'm paying cablevision. At first glance it seems obvious, 10x the download speed for less money that's a no brainer, but I have seen people saying that latency is the important thing when it comes to gaming (all we do in the house is stream tv shows/movies and game). Would I have a lower latency with Fios than with cablevision in general?

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
Yeah, go ahead and dump cable if you can get a fiber connection to your house. Where I live, we have to wait another year due to ongoing construction.

• o7
Reactions: Talonsbane

Deroth

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 28, 2017
RSI Handle
Deroth1
I wish I could get Fios instead of Comcast where I live.

However, one of the largest impacts to latency that largely goes ignored is how many people in your neighborhood use the same service (you're technically on the same network, so if many people in your neighborhood use the same service, even if only for mundane things, they increase your latency.)

Reactions: Vavrik and Bambooza

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
Yeah, go ahead and dump cable if you can get a fiber connection to your house. Where I live, we have to wait another year due to ongoing construction.
At least its on the road map. Where I live its not even a consideration to put fiber in so I am just going to have to wait on Starlink.

Reactions: Vavrik and Deroth

Drykhan

Captain
Donor
Apr 29, 2019
RSI Handle
DryKhan
Is anyone who has had both cablevision and Verizon Fios able to comment on the difference in performance? I was taking a look at my cable bill because something I neglected to do for a while was cancel the TV portion since I never watch it. So I now just have the internet and phone with them. My internet package and phone with cablevision is for 100Mbps download speed, but I was looking at Verizon Fios and I could get the 1Gbps plan and phone for less than what I'm paying cablevision. At first glance it seems obvious, 10x the download speed for less money that's a no brainer, but I have seen people saying that latency is the important thing when it comes to gaming (all we do in the house is stream tv shows/movies and game). Would I have a lower latency with Fios than with cablevision in general?
i had verizon fios before in my area it was baugh out by Frontier both so far have served me well i would recommend getting fios

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
However, one of the largest impacts to latency that largely goes ignored is how many people in your neighborhood use the same service (you're technically on the same network, so if many people in your neighborhood use the same service, even if only for mundane things, they increase your latency.)
Yes, there are 3 things that need consideration, and network providers generally don't talk about anything more than the bandwidth.
Latency, and throughput are the other two - and without all 3, you actually have no idea what you're buying. There are more factors too but those are the three that define the network performance that users generally experience.

Reactions: Deroth
Forgot your password?