[Thoughts] Fleet intelligence app / website

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
So due to my experience with running a command center in the real army, i have been thinking about what could be severely needed for this game.

If we are going to have alot of people online, and semi working together at times, it would be great to have an app or website we can use to coordinate stuff when we do things together.

In the real world, we just go into a room and build up stuff and comms, but here all of us only have the internet connecting us.

So i'm thinking an app or a website we can use as a command center would be great. But of course it would need alot of features.

Have a map you can draw on and place symbols
movable symbols you can add text to, and notes.
ability to pre-define things for planning
a mail client system, or just integrating a real mail system.

and alot more.

of course this command interface would need to be manned at all times by someone from our Intelligence division, to ensure that any intel our entire fleet finds, is distributed to the right people.
And to be able to set the different squadrons in contact with each other when they need it.
This is also an interface the fleet commanders can log into and use to get an overview of their moves and plan.

the way i see it working :

fighter squadron commander logs in, starts people grouping up in chat, and then reports into the Intelligence division, with who, where and what he plans on doing. He then request additional support from cargo, because he's going after juicy targets. Intel writes to the transport commander (who reported for duty earlier), and receives confirmation that they will join the fighter squadron. He then marks fighter and transport as working together in area Alfa.

Fleet commander logs in, and wants to know what the situation is. He can immediately see that he has 2 units (fighter and transport) up and running, and starts getting in contact with them and planning ahead.

So this is what i have been thinking...

anyone around that can make a website that could handle that?
or an app that works on tablets and mobiles?

Derkerter

Space Marshal
Feb 20, 2015
RSI Handle
Derkerter
Thatd be one hell of an undertaking, and it could be miss-used, though I figure there's a way to keep that from happening. There'd be a lot of systems to map out, and it'd need to be open for "soloists" and roamers to also update the map. To many users using it at once could cause an issue, so it may be a good idea to have "map rooms" where it is like a semi private room for stuff of dire importance and spec ops where they need instant info to post. Posting from mobile or I'd chat more about ideas and such.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
Thatd be one hell of an undertaking, and it could be miss-used, though I figure there's a way to keep that from happening. There'd be a lot of systems to map out, and it'd need to be open for "soloists" and roamers to also update the map. To many users using it at once could cause an issue, so it may be a good idea to have "map rooms" where it is like a semi private room for stuff of dire importance and spec ops where they need instant info to post. Posting from mobile or I'd chat more about ideas and such.
well that's easily solved.

you don't need hard mapping, as it's more the overall area. Like this squadron is in this solar system, doing operations in exploration.
also, only the Intelligence people have access to the map updates.
The rest of TEST, can then write in if they start up an official TEST squadron

reason to focus on active squadrons only, is to limit it to people actively engaging in TEST activities on the squadron level. The squadrons then have to either use a copy of the program to keep track of their members.

roamers can then send in intelligence to the people manning it, and they can fill it out
they can also request intelligence, and the people manning the map would let them know if anything is usable for them.

Han Burgundy

Space Marshal
Jan 15, 2016
RSI Handle
Han-Burgundy
I really like the idea of a living document that gives us a nice snapshot of the Org's activities. BUT: Test being Test, we'd definitely need a way to keep the junk data out of circulation. (Or else we would see endless jump points plotted on the sun or nearest space brewery) This could be an awesome basis for a sub-division of Testie explorers and traders that can map out resource rich areas, safe trade routes, and plot updated data about pirate/npc activity. Gotta be the first Org with an Aquila out there finding us PLANET TEST!

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
yeah, alot of the things needs to be sorted. That's what the intelligence section is for.

Also, things like jump points, can supposedly be shared directly with the entire fleet ingame... so that should remove that need.
Also, it would be up to each sub division to decide what kind of information they want to have around.
And then Intelligence would re-route the information to them as they can.

going to flesh out the idea a bit more, see what i can come up with.

Reactions: Blind Owl

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone

Grimbli

Space Marshal
Jan 27, 2016
RSI Handle
Grimbli
BUT: Test being Test, we'd definitely need a way to keep the junk data out of circulation. (Or else we would see endless jump points plotted on the sun or nearest space brewery)
Name ONE time we've done something like that! Ok, name TWENTY! Ok, point taken.

Takran

Admiral
Feb 8, 2016
RSI Handle
TakranG
Bump. As someone who is an "actual" analyst (i.e. that's what I'm paid for), and as an explorer, I think this is an excellent idea and I soiled my pants a bit while considering the possibilities. Especially as an explorer, with much of our time likely spent alone or working in small, locally coordinated exploration groups, being able to see an operational snapshot at any given time would be spectacular for mission planning, when you want to actually work toward an exploration goal and not just wander space randomly. Of course, there are many other examples of ways this could be useful, such as the one you gave. But I'm an explorer, so obviously that's all I care about. :P

That said, I am very much hoping that CIG comes up with comprehensive organization & fleet management systems in-game that might be able to control this kind of data-sharing in a more native, streamlined fashion. I could also see that being a huge developmental undertaking which might not be fully fleshed out until well after official release (assuming it's added at all, which isn't a given), so it'd be good to have an interim - possibly permanent - solution ready to go.

Duckforceone

Captain
Feb 25, 2016
RSI Handle
Duckforceone
Well i just came home after 8 days of 0600-2300 learning days. Learning to be a staff officer. And collect intelligence, and plan ahead, and generally run large operations at the battalion level.

So i have a ton of new stuff to implement to my idea, and alot more ideas to come out.

Watch this space.

Forgot your password?