Exploration Travel effort within the galaxy

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
In an effort to understand how existing space travel mechanics will 'feel' when our playground expands, I did some rough calculations. The ARK Starmap lists distances in AU, so the first factoid required was the SC value of 1 astronomical unit. For that, I reached out to the humble fountain of knowledge that is @grafton -

"Question for your most extensive reference abilities; what is the value that SC uses for 1 Astronomical Unit?"

His response was the usual well referenced reply, of which I'll share the opening line "to the best of my knowledge, CIG have never given the number. However, they have stated .." and he goes on to address what he could find on the topic.

Lacking a solid reference then, I pulled out the scientific calculator.. somewhat dusty, and of course solar powered for solar system calculations.

Did some math based around distances in the PU, travel times, the Ark Starmap, and a bit of interpretation. 1 AU in game seems to be 1/10 of 1 AU in real life, about 1495980 km. Using the distance from Crusader to the Stanton sun, it comes close to that number.. I don't think the Starmap values are precise enough to be spot on. I may dig into this further but am satisfied for the moment.

So theoretically, the 48.06 AU distance from Port Olisar to Earth (ref Starmap) is 718,967,988 km. Flying the route in a FL Max w/Odyssey QT (10.9 QF/Gm) would require ~7836 QF, cost 512.8 uec (fuel cost at HUR-L1) and take just under 97 minutes of flight (play) time based on current game specs. As the Max holds 2500 QF, that also means at least 3 stops along the way.

This was a theoretical, back-of-envelope exercise to get a better grasp of the size of the 'verse, especially related to QT values and moving stuff around. Precise details were not required and will likely change anyway as we get closer to Beta.

tl;dr - moving around the galaxy is going to be an involved process. Not difficult imo, but time consuming.

Rear_Intruder

Space Marshal
Donor
Jun 9, 2017
RSI Handle
Rear_Intruder
How far/long it takes to travel is important but if we worry about travel times being too long then why do we want a game with a huge play area. What really matters is how long it is between fun playable events or places. If you can happily spend 10,20,30 hours playing around Port O/Grim Hex/SPK then the 15 minute trip to the next area of interest does not seem too bad as it is worth the journey. If every play session involves two or three 15 minute boring flights then I will probably give up. Lets see what the devs come up with. I went to Sag A in Elite dangerous just after it launched and it was not worth the effort.

Bambooza

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 25, 2017
RSI Handle
MrBambooza
How far/long it takes to travel is important but if we worry about travel times being too long then why do we want a game with a huge play area. What really matters is how long it is between fun playable events or places. If you can happily spend 10,20,30 hours playing around Port O/Grim Hex/SPK then the 15 minute trip to the next area of interest does not seem too bad as it is worth the journey. If every play session involves two or three 15 minute boring flights then I will probably give up. Lets see what the devs come up with. I went to Sag A in Elite dangerous just after it launched and it was not worth the effort.

This!!!!

Reactions: vahadar and Deroth

Ayeteeone

Space Marshal
Donor
Oct 22, 2018
RSI Handle
Ayeteeone
Yep and in 3.8 they changed the speed of QT travel, so fully expect the amount of time to change as the game starts to get flushed out.
Agreed. While the safe bet is to expect more adjustment and 'balancing', given the effort that has been put into the system already it seemed an interesting exercise to undertake.

I'm not taking a judgement position. Each of us, probably in each play session, will have different levels of tolerance to the perceived boredom of QT. The point of this was to relate a reasonable in-game goal (such as deliver a high value shipment across several systems) to effort involved by the player.

Some people want to drive truck, some want to mash their X-stationboxythingy. I'll be over there, pulling information together.

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
...tl;dr - moving around the galaxy is going to be an involved process. Not difficult imo, but time consuming.
procedural generation of systems will create far-flung, random concentrations of valuable materials for explorers to find and intrepid entrepreneurs to exploit

the most efficient way to do that will be to have alt accounts at remote locations

the rich IRL will get richer in the PU

• Wut
Reactions: Deroth
Forgot your password?