Understanding the Weapons Table

Shadow Reaper

Space Marshal
Jun 3, 2016
RSI Handle
Shadow Reaper
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nU2Ten4SWLfPrB92PsuJ2xNEevBDc5Rkqr7jsusGUAE/edit#gid=278523881

I'm still trying to understand what I see and in particular what "Power Limited DPS" means. I am not certain but it appears something like the following.

It appears most weapons have a power "pool" or energy reserve like a large capacitor, that stores power so it can fire in bursts, and when that pool is exhausted it then fires at a lower rate, until one stops firing for sufficient time that the pool or reserve is refilled. The stats that reflect this possibility are easily seen in the Joker Sucker Punch Distortion Cannon, which fires twice per second in burst mode for 2.8 seconds, which is just 6 shots (see "Shots to Drain" in the Power section). Then it appears it will fire at the much slower rate until one stops firing for 9.I seconds so the pool can recharge.

If this is the correct interpretation of the chart, this should be very easy to verify. Just mount some weapons that have this large difference between DPS and Power Limited DPS as demonstrated by a very large difference in their rates of fire. It appears this very important system function is best identified in the first two stat columns reading from the left, "Rate of Fire" and "Power Limited Rate of Fire". The difference is not so much for the 3MA as the Jokers, but those who shoot 3MA's ought to know whether it fires faster for the first I4.3 seconds and then fires more slowly. With a pool drain time so long, most pilots would not drain that pool, but most would have stumbled into the slower fire rate at least once.

So what do the pilots say?

There are many reasons we should all understand this chart and the implications. For instance, with the option to add components to our ships, the idea of increasing the pool for any weapon can be uninteresting to exceedingly important depending upon the guns you shoot. Panthers do almost twice as much damage when not power limited by firing at almost twice the rate, but they take I0 seconds to deplete their pool (if this interpretation is correct) so you do not need to add to your pool to make Panther's effective. You just need to leave off the trigger when possible. OTOH, if what you want is to deliver 4-5 seconds of fast, disabling distortion damage with the Jokers, then it seems you need to somehow add to its pool. Failing that, you need to plan ahead to fly onto a target for short bursts and then circle defensively before your cannons can fire at 4X the rate once more.

Montoya

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 31, 2013
RSI Handle
Montoya
There are overheating and power issues which should be factored in, so yes!

My favorite ship, the Glaive, has awesome S5 plasma cannons, but those things overheat after 6 shots and need a cool down period.

Looking at that table, it says 30dps but heat limited to 19dps which makes sense.

Forgot your password?