[Video] Atlas is proving to be extremely popular here at TEST

yasoing

Ensign
Jan 3, 2019
RSI Handle
yasoing
It's just like star citizen hater community, they review it negatively because they think its reskin of ark. I mean who cares if it is ? there is a completely diffirent gameplay AND MOST IMPORTANTLY where everyone fails to see that '' ITS MMO '' yeah. Goddammit its mmo you have 40k players in one world whats more important ? imagine they making the goddamn skin diffirent but no players in it who would play it then ?
It's a good game as long as they allow us to play with huge number of players so we can socially interact with them and do stuff.

Reactions: Xist and Bambooza

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
It's just like star citizen hater community, they review it negatively because they think its reskin of ark. I mean who cares if it is ? there is a completely diffirent gameplay AND MOST IMPORTANTLY where everyone fails to see that '' ITS MMO '' yeah. Goddammit its mmo you have 40k players in one world whats more important ? imagine they making the goddamn skin diffirent but no players in it who would play it then ?
It's a good game as long as they allow us to play with huge number of players so we can socially interact with them and do stuff.
I would like see some confirmation that it does in fact have forty thousand players in one world, because I have seen numerous arguments to the contrary stating it has no more than 150 players playing together.

Just on the face of it, 40k players? Really?

If anything, it's a semantic gimmick like the N64 not really being 64 but actually two 32's tied together.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
I would like see some confirmation that it does in fact have forty thousand players in one world, because I have seen numerous arguments to the contrary stating it has no more than 150 players playing together.

Just on the face of it, 40k players? Really?

If anything, it's a semantic gimmick like the N64 not really being 64 but actually two 32's tied together.
It's one big world. You can travel around the entire thing.

Each section/area of the world is limited to roughly 150 players at a time though, so you won't see 5000 v 5000 battles.

But yes, all players live in the same world and you can sail around to any area if you have enough time and determination to do so.

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
So it's the same as Ark after cross server migrations became possible, but instead of going to an obelisk to jump to another server, you just sail from one server into another.

That's a semantic gimmick. 150 players/server * 266.66 servers = 40,000 players. Hell, why not just up it to 6666.66 servers, then you can say it's got a millions players!

I'm sure the game is going to end up fine, but I can do without people saying it is something that it isn't.

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
im aware that ark is out of early access, and although atlas is very similar, it is not the exact same game. Ask anyone that is still playing it currently.
Even the fans admit that Atlas is an Ark mod. It is a mod built on the Ark foundation. There is way too much appearance of deception for me to give them the benefit of the doubt on this one. They tried to pull a fast one and got caught.

Here's when the first red flag should have gone up. You're watching a trailer for a game made by the people who made Ark, and it doesn't say, "From the creators of Ark."

Here's your second warning, they started it under the studio that made Ark, as a mod for Ark, then decided to make it a standalone game, and moved it to a newly created studio with a different name.

Third warning, the community finds out that Atlas was a mod that got spun off as it's own game, not from the people who marketed and sold it, but from a player who discovered a hidden menu the developers forgot to get rid of.

Qui bono, right? Definitely not the season pass holders who should have gotten Atlas for free. Nah, I'm not gonna look the other way on that one because of a simple, "but it's a fun game."

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
@ShakyWater I didn't experience any of the deception you mentioned. It was totally obvious from the start this was a spin-off of Ark.

Completely and totally obvious.

Next, they removed dinos which is like the thing that makes Ark... Ark.

No need for pitch forks here, carry on.

Xist

Staff member
Officer
Donor
Jan 16, 2016
RSI Handle
Xist
@ShakyWater the point you made about the people who bought the Ark season pass is an interesting one. Several friends for whom I have a lot of respect mentioned the same thing.

That may be a legitimate gripe, but I can see it from both perspectives. The game is definitely different enough to not be considered Ark.

Consider that Squadron 42 is literally the exact same engine as Star Citizen, and yet you have to buy it separate.

Atlas seems along those same lines to me, but again I can see the other side if the issue as well.

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
@ShakyWater the point you made about the people who bought the Ark season pass is an interesting one. Several friends for whom I have a lot of respect mentioned the same thing.

