This one is for the fans of Star Trek

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
Alright, so here me out. My dad loves Star Trek. I too, like Star Trek. So my dad got me to start Star Trek Discovery and Piccard. Both good. Except there is one particular thing that upsets me about discovery but I will not go into due to spoilers.

ANYWAYS

While watching Star Trek Discovery, I started to question why The main characters always had to beam down or go to into dangerous situations to do something with such a big crew. Well I began to discuss it with my dad, because practically, it doesn't make sense if it were, keyword were, real life, to send the captain, FO, and your top dogs to run the ship down. SO I discuss it with my dad and he agreed, he said he always wondered why there was not a "expendable" ground team, full of Redshirts. Obviously we determined story telling wise it would be difficult and that it would have been to costly to cast a crew. Now don't get me wrong Star Trek is a great story and I am obviously just asking questions.

Then it hit me. I am and will always be a big fan of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis, and even, Stargate Universe, which had plenty of potential but truthfully was executed poorly. I would and still do this day watch the shows.

So why doesn't someone come in and pitch a new TV show spin off for Star Trek to show a different side of Star Fleet?

The show would follow a Security team that is in charge of first landings, securing area's, investigations, etc. Something Similar to an SG-1. It would be a more grounded Star Trek, but they would still be on the ship, but the bridge for example would be a very rare scene. Essentially the show would be from the perspective of the crew that is there, but never shown.

I just think it would be an excellent way to expand the universe, and continue it's story telling. Just wanted opinions. Thanks for your time!

Proximus

Commander
Oct 26, 2020
RSI Handle
Proximus
Star Trek Lower Decks touches on the idea of lower ranked officer shenanigans. Quite like your idea of an SG-1 type special ops team, a great way to see older timelines from a different perspective. I’m watching the latest series of Discovery and I find it entertaining enough but I can’t help think back to glory days of The Wrath of Khan and The Undiscovered Country... I must be getting old.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
Maybe that is the correct command model and we have got it wrong nowadays. There might be less wars in our political leaders had to put their own boots on the ground.

You got me thinking. I have read some books about explorers in the days of sail, including a contemporary account of Magellan's expedition to circumnavigate the world in 1519-1522. Having thought about your question, I realised that it was acceptable to lead from the front back then. In fact both Magellan and Captain Cook died on "away missions" Captain Cook died whilst trying to capture the King of Hawaii in 1799.
Then there was Francis Drake who was very Kirk like.

In other examples Kings/Queens and Pharaohs would lead their troops into battle. Less than 300 years ago English kings still led troops personally into battle.

NB. the first person that we know about to circumnavigate the world was one of Magellan's slaves who lived in what is now the Philippines. ( a happy a surprising part of the story)

Last edited:

Hero9012

Space Marshal
Dec 28, 2015
RSI Handle
Hero9012
Maybe that is the correct command model and we have got it wrong nowadays. There might be less wars in our political leaders had to put their own boots on the ground.

You got me thinking. I have read some books about explorers in the days of sail, including a contemporary account of Magellan's expedition to circumnavigate the world in 1519-1522. Having thought about your question, I realised that it was acceptable to lead from the front back then. In fact both Magellan and Captain Cook died on "away missions" Captain Cook died whilst trying to capture the King of Hawaii in 1799.
Then there was Francis Drake who was very Kirk like.

In other examples Kings/Queens and Pharaohs would lead their troops into battle. Less than 300 years ago English kings still led troops personally into battle.

NB. the first person that we know about to circumnavigate the world was one of Magellan's slaves who lived in what is now the Philippines. ( a happy a surprising part of the story)
I never thought about that. Which makes sense why Star Trek does that, but then again, Starships area little more sophisticated then back in the day. I feel like Star Fleet woulda been like. This captain cost a lot of money. He is staying on the ship.

Reactions: Rear_Intruder

Firebrand

Captain
Oct 13, 2020
RSI Handle
Qallus
I love Star Trek... but in the future they apprently lost the technology of 'fuses' (because stuff just keeps blowing up all of the bridge, urgh) and they're also forgotten the use and practicality of drones! Very little of it makes sense anymore, it's just a pew-pew adventure, like Star Wars (which I also love, lol). It's a non-sensical love-hate thing. Better off reading hardcore scifi literature, like Asimov, Clarke and Pohl!
😆
902ebc484de744bc2aa8110a00761e84.jpg

Thugari

Space Marshal
Mar 11, 2016
RSI Handle
Thugari
get him the book red shirts off amazon

Forgot your password?