Time for an Upgrade

Top Frogger

Admiral
Donor
Dec 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Praesul
Hey there TESTies,

So, after trying out the 3.3 PTU build I've realized that my frames are concurrent with how they were in 3.2 (pretty shite). Lots of hiccups and crashes/freezes. My GPU drivers are up to date and I deleted my USER folder.

I am not blaming the game anymore and am now turning my attention to my rig itself.

I'll leave my specs here so you guys can take a look and let me know what you think. I am software savvy but not hardware savvy, so bear with me here:

1. OS: Windows 8.1 x64bit (Need Windows 10)?
  2. GPU: NVIDIA GTX 960 (I'm happy with this for the time being)
  3. CPU: Intel i5-4670k @ 3.4gHz, 4 Cores (This has definitely got to go).
  4. Motherboard: Name and model unavailable, but manufacturer is Gigabyte Tech Co. (I'll have to take a look inside later on to get the model name and number).
  5. Installed RAM: 32GB Available Physical: 27.5GB Available Virtual: 31.3GB (Never too much RAM)
  6. Monitor: ASUS VG278Q 1080p 144hz
  7. Keyboard: Razor Black Widow Chroma
  8. Mouse: Steel Series Rival 100

If there's anything else very important that I left out, please let me know and I'll provide more information.

I'm trying to figure out what I need to replace/upgrade and what I can leave alone.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys 😛

Peace,

Top Frogger

Top Frogger

Admiral
Donor
Dec 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Praesul
An lack of an SSD is the biggest handicap your system has. It's basically required to run the game, a HDD is not nearly fast enough. We can help you get it setup if you can double check that your motherboard supports it.
Okay, I'll need to shut down momentarily so I can get my panel off and see what motherboard I've got. I'll let you know what I have momentarily.

Thanks for the help so far man, cheers.

Reactions: Stevetank

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ
Keepo what you got, overclock your CPU a bit and fit an SSD - you'll have good performance.

BUTUZ

Space Marshal
Donor
Apr 8, 2016
RSI Handle
BUTUZ

DarthMunkee

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 28, 2016
RSI Handle
DarthMunkee
Your MoBo will support an SSD as long as you have an open SATA plug on there and a power connector from your PSU. As for setting it up, if you don't want to set it up with your OS then just plug it in and format it to NTFS and start installing stuff to it. Just don't cheap out on the SSD, some of the bargain ones can be slower than some HDD out there. Stick with someone you recognize, Samsung, SanDisk, Corsair, etc... and you should be fine.

Top Frogger

Admiral
Donor
Dec 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Praesul
Your MoBo will support an SSD as long as you have an open SATA plug on there and a power connector from your PSU. As for setting it up, if you don't want to set it up with your OS then just plug it in and format it to NTFS and start installing stuff to it. Just don't cheap out on the SSD, some of the bargain ones can be slower than some HDD out there. Stick with someone you recognize, Samsung, SanDisk, Corsair, etc... and you should be fine.
Thanks for the info man!! After I get off work I'll have to take a look and see if I have the open SATA and my PSU should have a couple spare connectors.

I don't plan to put my OS on it cause I'm too lazy, lel

So will I be able to keep my HDD while also having an SSD? Cause I'll probably get a 500GB Samsung just for SC and a few other programs.

Forgot your password?