What if it's not something we are expecting...

Bruttle

Space Marshal
Donor
Aug 20, 2016
RSI Handle
Bruttle
So, a thought came to me today while lurking in various forums. They just threw the super hornet on sale. A fairly large chunk of a sale honestly. It's not that big of a discount for each ship, but when you look at the larger CIG scale, it becomes a huge loss of income. $20 per ship isn't that much until you multiply it by thousands of sales.

So my mind wandered to the reasons that lead companies to put a thing on sale. There are pretty much only two reasons. There are many others, but mainly just two. The first is to liquidate stock. Either the product does not pay for it's "rent" in the warehouse, or there is simply a more profitable product that can be stored in it's space. This does not apply in this case since the hornet is an electronic good and takes up no physical space.

The other reason is to sell as many as they can before it is devalued by another product. This is the one that got me thinking. They just put the vanguard and the sabre on sale. Now, they put the SH up on sale. They pretty much just went through all of their relevant fighters and put them up for sale. The last and oldest of which went up at a significant discount.

So what if the discount is about the second reason. I, and many others, assumed it was just a marketing fishing expedition (throw it out there and see what bites). They likely need to make more money than their usual daily average and as a result, need their sales to perform better. This leads to trying new things that may work better with your target demographic.

But what if it wasn't a marketing experiment? What if they are about to devalue the Super Hornet. They put this sale up weeks before their anniversary event. They have talked about a concept (Prowler) and several other ships going up for sale. That's when it dawned on me, the F8.

They've toyed with the idea of releasing this ship, since they apparently don't need it in S42 anymore. They spoke briefly about it and it was discussed thoroughly. Most of the RSI forums hated the idea. But, business is business. Everyone needs money and CIG is no exception. What if the Polaris sale was so successful (1.5 million i believe) that they want to continue with the military ship sales.

So, I present the following hypothesis. CIG likes money. CIG has an asset (perhaps even flight ready) that hasn't made them a dime yet. This asset will be the new top dog in single fighters and wreck all current fighters. So, they put their current fighters up for sale one last time before the new fighter makes them obsolete. They then make plans to release the new fighter (possibly at the anniversary live stream).

So what do you think? Will the F8 Lightning show up for sale on the 18th? I'm thinking it just might. If it does show up, how much do you think it would be? My guess would be around $300.

Reactions: Tiger and AstroSam

maynard

Space Marshal
May 20, 2014
RSI Handle
mgk
there you go, thinking again

do you really want to hurt your brain like that?

internet-pixel-spaceships are worth whatever CIG says they are on any given day

that is all

Forgot your password?