That may be a legitimate gripe, but I can see it from both perspectives. The game is definitely different enough to not be considered Ark.

Consider that Squadron 42 is literally the exact same engine as Star Citizen, and yet you have to buy it separate.

Atlas seems along those same lines to me, but again I can see the other side if the issue as well.
Not all of us had to buy S42 separate, and CR doesn't have a special subscription that unlocks all future chapers of S42. I don't want to get lost in the weeds trying to make analogies between the two.

I never heard of Atlas until everyone was talking about it on the day 3.4 came out. I watched the trailer not knowing what it was, and my reaction was, "Ark meets Sea of Thieves." I've watched some gameplay videos by slpg8tr or whatever his name is. It looks like it might be fun.

I don't have a dog in the fight. Don't own Atlas and haven't played Ark in a long time. Just speaking from an outside perspective, it looks like they missed the mark for transparency. Maybe they came down with a case of the CR and didn't think before they acted. Or maybe they knew what they were doing.

Reactions: Xist

ShakyWater

Vice Admiral
Jan 4, 2017
RSI Handle
shakywater
When you hit the ghost pirates, the sound they make is strangely similar to the sound a parasaur makes when hit. Weird coincidence.

Reactions: Bambooza

hi100040

Captain
Jan 11, 2018
RSI Handle
CMDRDazlarus
I am playing on NA PvE server with my partner and I have to say that after a week I am still absolutely loving the game and with some of the future plans they discussed on the dev livestream yesterday I don't think I will be stopping much until SQ42 comes out. I am located out in F9 on the northern island out of the 2 if anyone wants to stop by (I am Dazlarus Availis, Company of Relie Fray). I noticed a TEST claim nearby that no one is using in the area as well.

My main base is located in a neutral claim in E9 on Fairby Island which has a fully kitted workshop set to public that anyone can use if they are just starting out. Fairby is occupied by great people and is relatively safe besides the occasional Giant Snake, Tiger or Croc but all are kept in check by the massive herds of Elephants and Giraffe. Fairby has metal, crystal, and sugar so any noob can easily prepare for the more dangerous areas.

Reactions: O-Lefty

DontTouchMyHoHos

Space Marshal
Apr 4, 2015
RSI Handle
DontTouchMyHoHos

The difference here is marketing, Squadron 42 is known to be a single player game seperate from SC, ATLAS was marketed as a new game and they lied about that. They took a DLC and made some small tweaks and marketed it as a full game. People found out and where pissed that they were being sold something that was supposed to be DLC. The server sizes etc to is deceptive marketing practices to those who dont know how it really works. Its manipulative practices like EA does when they tell you loot boxes are supposed to give you, " a sense of pride and accomplishment."

Reactions: Bambooza

hi100040

Captain
Jan 11, 2018
RSI Handle
CMDRDazlarus
@ShakyWater I find your arguments unconvincing about Atlas being an ARK mod. It might have started as one but there are a lot more differences between ARK and Atlas in both content and gameplay than Black Ops 3 and 4 do and I don't think you could find anyone arguing in good faith that BlOps3 and 4 are "essentially the same game". The reason I use Black Ops as my example is that it is the same team making a followup game that builds on the previous game. I fully expect SQ42 episode 1 and 2 to both use the same engine, tools, and teams to make both games. It wouldn't matter if CIG (publisher) opened up another studio and moved episode 1 people from Foundry 42 (for sake of argument we will say that they are the primary team for SQ42 episode 1 even though this is not entirely accurate) to a new Studio 42 to work on episode 2 and that was displayed on a splash screen instead of Foundry 42.

Let's take this 1 further and say that CIG decides that after Star Citizen and all of the SQ42 games have been released that CIG sells early access to their new game "Yavindara" which uses all of the technology and tools that they used to make their previous games but instead of it took place across entire star systems that it takes place on a single planet and it is a 4 person co-op adventure/city building game instead of an MMO. Since this has no relation to Star Citizen, CIG decides that the team working on this game is going to be called "Ya-V-Soft" and pulls staff from existing teams to create this new studio. This new game claims to be developed by Ya-V-Soft, not Foundry 42. Is this a new game or DLC for Star Citizen/SQ42?

Forgot your password?