[VIDEO] - How to Mine in Star Citizen (Feedback Requested)

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Hi Everybody,

I'm trying to expand my YouTube channel beyond just creating gameplay videos with whoever happens to be on Discord engaging in random conversation. While those are fun and I plan to keep doing them, I've made my first "How To" for Star Citizen. This is a bit of a new area for me and honestly I feel like I have cotton in my mouth when I try to narrate the recorded footage. Anyway, let me know what you all think. Is this video any good, is it trash, where can I do better... oh and what about the thumbnail?

Last edited:

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
So from watching the video here is my feedback:

Pros
  • Voice was clean and came across nice
  • Showed the general mining ideas and how to do it
  • Gave a good overall feel for mining as a whole
Cons
  • Should of at least showed asteroid mining, while essentially the same concept, it gives a wider picture
  • Never talked about having your landing gear down on a planet while hovering conserves your fuel a great deal more especially in gravity dense moons like Daymar (I just found this out myself recently)
I won't write it as a con but mining out of Lorville can be a time sink due to atmospheric entry/exit and the distance to terminals to sell. Far more efficient to mine out of somewhere like Crusader and get Bexalite, Taranite and Borase and sell at PO

Overall I enjoyed the video

Last edited:

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
So from watching the video here is my feedback:

Overall I enjoyed the video
Thank you! What's funny is I didn't even think of flying around a planet with the landing gear down! I'm going to have to try that on my next run. Yeah I was focused on the mechanics of mining, but should have also talked about the convinience of where you mine. I definitely appreciate the feedback, I'm going to make another how to mine after 3.5 releases whether there are any changes or not, just to try to do better. Maybe rather than focus on one location I should do a moon and an asteroid field.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
3.5 brings in new mining opportunities and, from the look of Wala at least, new mining minerals. We will see if the value of said new minerals on those planets will be worth the transit to ArcCorp or not and how the gravity on the moon is. I'm mostly excited for these 2 new moons, ArcCorp is cool but industry side of SC is where I make money so that excites me more

Reactions: Scape

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
I like the video, it's a good and pretty concise example of how to mine, and the commentary is clear.

@Thraesh has a point about the speed to fly, but I'm not sure it's all that important unless you're going to actually come back to mine more. Also, on moons near Hurston is one thing, minerals are pretty evenly spread out, but around Crusader, they're harder to find, so mining in the twilight might not be advantageous.

But, yeah good video! There are a lot of trashy ones out there, this wasn't one.

Reactions: Scape and Thraesh

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris
Thanks @Vavrik I appreciate it.

I'm used to seeing what my kids watch and just feel like I have no personality. Is there really an adult audience out there. haha

Slacker

Commander
Mar 5, 2019
RSI Handle
Slako
Liked your voice and graphics. new sub here Ill be checking out your other stuff.

For the mining experts help me out on the scanning mode are you supposed to time the release of the scan to maximize results meaning if I hold trigger to long and it sits at 100% to I lose scan ? if I release t 50% do I get a weaker scan ? reminds me of the old golfing games where the scan % was the power of the stroke ??
Also my scanning is really problematic. I can scan an area several times with no results. then get some later. or even on the 3rd or 4th scan ?? is this my error or just the state of the scanning dev status ? Cheers

Reactions: Vavrik and Scape

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
Liked your voice and graphics. new sub here Ill be checking out your other stuff.

For the mining experts help me out on the scanning mode are you supposed to time the release of the scan to maximize results meaning if I hold trigger to long and it sits at 100% to I lose scan ? if I release t 50% do I get a weaker scan ? reminds me of the old golfing games where the scan % was the power of the stroke ??
Also my scanning is really problematic. I can scan an area several times with no results. then get some later. or even on the 3rd or 4th scan ?? is this my error or just the state of the scanning dev status ? Cheers
My personal take on scanning, again this is trial and error on my part, I normally scan to 100% on initial landing of a surface, rinse and repeat until I find an area to mine in. Normally once I find a node, I head towards it and sometimes rescan very quickly as I approach the node, like a quick click 10-20% maybe, just to reconfirm i'm headed the right way. If you know more nodes are in the vicinity you don't need to do a full scan, normally a half scan will identify where the nodes around you are still.

I've noticed as well sometimes the scan won't go off even at 100%, don't worry just hit left click (or whatever you have the keybind set as) you don't need to hold it, the scan will go off, it's like a delay of some sort. I haven't looked into this issue myself on forums. I did report the issue to CIG as a potential bug but that is it. It works, just sometimes a delay I've found

Reactions: Scape and Slacker

Vavrik

Space Marshal
Donor
Sep 19, 2017
RSI Handle
Vavrik
You don't lose scan capability by holding to too long, it's just if you're moving you can miss something. If you release the scanning early, that works too, but you'll find you need to scan more often to get a good picture of where the nodes are. It's a good idea to scan while slowly turning too, so you can see where the nodes are that are outside of your vision, and some places you'll want to travel much slower than 50 m/s - which is about 110 miles per hour so... that's actually far to fast for scanning and looking for any but the most obvious misses.

Know also, that some nodes will not scan every time, so keep an eye out for minable nodes that haven't reacted to your scans. They're easy to spot if you have experience doing it, and I mean experience... It'll look like a node, won't react to ranged scanning, but will react to scanning with the mining arm extended... you have to do it to get a feel for it. The presentation of this is a little rough, but it basically works.

It takes almost no time to learn how to do this, and it can be fun. Also, if you become fodder for someone else's target practice... which is about all the fight a Prospector can muster in most situations... it's not going to cost you anything but some time. Have fun with it.

There are some bugs and issues with scanning and mining... Number 1 lesson is don't panic. The worst case doesn't cost you anything but some time.

LoicFarris

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 1, 2019
RSI Handle
LoicFarris

Thank you!

I saw you got a few answers on your question about scanning, the only thing I was going to add was that when I hold the scanner to say 25-50% the scan appears to be shorter range, which I'll use when I know I'm near multiple nodes. I'd actually be happy to bring a group of Prospectors out with me to Arial or we can pick a different spot, we'd just need to know which materials we're looking for.

This particular video was more focused on the mechanics of mining to get people started. I want to do another where I cover topics I missed per @Printimus advice. I also want to experiment with quanities of what is mined. I focus so much on Bexilite that I may be missing an opportunity with Hephaestanite, it's not as valuable but it is far more plentiful. If I finished a run with say 5% Bexilite and 10% Hephaestanite, what would be payout be? Once I have my head wrapped around that I want to make a video talking about it.

Thraesh

Vice Admiral
Donor
Mar 4, 2019
RSI Handle
Thraesh19
I normally follow this to figure out what to currently mine

TaraniteIgneous11.804,05
BexaliteFelsic, Obsidian11.309,80
BoraseAsteroid (E-Type)11.047,22
LaraniteGranite1912,63
AgriciumGneiss, Granite, Shale1814,17
HephaestaniteFelsic, Obsidian1470,38

Not sure if the prices are still correct but I know they overall values ranking wise is pretty much spot on

Forgot your password?