Timing

Binz

Commander
Jun 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Binz
Hi all,
I'm fairly new but I've noticed we tend to discuss and organise happenings in various local times - I see PST, CET and GMT a lot.
Although time conversion is only a google away this doesn't seem the ideal was for a large timezone-diverse group to make plans, especially as most of us are drunk.
I think it would be wise if we use a standard time for organising meetings and events to help members tell time 'at a glance'.

My recommendation here would be UTC - as everyone knows their time relative to UTC. Anyone who has come from eve online might also know it as 'Eve-time', which was really handy.

I also motion that we refer to UTC as 'the Universe Test Clock' moving forward.

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: Maxgerber5250

CosmicTrader

Space Marshal
Officer
Donor
Oct 30, 2015
RSI Handle
CosmicTrader
My recommendation here would be UTC
No, please. UTC is confusing as it hardly ever follows different countries summer times(daylight savings, etc).
People know by now what their time is in relation to EST, PST GMT EU etc.

NO!!!!!
CIG keeps listing UTC for AtV and other broadcasts and people keep missing them.

Reactions: 188Octane

Binz

Commander
Jun 1, 2016
RSI Handle
Binz
People know by now what their time is in relation to EST, PST GMT EU etc.
Yes, please. UTC is useful because it has no summertime adjustment.
For example, GMT's relationship to other timezones changes depending on the time of year. This year GMT rolls back on 30th October whereas US and Canada the 6th November - so it is not always possible to trust +/- 8 hours and some countries have no DST.
People know by now what their time is in relation to UTC (and they'll know to adjust when their local TZ changes.)

YES!!!!1!!one!

The alternative would be to actually use and link to the event pages which will display the time in the users local TZ...
Either way, posting localised timezones is a ballache - people have to google the difference and they're still just as likely to miss it.

If we do permit on a free for all, I'm going to have to insist on posting all times in IST moving forward...

Kortheous

Space Marshal
Jun 13, 2015
RSI Handle
kortheous
This is a good topic to discuss as it looks like EST is what is normally used. Maybe putting a clock on the website would be useful.

Reactions: Binz

Maxgerber5250

Grand Admiral
Apr 2, 2015
RSI Handle
Capt-Spicer
Hi all,
I'm fairly new but I've noticed we tend to discuss and organise happenings in various local times - I see PST, CET and GMT a lot.
Although time conversion is only a google away this doesn't seem the ideal was for a large timezone-diverse group to make plans, especially as most of us are drunk.
I think it would be wise if we use a standard time for organising meetings and events to help members tell time 'at a glance'.

My recommendation here would be UTC - as everyone knows their time relative to UTC. Anyone who has come from eve online might also know it as 'Eve-time', which was really handy.

I also motion that we refer to UTC as 'the Universe Test Clock' moving forward.

Thanks for reading!
Yes and we all should get a clock or set watch or phone to this time.ez

Forgot your password?